Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Below is some footage I shot of kite surfers (with their permission & cooperation). Pretty rough as I couldn't see a thing because of the glare on the screen - hence the reason I stayed high and away from them, and the video is short. I've fashioned a sun shade for next time ðŸ‘

Not bad at all, it stays glued into position and that quality is fantastic! You have a heavy hand though, left and right you need to be slightly softer on the controls, that will get better with time. :) Thanks for sharing man, maybe I'll see you in the area soon. Most of my videos are in Mornington and Bettystown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

jogdish wrote: »
    Few weeks later, any updated thoughts on the Air 2 anyone else get one? I'm still on the fence.

i got one (thanks for the nudge stuff hunter - nothing like a little confirmation bias to get over the line)

haven't had much chance to get out and about with it though between work and weather, but as a total novice it's going to take a good bit of practice for me i think. It's really fast and responsive - will take a while to get the soft hands!

definitely glad i went with the fly more combo (bought it from Apple - delivered within 2 days) - bought the care refresh insurance too

ablelocks wrote:
    definitely glad i went with the fly more combo (bought it from Apple - delivered within 2 days) - bought the care refresh insurance too

Nice one, congrats! Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

tedpan wrote: »
    Not bad at all, it stays glued into position and that quality is fantastic! You have a heavy hand though, left and right you need to be slightly softer on the controls, that will get better with time. :) Thanks for sharing man, maybe I'll see you in the area soon. Most of my videos are in Mornington and Bettystown :)

Just a couple of other points - this was last Saturday (21/6) and it was quite windy (got a few high wind warnings, but despite that the drone flew well). Also I wasn't tracking anything in particular as I couldn't see anything on the screen so I was trying to eye ball the surfers and point the drone in a way that I thought it might capture them!

I take your point on the heavy handedness - I'm normally a bit smoother. I think it would have been much smoother if I'd been able to see and use the screen properly, but it's all a learning experience :D

See you out there!

I take your point on the heavy handedness - I'm normally a bit smoother. I think it would have been much smoother if I'd been able to see and use the screen properly, but it's all a learning experience

Yep, I'm the exact same! We wait for sun and perfect conditions, when it arrives we can't see a thing and all experience goes out the window! That Air2 is very impressive though, seems more responsive and faster than the original.
    See you out there!

Definitely, might give it a miss today haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Anyone know anything, seeing this about newer models being sold in EU:
    https://forum.dji.com/thread-218516-1-1.html

jogdish wrote:
    Anyone know anything, seeing this about newer models being sold in EU:

Hmmm, interesting, so all you need to do is confirm that you get one from the new batch! With covid it will be annoying I'm sure. Maybe try emailing DJI directly to see if they acknowledge the difference?

Hmmm, interesting, so all you need to do is confirm that you get one from the new batch! With covid it will be annoying I'm sure. Maybe try emailing DJI directly to see if they acknowledge the difference?

Says it's under a software lock too, (gps spoof reveals it)

ugh email DJI, shudder,

Any chance you are buying one and willing to be a guinea pig :)

Asked:
    "I am shopping for a Mavic Air 2 in Europe
    How can I help you today!
    Do the EU models have airsense included yet ?
    16:35
    Due to supply chain shortages related to the coronavirus pandemic, Mavic Air 2 units equipped with AirSense ADS-B will initially only be available in North America. A version of Mavic Air 2 will be available outside of North America without ADS-B
    We are working towards making ADS-B equipped Mavic Air 2 drones available globally and will update our customers and partners when timing has been confirmed.
    Do you know of a time frame?
    As of this moment we do not have infromation regarding on tha.
    "

I noticed that DroneWorks are listing ADS-B as a feature on their website, might be worth contacting them. Maybe they have US stock? Air 2 ADS-B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Is ADS-B likely to be a mandatory feature to have in the EU or just a nice feature to have?
    Considering getting the Air 2 as a first drone but dont want to see it grounded through regulations if I get it with a missing feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Is ADS-B likely to be a mandatory feature to have in the EU or just a nice feature to have?
    Considering getting the Air 2 as a first drone but dont want to see it grounded through regulations if I get it with a missing feature.

EU cant get their sh1t right so it wont be in any near future for sure, I'll say 5 years or more (if they'll go for it) so its a gimmick

EU cant get their sh1t right so it wont be in any near future for sure, I'll say 5 years or more (if they'll go for it) so its a gimmick
    Kinda agree, but the more important concern to me (anyways) is how the mavic will be classed, basically it's missing a sticker because there is no agreed upon EU class system - maybe someone can elaborate/correct me. So worst case it could not get the sticker and it can only be flown in a very restricted area or it gets the sticker and it can be flown as is current ( once again please correct me if wrong ?)

Either way im still waiting to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Kinda agree, but the more important concern to me (anyways) is how the mavic will be classed, basically it's missing a sticker because there is no agreed upon EU class system - maybe someone can elaborate/correct me. So worst case it could not get the sticker and it can only be flown in a very restricted area or it gets the sticker and it can be flown as is current ( once again please correct me if wrong ?)

Either way im still waiting to pull the trigger.

You may want to pull the trigger. The EASA rules, which *do* include a class system, (C0 - C4), was due to come into effect last month. I presume the government have had more important things to deal with, and it's been delayed.
    https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/iaa---eu-uas-regulations-outline.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Looking at getting a drone.

Originally I was looking at getting the Mavic Mini but I live in an exposed area and the wind is always blowing. So I’m now looking at the Mavic Air 2, is there any quick reference where you can compare the two drones?

Also where is best to purchase, anywhere got any deals on Air 2 currently?

hurikane wrote:
    Originally I was looking at getting the Mavic Mini but I live in an exposed area and the wind is always blowing. So I’m now looking at the Mavic Air 2, is there any quick reference where you can compare the two drones?

There are lots of differences, best watching videos on YouTube. Here's some of the benefits, hopefully some users could post their experiences?

Pros of Mavic Air 2
    Better connection, fly further etc.
    Better camera
    More stable in wind
    More sensors - safer to fly with obstacles
    Better following/tracking modes

Pros of Mavic Mini
    Tiny - more portable for traveling.
    Much lower price point
    Smaller battery, less charging time

They both have similar flight times.
    hurikane wrote:
    Also where is best to purchase, anywhere got any deals on Air 2 currently?

Probably best buying from DJI directly or locally from an authorised reseller (eg Harvey norman). Warranty is only covered in the area of purchase.

There are lots of differences, best watching videos on YouTube. Here's some of the benefits, hopefully some users could post their experiences?

Pros of Mavic Air 2
    Better connection, fly further etc.
    Better camera
    More stable in wind
    More sensors - safer to fly with obstacles
    Better following/tracking modes

Pros of Mavic Air
    Tiny - more portable for traveling.
    Much lower price point
    Smaller battery, less charging time

They both have similar flight times.

Probably best buying from DJI directly or locally from an authorised reseller (eg Harvey norman). Warranty is only covered in the area of purchase.

That’s brilliant, thanks a million.

hurikane wrote:
    That’s brilliant, thanks a million.

No probs, I realised I made a mistake. Should have written mavic mini, not air, I'll adjust now.

Give me a shout of you have any other questions!

No probs, I realised I made a mistake. Should have written mavic mini, not air, I'll adjust now.

Give me a shout of you have any other questions!

I knew what you meant. Out of interest, what’s the issue with ADS-B? Why would it be a reason to buy now or to wait until it’s on the European Air 2?

hurikane wrote:
    I knew what you meant. Out of interest, what’s the issue with ADS-B? Why would it be a reason to buy now or to wait until it’s on the European Air 2?

So, this is up for debate. Currently MA2s made for the EU don't have this piece of hardware. If you read back through this thread, some are waiting for it, others are happy enough without it. Apparently it will be available but only only future productions of the air 2.

It's a nice feature, although I've no experience with it and have never flown near other aircraft so not really a requirement on my list.

• Advertisement

So, this is up for debate. Currently MA2s made for the EU don't have this piece of hardware. If you read back through this thread, some are waiting for it, others are happy enough without it. Apparently it will be available but only only future productions of the air 2.

It's a nice feature, although I've no experience with it and have never flown near other aircraft so not really a requirement on my list.

Thanks again. And hopefully my last questions for now. Any thoughts on DJI select and DJI care?

hurikane wrote:
    Thanks again. And hopefully my last questions for now. Any thoughts on DJI select and DJI care?

Not something I have experience with, I try to be as careful as possible! I know other boardsies have used the service, maybe they can assist?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a recent Mavic Mini purchaser, another feature missing from it over the air is the follow me mode. There is a limited selection of similar features on the mini, but no true follow me mode. I got mine on Amazon for £280 as a warehouse purchase and it's going well so far.

Aside from features, another factor is how much time you reckon you might put into it. If you are out every other weekend, then the air is the way to go, but in my case once a month or less made my decision along with price for the mini.

delly wrote: »
    As a recent Mavic Mini purchaser, another feature missing from it over the air is the follow me mode. There is a limited selection of similar features on the mini, but no true follow me mode. I got mine on Amazon for £280 as a warehouse purchase and it's going well so far.

Aside from features, another factor is how much time you reckon you might put into it. If you are out every other weekend, then the air is the way to go, but in my case once a month or less made my decision along with price for the mini.

Cheers, siding with the Air 2. Just need to work out where to buy and if I need Dji select and care

hurikane wrote:
    Cheers, siding with the Air 2. Just need to work out where to buy and if I need Dji select and care

Yeah, it's on my wishlist too!

Keep in mind the DJI additional offerings must be purchased in the same country you purchase the drone and where it will be used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the Air 2, I got it over the Mini because of the better camera and the fact that it's more often than not too windy in Ireland for the mini.

I with with the DJI Care package for the first year because it cost ~€1,000 and I see it as an insurance policy for my stupidity, it'd be fair annoying to have broken the thing in a tree/off a wire and just been left with all the accessories.

I think I will be on hold buying an Air2 till December now, funny was so ready to buy one back in April.

Anyone here recently (ish ) buy an Air 2 ? Noticed this about the EU features, anyone able to check theirs ?
    https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218234&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556

TLDR:
    It basically says you should look inside the battery compartment at the model number.

If it is ending ...1N it is the original non Airsense equipped batch.
    If it is ending ...3W it is is a new version equipped with Airsense.

Anyone here recently (ish ) buy an Air 2 ? Noticed this about the EU features, anyone able to check theirs ?
    https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218234&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556

TLDR:
    It basically says you should look inside the battery compartment at the model number.

If it is ending ...1N it is the original non Airsense equipped batch.
    If it is ending ...3W it is is a new version equipped with Airsense.

Got mine a few weeks ago, has 3W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

hurikane wrote: »
    Got mine a few weeks ago, has 3W

Anything on the box to indicate this? And does it appear to be functional in the DJI Software for EU when you have the model with the correct hardware?

thanks.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement