Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineer fees for Attic Conversion

• 26-02-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am looking to have my attic converted.
    Now there is no structural work to be carried out, the joists have been done in a way that it already allows for a conversion.
    The house is a bungalow with a steep pitch.

I want to convert it into two bedrooms and I want to get a certificate of compliance so I want go ahead and get planning etc. Lots of identical houses around me have the work done.

I got an engineer out to look at the attic and get a price for his work. He was amazed [in a good way] with the way the attic was done and he said it is a nice job with a lot of the main work already done...all that's needed is the usual wiring, plumbing , carpentry etc.

Anyway, the engineer gave me a quote of €2200 (excluding VAT!) for doing a few drawings [for submitting the planning] and supervisory work.

Now I think this is crazy money for a small attic conversion, I know lads you had an entire house done for the same price.

Am I being ripped off here or am I out of touch?

Any help would be appreciated, I am getting nowhere with this...it's all very frustrating.

Does anyone know some honest decent engineers who might actually be grateful for the work?? PM me if u you want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some people paid similar for a house, what kind of service do you think they got.

Planning alone take a few hours to put together, then you have the site supervision, if you pay for somebody to fully supervise a build, he will be there to fully supervise it.
    If you find somebody willing to do it for 1k, he will be there alot less.

You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Does anyone know some honest decent engineers who might actually be grateful for the work?? PM me if u you want.

try the Calcutta yellow pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

A friend of mine used to work in a key cutting shop and he couldnt get over how much people complained about the price of getting a car key cut for the executive cars because when you worked it out it came to less than 1% of the value of the car.
    That engineer if certifying the conversion is essentially insuring it with their PI insurance. How much is this conversion going to cost you and how much value is it going to add to your house when certified. They will have to produce drawings of the existing and proposed, put together a planning application and remember that working on an existing building is a lot more work than a new build so all considering they may not really want the job.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Folks,

I am looking to have my attic converted.
    Now there is no structural work to be carried out, the joists have been done in a way that it already allows for a conversion.
    The house is a bungalow with a steep pitch.

I want to convert it into two bedrooms and I want to get a certificate of compliance so I want go ahead and get planning etc. Lots of identical houses around me have the work done.

I got an engineer out to look at the attic and get a price for his work. He was amazed [in a good way] with the way the attic was done and he said it is a nice job with a lot of the main work already done...all that's needed is the usual wiring, plumbing , carpentry etc.

Anyway, the engineer gave me a quote of €2200 (excluding VAT!) for doing a few drawings [for submitting the planning] and supervisory work.

Now I think this is crazy money for a small attic conversion, I know lads you had an entire house done for the same price.

Am I being ripped off here or am I out of touch?

Any help would be appreciated, I am getting nowhere with this...it's all very frustrating.

You seem to have a low opinion or respect for the work involved.

That quote is very reasonable in my opinion.

The engineer appears to be accepting responsibility for the structural changes necessary, that alone will costs you.
    He is offering some kind of supervisionary role, you havent given any other detail.
    He is designing the layout of the new attic conversion and how it affects the existing dwelling, and he is also preparing the planning application.

You should expect to pay between €1000 - €1500 alone for the supervision and certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mellor wrote: »
    Some people paid similar for a house, what kind of service do you think they got.

Planning alone take a few hours to put together, then you have the site supervision, if you pay for somebody to fully supervise a build, he will be there to fully supervise it.
    If you find somebody willing to do it for 1k, he will be there alot less.

You get what you pay for.

well the person who got an engineer to do a full house (3000sq ft!) was my brother and he was very happy with the results (he is in Galway so I can't use the same engineer)..and the build took over 1 year to complete, the work for my attic conversion would take 3-5 weeks!

The engineer said the supervisory visits would be one or two a week!
    I just don't think the €2200 fee really is value for money, but maybe I am wrong!

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You seem to have a low opinion or respect for the work involved.

That quote is very reasonable in my opinion.

The engineer appears to be accepting responsibility for the structural changes necessary, that alone will costs you.
    He is offering some kind of supervisionary role, you havent given any other detail.
    He is designing the layout of the new attic conversion and how it affects the existing dwelling, and he is also preparing the planning application.

You should expect to pay between €1000 - €1500 alone for the supervision and certification.

well he is not really doing much design work because my neighbour was kind enough to allow us in to see the attic conversion they did and I just want a carbon copy of that work! He took all measurements from that work etc.

Anyway, OK, so you reckon that fee is normal. Fair enough.
    It's not that I don't have respect for the work carried out but I just don't know much about this kind of thing...no need to get all hot and bothered about it.

sinnerboy wrote: »
    try the Calcutta yellow pages

great, thanks for that.

Ask for a break down of costs, and you might change your mind.

Estimate the hours he will have to do, assign an hourly rate.
    Plus the fees for newspaper, lodging etc. Then overheads such as PI insurance, hardware and soft ware etc.

Ask for a break down of costs, and you might change your mind.

Estimate the hours he will have to do, assign an hourly rate.
    Plus the fees for newspaper, lodging etc. Then overheads such as PI insurance, hardware and soft ware etc.

what do you mean hardware and software??

and the small matter of fire which you engineer will have to specify and certify on completion .....

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

• Advertisement

Was an example of some of the overheads of doing this work. Computer programs are needed, they aren't cheap. Computers also, paper, printing etc. Each one of its own isn't going to add a huge cost, but all together they add up.
    If you were to buy a good PC, a plotter and a copy of autocad, you are looking at maybe 6k or more

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's not that I don't have respect for the work carried out but I just don't know much about this kind of thing...no need to get all hot and bothered about it.

dont worry, your posts dont have me neither 'hot' nor 'bothered'....

perhaps you should get another professional to quote for the same job... after all the more quotes the better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Well you should get some other quotes to compare but it doesnt seem like a lot to me , you said it would take 3-5 weeks ,

For arguments sake lets say it took 5 weeks and he spent 200 hours on the job , supervising and so on , thats 1600 if he was to accept minimum wage .... but you dont get an engineering degree to work for minimum wage do you ? .... and then theres the overheads and paperwork , planning apps and so on ,

2200 seems very reasonable to me , but again like I said , get a few quotes , I would imagine its a reasonable price. The only way you'd get that job cheaper would be to go with a handyman and accept uncertified work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You aren't really getting screwed tbh. You are asking for an indemnity cover on the job and he is providing that.
    You could have gotten a draughtsman to draw up the planned alteration and submit them yourself, get a reliable (good luck) builder to do the work, It will probably be as safe, it shouldn't take from the value of the house, Draughtsman will charge a couple of hundred for the drawings, builder will charge whatever he charges.
    Or you could take it on yourself. DIY ain't rocket science. Get a copy of the homebond book, It has all you need in it. The engineer ain't screwing you, but thats not to say you're not screwing yourself.

Was an example of some of the overheads of doing this work. Computer programs are needed, they aren't cheap. Computers also, paper, printing etc. Each one of its own isn't going to add a huge cost, but all together they add up.
    If you were to buy a good PC, a plotter and a copy of autocad, you are looking at maybe 6k or more

Yes but does the engineer buy a new license for Autocad & new PC for every job he takes on???

mathias wrote: »
    Well you should get some other quotes to compare but it doesnt seem like a lot to me , you said it would take 3-5 weeks ,

For arguments sake lets say it took 5 weeks and he spent 200 hours on the job , supervising and so on , thats 1600 if he was to accept minimum wage .... but you dont get an engineering degree to work for minimum wage do you ? .... and then theres the overheads and paperwork , planning apps and so on ,

2200 seems very reasonable to me , but again like I said , get a few quotes , I would imagine its a reasonable price. The only way you'd get that job cheaper would be to go with a handyman and accept uncertified work.

absolutely, I will get some more quotes but my problem is actually getting lads out to look at the work and when they do it is next to impossible to get them on the phone later on to send me out a quote!

You aren't really getting screwed tbh. You are asking for an indemnity cover on the job and he is providing that.
    You could have gotten a draughtsman to draw up the planned alteration and submit them yourself, get a reliable (good luck) builder to do the work, It will probably be as safe, it shouldn't take from the value of the house, Draughtsman will charge a couple of hundred for the drawings, builder will charge whatever he charges.
    Or you could take it on yourself. DIY ain't rocket science. Get a copy of the homebond book, It has all you need in it. The engineer ain't screwing you, but thats not to say you're not screwing yourself.

yes but I want to get a certificate of compliance so the DIY route is not an option (trust me, I am useless at DIY).

Anyway, the general consensus is that I am not being ripped off, that's good news anyway. Now I'm not too annoyed ;)

Yes but does the engineer buy a new license for Autocad & new PC for every job he takes on???
    No of course not, thats why his isn't charging you 10k. don't be so silly/childish, I was highlightlighting some of the overheads, that is an example of how little this are over looked and add up.

Like I said, do up a hourly rate and estimated hours and see how you feel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

... and speaking of overheads, dont forget to take into account the wages he pays his employees that spend all day on the internet trawling to posts on boards.ie instead of doing any work.

You all know who you are!!!!!!!!

No of course not, thats why his isn't charging you 10k. don't be so silly/childish, I was highlightlighting some of the overheads, that is an example of how little this are over looked and add up.

Like I said, do up a hourly rate and estimated hours and see how you feel then.

i'm not being silly/childish but there is no need to go into the finer details, sure you could apply that to anything...anyway,the general vibe here is that I am not being screwed so that's good.

10k for a PC and Autocad!! Has he not heard of torrents:D (seriously, I'm joking now, evil torrents of course)

I will have a proper chat with the engineer to flesh it all out...

• Advertisement

But can you catch us ???

At least its not bebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

and the small matter of fire which you engineer will have to specify and certify on completion .....

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

From the pdf:
    The extra cost of professional services should pay for itself by
    helping to ensure that the conversion is up to standard and is safe
    for you and your family.

With cheese please !

Homebond, British Standards or Barry construction , with a little calculator work can put the fire regs to bed in less than a half hour. Certificate isn't gonna put out a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Certificate isn't gonna put out a fire.

But sub -standard work can easily start one! Me , I'd pay the extra for certified work , if only for the peace of mind.

Also the fact that if you ever go to sell, if it isn't certified, the house will be worth less.

With cheese please !

Homebond, British Standards or Barry construction , with a little calculator work can put the fire regs to bed in less than a half hour. Certificate isn't gonna put out a fire.

can I borrow YOUR calculator ?

Also the fact that if you ever go to sell, if it isn't certified, the house will be worth less.

exactly, that's one of the reasons I want to get all the work certified..anyway i am still waiting on the written quote from the engineer to actually see what the fee includes...it's like pulling teeth with this lad i tell ya.

can I borrow YOUR calculator ?

If you have a computer and excel it is a piece of piss. Really. All it takes is the confidence to start at the beginning , label everything well so you can spot mistakes and double check at the end. Its all the engineer is doing. It isn't rocket science. Fire risk from an attic conversion can only come from total retardedness. Don't be so dramatic..

I rather you used ignorance than retardness.
    Alot of people aren't aware of the regs in relation to an attic conversion

• Advertisement

If you have a computer and excel it is a piece of piss. Really. All it takes is the confidence to start at the beginning , label everything well so you can spot mistakes and double check at the end. Its all the engineer is doing. It isn't rocket science. Fire risk from an attic conversion can only come from total retardedness. Don't be so dramatic..

silly person

Advertisement