Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do You Trust Microwaves?

Options
  • 27-10-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I find myself using the microwave a lot - although I try not to reheat meat in it I do reheat vegetables and potatoes etc. in it.

Got me wondering - do they actually take the good out of foods or does it even matter and it's just another form of heat cooking the food.

Came across this article in particular that says it may even keep more of the vitamins in food:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/02/26/jane-says-everything-you-know-about-microwaves-wrong

Yay or nay to microwave use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

Trust no one

Actually, I don't, but just because I am always secretly scared that this devilish machine might explode. I don't know why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Same here as in don't cook meat in it but no problem cooking/steaming veg or for convenience do those rice pouches in the mickey wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It just heats food. It is safe and doesn't do any harm whatsoever. Unless you're inside of it, which would be both very bad and very improbable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No, they just create friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Haven't had one for a few years and don't miss it. Mixture of trust, space and couldn't be bothered with one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Is it wrong to shag a turkey carcass, after its been warmed up in the microwave, if you use a condom and it's in the privacy of your own home?

My mate wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

put a mobile phone in your microwave and try to call it, if you can
    get a new microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You can measure the speed of light using a microwave and a cheese sandwich. How could you not trust a machine that smart?!?

:pac:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/lightspeed.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Same here as in don't cook meat in it but no problem cooking/steaming veg or for convenience do those rice pouches in the mickey wave.

Sounds dirty :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I trusted it to keep itself clean and it never did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I trust it to heat my food.... as regards anything else... minding the kids, walking the dog.. id have my reservations...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Microwave ovens are very dangerous.

Kind regards,
    Regular oven makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yeah, of course I trust them. They're harmless. It's the big waves you gotta watch out for.
    biko wrote: »
    Microwave ovens are very dangerous.

Kind regards,
    Regular oven makers.

Biko, we know it's you. We can see your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah especially when they heat the bowl and not the food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bico, we know it's you. We can see your username.

Bico!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Beko make microwaves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Not very well i would say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Haven't had one in over 10 years. Only time I miss one is when making popcorn.

Much prefer to reheat food in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Jellyfish have been around for half a billion years and they never invented anything remotely like a microwave. Hell, they can't even cook.

What does that tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I once had a toaster go behind my back and tell all my secrets to my family. Since then I've never trusted a single appliance.

You can hear them sneer at you - especially the kettle - that whiny, whistling untrustworthy b*stard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

realies wrote: »
    Is it wrong to shag a turkey carcass, after its been warmed up in the microwave, if you use a condom and it's in the privacy of your own home?

My mate wants to know.
    Its fine,just be careful as they heat from the inside out and may burn your mickey.

My mate told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

snoopy12 wrote: »
    Haven't had one for a few years and don't miss it. Mixture of trust, space and couldn't be bothered with one.

This reads like someone explaining why they're single.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Reminds me of the time when I tried to heat Nutella in the microwave with a bit of the tin foil cover still on the jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Jellyfish have been around for half a billion years and they never invented anything remotely like a microwave. Hell, they can't even cook.

What does that tell you?

Not a lot.

But I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Billy86 wrote: »
    Bico!?

Is that you, Steve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

What does that tell you?

That you are insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A microwave ran off with my girlfriend. So, no. I don't trust microwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

A big angry bastard of a wasp flew into the work microwave during the summer so naturally I slammed the door and turned on full power.Within 3 seconds he dropped on the spinning plate thing and died.

A few weeks passed and encouraged by my success with the wasp,I enticed a bluebottle into the same microwave with some jam and repeated my cruel experiment.In fairness I began to feel sorry for him,buzzing around and going nuts before dying.The little bastard survived 50 seconds on full power.

The staff canteen stank of boiled bluebottle for the afternoon.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy in cooking times between wasps and bluebottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I remember when I was pregnant reading that you shouldn't stand in front of the microwave while you were using it. All we ever use ours for is making porridge or heating sauces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Once tried to heat a tin of beans without opening the tin. Blew the door off the microwave and showered the kitchen with beans and frightened the **** out of me . Never trusted one again.

Advertisement