Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

29 (15/14) off 23 in Macreddin on Sunday. Lovely course, just two of us playing casually and got a buggy so we were fairly relaxed and I was trying constant miracle shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Followed up my good round Friday in Longford with a solid 38pts on Saturday in Moate and got cut .3 for both those recent results so am thankfully back down to 15 and have the hc heading in the right direction for the first time in a good while. .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

35 points off 18 in my first ever comp in Old Conna over the weekend.

I frustratingly just about made my tee time and had only two points after 3 holes so recovered pretty well before making a mess of the last 3. Definitely some positive signs.

1 birdie
    4 pars
    7 bogeys
    5 doubles
    1 scratch

35 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Again very impromptu - have a target of improving my parkland golf , and today emphasized how bad it is. To be fair - it was a horrendous wind, so any efforts to try get over stuff resulted in a ball floating with the wind. Bizarre conditions , because was warm, sunny , lovely day - but hard work.

Anyway - hit Forrest little. Hadn't been there in a good while and last time I was there it wasn't in great condition. But the place is stunning at present - almost too full , leaving very tight lines on holes, almost no line on some.

The greens and tee boxes are perfect .

I was 8 over on the front :eek: - was in the trees about 6 times, Did ok on the back 9 - 4 over. Total 12 over.

Back to earth .

The club was a flurry of activity - was great to see, because there have been rumors and doubts about the place for a while.

My wedge play is terrible for that type of golf - not sure where to go with it. I need to see a pro. But covid is a strange time, you don't know , how, or who or when you should do anything. I'm struggling too with any real practice facilities for short game (our place still a bit odd) but again is links grass.

Not my style of golf , but was nice to play an old style Irish Parkland, there is a very interesting mix of holes and shapes. I had 3 birds only positive. But I made an error of power over accuracy - when power is not needed there.

I'm going to practice wedges on different surfaces (somehow) and try break 80 in next few weeks. A start. An eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

Flipping hell, 11 points again off 24. Played Ashbourne this time, first time there. Certainly didn't help that there was no course map on the back of the card but that's probably something we should be looking at before heading out.

I've a question. 11 (3/8) is absolutely terrible. Should I be playing off a higher handicap!? :D I've no idea where 24 came from to be honest. Should I just suck it up, practice more and get better?

On the course itself I found it quite tough going and there was incredible wind so any height on the ball and it was shifting in the air. Driving was OK but my 5 iron play was terrible and my putting was worse than usual, and that's saying something. I was happy with my PW, 8 and 7s though. Again, even with a crap score I definitely enjoyed it, the few good shots make up for the other 80-90 or so bad shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This is it wrote: »
    Flipping hell, 11 points again off 24. Played Ashbourne this time, first time there. Certainly didn't help that there was no course map on the back of the card but that's probably something we should be looking at before heading out.

I've a question. 11 (3/8) is absolutely terrible. Should I be playing off a higher handicap!? :D I've no idea where 24 came from to be honest. Should I just suck it up, practice more and get better?

On the course itself I found it quite tough going and there was incredible wind so any height on the ball and it was shifting in the air. Driving was OK but my 5 iron play was terrible and my putting was worse than usual, and that's saying something. I was happy with my PW, 8 and 7s though. Again, even with a crap score I definitely enjoyed it, the few good shots make up for the other 80-90 or so bad shots

Practice practice practice

It will be addressed at the annual handicap review and/or change of handicap system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Practice practice practice

It will be addressed at the annual handicap review and/or change of handicap system

Yeah, thought so. Getting in as much time as I can at the moment but hopefully I'll have more free time come September. One big issue is my 5 iron where I get the same height and distance as my 7, I think I'm hitting it on the upswing and lifting it into the air. Might look for a few lessons if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Finally beat my handicap with 37 points off 16 in Knightsbrook yesterday. I drove superbly all day. It's a very long but open course so it's driver all the way and several holes need a hybrid or e wood for 2nd shot.
    I had 2 well hit shots with a bit too much draw and lost balls and cost me 4 points.
    It was a perfect evening for golf and course was in great condition. It's so hard though to match your handicap when you make a couple of big errors in a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

36 points on Saturday and 38 off 14 points on Monday. Last few weeks I think I have finally figured out how to hit my irons more consistently, it was beginning to get me down as I used to be a fairly decent iron player back when I played before my 10 year hiatus. Hopefully its not just an anomaly!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

32 off eleven in Monday open. A couple of wayward shots but not by much. Striking it well for the most part. Bunker play is shocking but then again so where bunkers. Finished with with two doubles and was embarrassed because it looked like I was pulling up. Thankfully the CSS was 34 so no point one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Shocking stuff today. Midweek Open in Blessington Lakes and had 27 (16/11) off 23. We were out early so conditions were horrible, lashed rain for all but three holes. One of which was the ninth and if it hadn't have stopped then I reckon I prob would have just jumped straight in the car.

Putting was way off today, had 6 putts that were on perfect line that I left 6-12 inches short.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

The big one today, captain's prize.

Started bogey bogey but then steadied the ship for a +3 front 9 and 19 points

Remained +3 through 16 with some great chipping and putting. 36 points. (+1 in a 15 hole stretch)

3 putted 17.

Leaked driver a small bit on 18 and was unlucky to find a terrible lay. Took 2 to punch out and ended up with a double. Ding.

37 points off 7 and once again a disappointing finish after being in such a great position.
    1 birdie 11 pars 5 bogeys 1 double.

Most likely will be beat in a countback for category prize like last year.

The silver lining is that i feel 7 is too high for me and a score will come, just need to tidy up a small bit.

Was announced as winning front 9 prize on a countback on saturday evening.

Comp secretary then text yesterday to say someone pointed out they had 21 on front 9 so prize gone.

some young new joiner 26 handicapper :D and scores aren't on HDID anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Played Thursday evening the best round of my life. 69 shots around corballis with a double bogey on 12 and 13.

My GIR and FIR were around 50% and 45%. My scrambling/up and down was 75% which is the absolute key thing. I have worked pretty hard in the last few weeks on my putting stroke. I am lagging the ball nicely and I feel confident over anything under 6 feet.

Long game and approach play was not more than okay for a large part of the round. Hit a super nice shot from a terrible lie on 14 which snapped me out of my double bogey mindset. From there home I felt great swinging the ball, made great connections and was unlucky not to pick up a few more birdies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Back down to earth with 29pts around Kileens in Killarney today. Did OK bar a bad three putt on the first and 3 blobs all as a result of errant drives, two of which were lost. Birdied the last after being in a fairway bunker. Course was in good nick given all the rain last night and this morning. Must get the driver behaving again, I'm hitting it off the heel for the bad ones. Scratch cup this weekend so time to hit the range!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Tralee yesterday (Tuesday). 16 points off 24.

Arrived in shorts and tee. Was breezy...

Finished in full wet gear, hanging onto umbrella for dear
    life and looking like a drowned rat. Wind howling all day.
    Worst weather I have ever played in. If hadn’t paid over green fees and was winning (with partner carrying me) would have walked after 9...no, make that after 3 holes. Utterly impossible golf, but great craic.

The sight of a decent straight drive drifting 100yards+ to the right or left/ball moving on the green/body falling over on tee box and green/sand and water in the eyes etc etc etc with the wind and rain was soul destroying but sure Feck it.

BEAUTIFUL course (until couldn’t see the ocean about 8 holes in with the rain).

But never ever again playing golf in those conditions...never!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Havent posted my last few rounds here as was too busy golfing...

Played a match in my home singles matchplay and won 6&4, we played the round out and I shot 77 gross. would have been good enough for second in the weekly comp, but I don't like doubling up comps as its not allowed, even though lots do it.

Played 27 holes in Carne. had 49 points for the 27 off 10.
    Had a great front nine on the "Wild Atlantic Dunes" course, was +2 gross for the front with 8 pars and a double for 21 points.
    Back nine was a bit of a disaster 3 pars, 2 bogeys and 4 scratches for 13 points.
    - Had a couple of pints then played the remaining nine.
    4 pars, 2 bogeys, 1 double, 2 scratches for 15 points.

Played Strandhill then on the Wednesday, started great again, was +4 after 13 gross, so was tracking for a good score then it went downhill.
    3 putted the Par3 14th, tried to play safe off the tee on the 15th and lost the ball, and lost the ball off the tee on the 16th too.
    ended up with 34pts. wasn't too bad considering first time playing but it was off the greens.

Last Friday was playing home course, was playing bad but was still to my H/C, got rained off after 13 holes. Rain was just too much to play in.

Playing this Saturday, hopefully put in a good performance in the club comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

42 Pts 2 Saturdays ago to win, cut 0.9
    3Up (loss on 18 :( ) yesterday to come 6th out of 198 Competitors, cut 0.3. We've averaged over 180 competitors in all Competitions in Open Week so far: thanks to all who travelled to Rosses Point to play!! 4 days left: https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php
    Today Scotch Foursomes, Fri Singles Stableford, Sat Fourball, Sun Singles Stableford

I'm 0.1 above my lowest H'cap ever: flyin' it!!!

42 Pts 2 Saturdays ago to win, cut 0.9
    3Up (loss on 18 :( ) yesterday to come 6th out of 198 Competitors, cut 0.3. We've averaged over 180 competitors in all Competitions in Open Week so far: thanks to all who travelled to Rosses Point to play!! 4 days left: https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php
    Today Scotch Foursomes, Fri Singles Stableford, Sat Fourball, Sun Singles Stableford

I'm 0.1 above my lowest H'cap ever: flyin' it!!!

Was going to play Rosses Point last week, but opted for Strandhill, was better value on the day. hoping to get to Rosses soon though, wont make open week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Managed to get out on old portmarnock for pierce Purcell practice this afternoon.

39 points 17/22

Driving was unreal good all day. Managed to get my game going nicely in the back 9. Didn't make any birdies so it was solid golf for the most part.
    Really enjoyed the course. Great layout, Bunkers perfectly placed and the greens were lovely to play on. Some serious run offs but have to say I thought they were very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Decided to play a new course in Athlone this week(Glasson was the other option). With their open competition on a Wednesday for a steal of 20 euro, it was definitely time for a first spin out to Hodson Bay...

With the forecast being so poor we knew that teeing off in the late afternoon was the best idea. What a treat it was!

Perhaps because of the expected heavy weather the fairways and tee boxes were quite hairy! The greens were lush and the course held the previous 24 hours of rain quite well.

Some of the holes there are breathtaking! First hole is like a fairy tale, though yellow tees for competition denied us the chance to tee off from the elevated tee box. Bad double to start. Second is a neat par 3 and a bad tee shot gave me a four. 3rd hole is tricky so was delighted to nail a long putt for a bogey after a drop!. 4th hole brought a double after a dodgy drive while a poor approach on 5 gave me a double again. Then a bogey on the short par 3 and a nice par after I nailed a 7 iron from 150 yards to the elevated green on the 7th. Duffed the drive on 8 for another double and three putted on the third par 5 for a bogey and 12 over total front 9 score of 49.

Chipped very well on 10 for a par and then this led me into a series of fantastic holes. Delighted to bogey 11 but really messed up the beautiful 12th with its narrow elevated green and got a treble. I cheered up though when I got to the 13th tee! What a hole! It got in my head though and I had to hit my third from the tee which I nearly lost as well. This led to another 8! Must be the prettiest card ruining hole around!

14 and 15 were welcome short par 4’s which led to a par and bogey before taking the long trek to the index 1 across the road! A beautiful chip gave me a a bogey on a very long par 4. 17 is so short it feels like an easy par but in the end I was happy with the bogey. The last hole is a lengthy par 4 which feels like the first but certainly harder! A six didn’t surprise me here then.

Athlone is a very mature(in places) parkland with great views of Lough Ree and seems like a well worn track. This probably in some way explains the pricey membership fee which is heftier than most around the midlands. I very much had mixed feelings Wednesday evening. Overall I was embarrassed to have never played this course before considering I live 25 minutes away. At the same time I think I have found the best course in the midlands...

3 pars
    8 bogeys
    5 doubles
    1 treble
    1 quadruple

30 points off 18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Broke 80 today for the first time ever. 77 gross / 63 net / 43 points, off 14. Driving was good, and even the bad ones weren't too bad. Irons were very good, which i'm delighted about as they've been poor lately. Short game also good, with my putting improving after going back to a regular putting grip (was using the claw for a while). Even with how well i played, there were a few silly shots that i messed up due to not putting enough thought into, so i can improve on that.

Still though, won't complain in any way about anything i did today. I really liked the way i played as well. It wasn't a few great holes, with amazing shots. It was just really steady golf, which is something i'd love to be able to do more.

Overall, delighted with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Kiith wrote: »
    ... and even the bad ones weren't too bad....

This is the key to better scores. A bad drive that can be put back in play or a bad iron shot that doesn't go into trouble will allow you to score fairly well. It usually only takes one good shot (approach, chip or putt) on a hole to make a par if the rest of them "aren't too bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

36pts on Headfort New off 16

3 over on the front and thought I was onto a winner.

Stood up on the 10th and had to back off as two lads out for a stroll tried to walk in front of me! Told them to wait and proceeded to stick it OOB and failed to post a score on the second shot.

Got back in a rhythm of a par and some bogies, lipped for pars. Ran out of shots on the index 17. Good drive in the rough (5yds off fairway) but really buried. Hacked out with a 9i and ran through into more rough, rinse repeat. Lipped the putt for a point.
    Stone cold shank on the 17th par3. Guys teeing off on 13 threw their beer bottles into the cart mid swing. Frazzled and left 2nd short, chip and lipped the putt

Still shows promise. Apart from 2 holes the back didn't feel like a collapse just a run of bad luck.

Vs Par comp today. Finished 6up so delighted with that. 75(+4) strokes, my second best round.

Played very well, putting was probably the weak point of the round if I had to pick one. Even though I only hit one fairway it didn’t cost me any shots.

8 pars
    3 birdies
    7 bogeys
    27 putts
    1/14 Fairways.
    7/18 GIR.

Should be getting a cut. 10.4 at the moment so probably 9.6 or 9.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You might even get to 9.4 with that! Great shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

90 gross off 15. 45 both nines.
    Terrible in places and excellent in others.
    Had to hit a second ball off the tee on all the par 5s, OOB twice and one other lost in a bush.
    I know there's a score coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Had my third outing for 9 holes. Both the first times I took 56 Strokes. This time I was down to 49!!! I’m no Tiger Woods but I definitely feel I’m progressing. Have been trying to work on tee shots and this outing They felt much better. A lot less fluffed shots. I’ve totally been bitten by the bug. My only hope is my next outing isn’t a disaster. I’ve no handicap so don’t know about the points scoring method.
    At what stage can I call myself a golfer??? Lol

PARlance wrote: »
    You might even get to 9.4 with that! Great shooting

I don’t think so, CSS usually 38/39 pts, or 2/3up. With the weather it could be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had 90 off 22 today for 68 net in a club strokes comp. 42 out 48 in. Very happy with how I was striking the ball, stayed out of trouble most of the time and the putter even worked ok! At least it wasn't a weakness today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm finally remembering how to play. If I could just keep concentrating on my swing for an entire round I'd return a good score.

Played Portmarnock links yesterday. What a fine course. It's in perfect condition, but strangely was empty. The three slots before us and seven after us were empty on the timesheet. There were some load of bunkers, I don't know how I didn't spend the day in them. But it's a great challenge. The rough isn't too penal, you can generally play out of it easily enough. Which is good, because the landing areas aren't always huge. And it's a nice length, certainly advantages to hitting a driver on most holes, but you can keep it in the bag too.

And as regards my play, I swung easy for the first 6 holes and hit it beautifully. Three pars, two bogeys and a double (went into a bunker on a par 3, came out and into another). My only three putt of the day was on a par 5 for a par. And I should really have gotten up and down on the other par 5 for a bird too.

Then from 7 to 15 I just couldn't swing easy. I'd be thinking it before my backswing, then I'd get to the top, duck my head down and snatch at the ball. Three triples, three doubles, a bogey and a par. Drives were sliced and I skied one left too. Drilled a 5w to rough 20 yards in front of me, shanked two irons, duffed another into a bunker.

Then for the last 4 holes, I got my sh1t together and finished par, par, bogey, par. Three big drives down the middle of the fairway, three solid irons onto the green, two near birds and one good two putt par. The bogey was on the par 3 17th, I leaked slightly right which was very much where you don't want to be. Still came out with a decent bogey.

Thinking back to the previous weekend it was something similar. Swung very steady for the first 11 holes and was 5 over including a triple bogey. Only really one bad swing to that point which was the root of the triple. Then after that some terrible swings on 12, 12, 15, 15, 15, 17, 18. And it's always the same, just a loss of concentration and suddenly I'm trying to kill the ball on every swing. I'm feeling optimistic at the moment. I think a good score is brewing.

And this thread is therapeutic!

Advertisement