Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

He was hurt that's obvious to everyone but the point is it's the championship game! If you can walk you can go. I feel for Cutler. This is the first time since high school he's been in a winning team. Its impossible to go that long without winning and for it not to affect you. People say he had worse games were he got more beat up and kept playing but none of them were even close to as important as this one.

I think he got hurt and did use it as an excuse to come out of the game. I could obviously be wrong but thats what I think.

Anyway you guys should still have been in it. That end around play was a SHOCKING call...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pay him now

The fact that Todd Collins made 5 times more than him this year is sickening. Thanks for the 5.9 QB rating, Todd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

That's ridiculous. If I was in charge over there, I would just throw bags of money at him until he said stop :D

From the link in the post to the yahoo sports page there are only 5 players whose salary is listed are earning a lower base salary than him.

Chester Taylor /=/ Three Million imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭spillit67

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Pay him now

The fact that Todd Collins made 5 times more than him this year is sickening. Thanks for the 5.9 QB rating, Todd.

Wtf.

And from that link below- How do **** is Rashid Davis making so much?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Dent finally makes the HOF

• Advertisement

About time! Full deserved.

I see Jerry has gotten us our big WR :p. CFL star Andy Fantuz.

He has his own cereal so he must be good.
    Fantuz-Cereal.jpg

2011 Chicago Bears training camp hero right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

So three games in and we are 1-2. :(
    There is still plenty of time to get things together though. :)
    Have to say that I am impressed with Sanzenbacher though.

Should do better against the panthers though....

Thought I'd drag this back up. Great start yesterday, a win against the Colts was always expected of course. But how good did that offense look putting the first two series aside? There were 6 players that made a catch for 17 yards or more. Marshall was fantastic, Jeffery hauled in that 42 yard TD and the Forte/Bush combo are probably the best 1-2 in the league. Even E-Rod at fullback had a solid game. Nice run blocking throughout and he is another potential threat in the passing game.

Good job to the O-Line also, they continued to improve as the game went on.

I hope Peanut is okay to play on TNF, the short turnaround might keep him out. No walking boot at Halas Hall today, just a strap which is a good sign. He said he got hit in the shin. Hayden looked pretty good when he came in with Jennings going over to Peanuts spot.

Putting the pack in an 0-2 hole on Thursday night would be unbelievable.

Bear down! bearbang-2.gif

Oh, also at 11pm tonight "The Jay Cutler Show" will debut on ESPN 1000 Radio if anyone wants to listen to Cutty! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Can't wait for Thursday night absolutely huge game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Would be great to put a 2 game lead over the pack so early.

Loads of positives from the opener even though it was the Colts. Passing and rushing game are looking good. O-line was ok (Spencer left a few too many holes) but their night was made easier once Freeney was out of the game. Much tougher defences out there. Cant argue with 5 takeaways, if the defence keeps that up we'll be right up there for the superbowl

Roll on thursday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I love the balance of the offense, the threat of Forte running, setting up the play-action pass with Marshall downfield. Defenses have to respect both now, they can't just stack the box, and it gives you a lot of different options.

There was a good description of the Alshon Jeffrey TD from some of the players:
    That bomb up the middle to Jeffrey was made possible by the attention placed on Marshall.

That play showcased the new Bears' offense and Cutler's confidence in running it.

"If you look at it, you have to pay attention to what Jay did (on that play)," Marshall said. "Jay made an audible, but the audible was for me to go attract that safety. That's what you expect out of your quarterback, a quarterback like Jay to put guys in position. Jay drew it up perfectly, where he put me on a route to grab the safety, and it freed up the route."

Forte said one of the safeties was playing up to stop him, while the other was on Marshall's adjusted route.

"I saw that the safety was cheating over toward (Marshall), and when I was running my route, I was just looking at the safety the whole time,"

Jeffery said. "Once I saw him turn, I knew it was coming to me then."

Shows the value of Marshall, even when he isn't being targetted (also the extra audible lee-way under Mike Tice).

Ok, the opposition wasn't great. The pass-rush was able to get to Luck without sending too many people. A bit of a concern on the defense was the MLB position, though they troubled Luck a lot, he was still able to throw for 300 yards and a lot of it seemed to be through the middle. I guess Urlacher still isn't 100%. The defense didn't get bad overnight but it's a slight concern heading to Green Bay where the QB is unlikely to throw 3 picks.

I don't think the Packers got bad overnight either, and it'll be a much tougher assignment on Thursday. Quite a big game to be playing this early in the season, but in that case, I prefer to be the road team instead of the home team: it's more of a must-win game for the Packers than the Bears.

The Alshon TD was highlighted on Tom Thayers Play of the Week on chicagobears.com. The multimedia section of the site is much better now since the revamp. A lot easier to navigate and see the press conferences etc.
    padraig_f wrote: »
    A bit of a concern on the defense was the MLB position, though they troubled Luck a lot, he was still able to throw for 300 yards and a lot of it seemed to be through the middle. I guess Urlacher still isn't 100%.

Urlacher looked pretty slow and out-of-sorts. But with no pre-season at all that is to be expected. Luck picked up a ton of garbage yards across the middle in the second half, like a lot of QBs do against the Bears when they have a healthy lead. Lovies cover-2 has always been more than happy to give them those yards and wait for a takeaway.

Well..

I thought our uniforms looked quite nice :(

I knew a defeat was possible but the manner of it was a bit depressing. The offensive line got beat up so badly, you wonder how fixable it is, and the way they played gave the team no chance to win.

With the lack of pass-protection, Forte going out was a big loss. If they had any chance of winning, it was necessary to have him in there for screen-passes and dump-offs. I think Michael Bush is a good addition to the team, and he did well in what he was asked to do, but he's not the versatile player Forte is.

Trying to be optimistic, this is the 2nd game of the new Tice/Marshall offense, so there are probably things they're still working out. Apart from the offensive-line, I think one thing they need to work on is when Marshall is double-covered, punishing the pass-defense elsewhere. They showed the safety shading over to Marshall the whole night, but they weren't able to exploit the single coverage elsewhere.

I questioned the defense before the game, but they played well and kept them in the game as much as possible. They have 10 days off now to try and fix a few things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The good news for you guys is the division is still very winnable. Green Bay don't look to be anything like people thought they were. It's still a very strong division, but more games will be lost by all 3 competitive teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hoggy87

padraig_f wrote: »
    Apart from the offensive-line, I think one thing they need to work on is when Marshall is double-covered, punishing the pass-defense elsewhere. They showed the safety shading over to Marshall the whole night, but they weren't able to exploit the single coverage elsewhere.

I think given the problems with the O-line, the offense is not allowed to take advantage of the Marshall coverage elsewhere because it's all hands on deck trying to help out that big ball of crap, J'Marcus Webb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

davyjose wrote: »
    The good news for you guys is the division is still very winnable. Green Bay don't look to be anything like people thought they were. It's still a very strong division, but more games will be lost by all 3 competitive teams.

Imo Detroit could be a great shout for winning the division. Everyone's talking about the Bears and Packers but write the Lions off at your peril, especially with a week 17 potential decider between them and the Bears in Ford Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trouble in the camp?
    Most Chicago Bears want nothing to do with talk about Jay Cutler's boorish behavior on the sidelines during Thursday's Green Bay game and his postgame comments, but nickelback D.J. Moore has always had his own mind since joining the team in 2009.

Asked Monday if criticism of Cutler was warranted for pushing LT J'Marcus Webb from behind while hollering following one of the Packers' sacks, Moore didn't let the fact that he plays the other side of the ball get in the way of free thought.

"What did he do?" Moore asked the media sarcastically. "Did he shove the guy?"

"Oh yeah, I think so. I don't think you can act like that though; to make it seem like it's just my fault or whatnot. I think it's just wrong, though honestly. I would feel the same kind of way if he was to do me like that. It would make it seem like, well, the reason I'm having a bad game is because it's what you're doing and not me taking accountability for myself because I'm throwing these type of passes or doing this type of read. So it's just a tough situation."

Quarterbacks often are allowed leeway in such incidents since they're team leaders and under more pressure than most players.

“Sometimes," Moore acknowledged. "But when you act like that, though, with your own teammates on the sideline, it's just something different that you normally wouldn't do. You might say it in the locker room or something, but to do it like he did, that's something different. It's just weird."

"I think it's just him," Moore said. "That's the type of guy he is. He's not going to hold anything back.

"So I mean, if he was to talk to the team I guess you would kind of feel weird about it because it's really not just his thing."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20212811/bears-dj-moore-finds-jay-cutlers-behavior-just-wrong

I did think it was pretty childish behavious from Cutler the last night getting a sly push in the back in whilst he was walking away. By all means lose the plot at your O-line but at least do it man to man on the sideline with helmets off or in the changing room. Just from searching around the web he seems to have the reputation of someone who is pretty immature? (like most Google searches, it can probably be taken with a pinch of salt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Trouble in the camp?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20212811/bears-dj-moore-finds-jay-cutlers-behavior-just-wrong

I did think it was pretty childish behavious from Cutler the last night getting a sly push in the back in whilst he was walking away. By all means lose the plot at your O-line but at least do it man to man on the sideline with helmets off or in the changing room. Just from searching around the web he seems to have the reputation of someone who is pretty immature? (like most Google searches, it can probably be taken with a pinch of salt)

Cutler is and was always a hot head. A guy who could never keep his mouth shut including his college days. And the cracks are starting to show with him. But I do feel for him as he gets little or no protection in the pocket and as a QB who has dealt with the same thing for many years there will come a time where you blow your lid. Just look at Tom Brady when he gets no protection he gets visibly upset and his game is affected by it.

I honestly do think that this is a case of Oh typical Jay always at his nonsense. Not that his behavior on Sunday was excusable but lets face it the Bears need to sort out the main problem everybody knows they have had for how long now? That offensive line.

To add I like Jay Cutler as a QB and when he came out of Vandy I thought he would do big things but he seems to be always on the end of little or no protection. 1 good season of protection in 6 is bad and no QB should have to put up with 119 sacks in 41 games with one organisation over 3 and a bit seasons.

Trouble in the camp?

Nah, paper talk, the media blow these things up way more than they are. If you're getting your ass kicked on the field, people are going to be arguing with each other, you'd be more worried if they weren't.

Will be a change in the offensive line next week at left-guard:
    Bears making a move on the offensive line

Caught a bit of the Rams last night against the Redksins, looked decent enough (offensively anyway), not the pushover they were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Usual bull**** about Cutler. Cutler stands on the sidelines and chews his mouth piece or camera catches him in the NFC championship game not looking into it for 10 seconds and, he's no leader and he has no passion. He gets annoyed and passionate (with Webb this year, mic catches him cursing Martz last for being duds) and he is immature. He looks disappointed in an interview after a loss and the media pillars him again for being immature/not a leader (insert whichever you want), mainly because he gives them none of the fluff others in the league do. Cutler for several years backed his Oline up in interviews, one slip after a multiple sack game and he doesn't back his guys. There's only so long you can accept the crap on the line which he has.

Cutler_middle_finger.jpg

Jay Cutler Show is on atm and he's discussing everything that happened. I expect just about everything he says to be scrutinised and taken out of context, as it is with most quotes from a Bear.

Great to see Matt Forte practiced today, I wasn't that optimistic about winning in Dallas without him. I don't think Dallas are great, but the Bears' offense sucked pretty badly again versus the Rams. The defense were great though and they'll give the team a chance. Hopefully Forte plays and the offense can perform competently.

There's no gimmies but today is about as close as we can get, I quite like the Jaguars but they're not quite where then need to be yet.

We have a chance to put good confidence building back to back road victories together, I will actually be crushed if we don't get a win today.

mayordenis wrote: »
    There's no gimmies but today is about as close as we can get, I quite like the Jaguars but they're not quite where then need to be yet.

We have a chance to put good confidence building back to back road victories together, I will actually be crushed if we don't get a win today.

This.

Also, I could use another Cutty to Marshall hookup for my fantasy team. Really need a big day from them!

The Jags only have 2 sacks this season so far, and I think I read that they haven't had one in the last 9 quarters of football, but i could be wrong on that. Hopefully Cutler will get time to throw, the running game can do some work and it will be a confidence boost for the O-line.

I said in the betting thread I think the Jags are one of the worst teams in the league, they seem to have gone backwards defensively and look very one-dimensional on offense with so much going through MJD. Should be a good matchup for the Bears with how well the front-seven is playing, but games aren't won on paper, still need to go out and do it.

Good improvements in the offensive-line against Dallas, it's probably never going to be brilliant but with a combination of better blocking, help from tight-end/backs, and having hot-passes available when things broke down, made it look pretty good. I liked seeing them open things up a bit more against Dallas than they did against the Rams, with some more deep passes.

Hope to see that progress continue, and would like to see Jeffery/Davis get involved more in the passing game, just to give defenses more to think about. Marshall did well out of the slot last week, good to see that versatility.

fistbumpbros.gif

Good win, just a pity our main rivals for the NFC North, the Minnesota Vikings, won as well :)

Still motoring quietly along, 2 very winnable games, and then our real run starts, we have to go into that run 7-1 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

mayordenis wrote: »
    Still motoring quietly along, 2 very winnable games, and then our real run starts, we have to go into that run 7-1 imo.
    Amen to that ,

still don't think we should be fearing the tougher teams ( our defence is one absolute fire )

• Advertisement

Good to get the win, gotta win those home divisional games.

Defense was great, pass-rush made Stafford look like a rookie at times. Great one-on-one job by Tillman on Calvin Johnson as well.

Offense isn't playing good enough. 13 points (and 3 were a gift with the muffed punt), 1 touchdown at home. Was hoping it'd be better out of the bye week.

Marshall and Forte are doing well, but need better production out of others. Offensive-line gave up 5 sacks and a bunch of penalties. Got almost nothing from the tight-ends (I guess partly because they're helping out blocking), and not much from the other receivers. Pity Jeffery got that injury in Jacksonville, he'd got his 2nd touchdown and would've benefited a lot from the bye-week. Hopefully Hester & Bennett can step up, because it looks like he'll be out for another few weeks.

Pro-Football Focus have an article today on how Calvin Johnson was defended: Covering the Uncoverable

Advertisement