Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Barrel' in my front door on the way out...

Options
  • 15-01-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this question.

The Barrel in my front door ( its a PVC door with a 5 point locking system, installed about 8 years-9 years ago )
    is starting to go, key needs to be in the lock pisition to take it out.

Are the Barrels that I see ( euro 45/55 ) anti bump etc etc on Amazon ok to buy, they look ok. Anyone experience in buying one from here?

Thanks a lot
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Have you tried oiling it ?

Make sure if you are replacing the existing one that the new one has the UK Kite mark, at least that will have a quality standard and of course make sure it is anti-snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Oiling will probably sort it but I would recommend upgrading it
    Check out these. One of the best locks on the market. 1 minute installation
    https://www.buyabslocks.co.uk/products/avocet-abs-locks-key-thumbturn-1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Amazon have loads of them.

The abs unit mentioned it good too. As are Garrison
    Big thing is the extra keys and the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Stoner wrote: »
    I've an IFTTT command to call the heating if the remote stat on Smartthings multisensor drips below a value to turn in the heating (SONOFF)

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Thanks a lot for that Fletch. Will probably go for one of these. I wonder would a locksmith here have such a type, probably not...?

I did try all the obvious, oiling etc, its just gradually getting worse and in fact even the spring in the handle is rusty and not in great shape.
    Gee, 8 years old. Not great quality in the original one!

Thanks again
    fletch wrote: »
    Oiling will probably sort it but I would recommend upgrading it
    Check out these. One of the best locks on the market. 1 minute installation
    https://www.buyabslocks.co.uk/products/avocet-abs-locks-key-thumbturn-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Thanks a lot for that Fletch. Will probably go for one of these. I wonder would a locksmith here have such a type, probably not...?

Thanks again
    Some do but most will sell you the cheapest crap tbh, absolutely no point paying a locksmith for a simple 2 min job (max)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was thinking about doing the same myself, upgrading my lock, but some quick questions.

I've seen some places mention that getting a second lock in the door will improve security, do folks think this is worth doing?

What type of lock would you get as a second lock?

I see on the ABS site above that you can get two locks keyed the same, sounds handy. But if you do that, will a locksmith be willing to install the second lock (I assume requires drilling the door) or do they only want to install their own locks?

And while I'm at it, the patio door and windows handle don't have a key/lock on them, they "lock" by just turning into the down position (then lock in 8 or so places around the frame), if that makes sense. Does that sound ok or should such windows/doors have a lock and is it something that can be retrofitted?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Op, I see you mentioned the Amazon 45/55 barrels, I assume you know this is the lock measurements? Just in case , did you take out your own barrel and measure? I am sure you know this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Ah, I did. Turned out it was a 40/40!!

Ordered from the link above, ABS type.

Here , my local Locksmith was quoting me 75 euro for a different type, I'm sure it was probably ok but given I got the lock in the uk for 40stg and another 3 keys ( 6 in total ) for 60stg. Worth it....
    The usual rip off Ireland...
    Cerco wrote: »
    Op, I see you mentioned the Amazon 45/55 barrels, I assume you know this is the lock measurements? Just in case , did you take out your own barrel and measure? I am sure you know this anyway.

Advertisement