Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 17-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Dying a death, 130-2

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Happy Birthday Joe Root!!!

Warner gone for 86

Root gets more turn in an over than Ali has in the series!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

14 ahead, 4 wickets down. Still some potential, but its lunchbedtime. Think I'll leave it recording rather than wait for the 12 o'clock highlights - just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Haven't been watching up to now, may tune in after lunch. I did hear Warner took some bait and gave away his wicket to Root of all people! Still, he held discipline longer than I'd have given him credit for. The marsh wicket just on lunch may be a huge one.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Decided against staying to watch, what I expect now is for Smith to increase the tempo a bit to get runs on the board. Mitch Marsh is as reliably unreliable as Shaun in the crunch so he won't be banking on having a good partnership left. New ball in 4 overs. It will be clear in the next 20 overs of England are gonna force a result.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Even the barmy army have stopped singing. The pitch is a shocker.

They’re back in full voice. Have to say they’ve brightened up a thoroughly dull day. Another Smith century, he’s something else. Captains bound to be shaking hands in a few minutes.

Match drawn. England had a great chance to win but that pitch was just sh1te, and when Steve Smith gets his eye in then good luck. At least a whitewash has been avoided.

Surprised Smith didn't hang about till he passed the 6000, maybe he didn't know.... dull as dishwater that match. Thankfully it's over. Fair play to the 14odd thousand who went to it today! 250k attendance over the 5 days got robbed of much excitement!

England 35-1. Stone man out for 24, like a one day innings.

• Advertisement

64-1 off to bed

Forgot this was even on! Been stuck into Don Bradman cricket for 5 hours I'm somewhat ashamed to say!

88/2 after 29.

Rain delayed the start apparently, Root and Cook at the crease.

Stoneman out early enough as the other poster said, Vince just joined him with another shocker of a dismissal. His long term future is surely in doubt. He keeps getting himself out when set.

Short and wide delivery from Cummins, I dunno what he was doing, tried a square cut but he top edged it and Paine took it. Cummins also took that first wicket, didn't check into how though :D

Hazlewood replaces Cummins, removes Cook third ball of the over lbw. Australia reviewed after it was given not out initially and the decision was reversed, height was fine, no bat, pitched on leg stump and would have been smashing middle.

Big wicket.

95/3

Josh has been very good all series, hoping he and Cummins pick up some wickets in this match.

One last thing on Vince, I just think he would be better coming in a bit lower if they are going to stick with him. He isn't a number 3, swap him with Malan even perhaps? Of course the obvious answer is Root to 3 Malan to 4 and Vince to 5 but Root doesn't seem to want to move.

2 wickets in 10 balls with the new ball. That’s changed everything.

England 233-5 at stumps.

Yeah gone from a good solid day for England with a good partnership and Barstow still to come to as soon as Ali or Malan is gone that is a pretty fragile looking tail with the extra spinner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Forgot this was even on! Been stuck into Don Bradman cricket for 5 hours I'm somewhat ashamed to say!

Is it any good? I havent played one since Brian Lara back around 07 or so

Is it any good? I havent played one since Brian Lara back around 07 or so

I am warming to it, some shock to system after Ashes 09and the like though.

So different, very realistic, very difficult initially, steep learning curve with the batting particularly. It is very satisfying when you start to pick up wickets or start to be able to build an innings.Yet to make my first century but getting closer!

Just about the sloppiest attempt at a catch I've seen for many years at this level!!

Two dropped catches in less than an over by Cummins and then Hazlewood after Smith took a brilliant catch to get Malan out earlier

Don't think England can be complaining about which way the luck's been going this morning

• Advertisement

A 6 from Broad. He seems to be getting his confidence back after that whack in the face.

Edit: Another 6! Broady givin it loads!

I am warming to it, some shock to system after Ashes 09and the like though.

So different, very realistic, very difficult initially, steep learning curve with the batting particularly. It is very satisfying when you start to pick up wickets or start to be able to build an innings.Yet to make my first century but getting closer!

The new Ashes game is reduced to €20 in Gamestop. Definitely gonna get it.

Aussies shooting themselves in the foot in a big way here.

Thought Ali was threatening to make a decent score, but then got out for 30. Curran has been very positive, and Broad has picked up from where he left off in Melbourne

Another 6 from Broad and 331-7 starts to open up the possibility of something approaching 400 - that's probably jinxed them though!

How much more of this is going to be endured before putting in Starc like? If he isn't there to bowl out the tail what exactly is he there for?

Curran on 39. Broad on 23. This must be driving the Aussies mad.

How much more of this is going to be endured before putting in Starc like? If he isn't there to bowl out the tail what exactly is he there for?

I think his calf is a gonner. He was in pain yesterday. Curran out, he did really well.

Curran gone now - so yes I did jinx them!

Curran gone now, Cummins. 335/8

Super innings from Curran tbf

• Advertisement

Lyon gets Broad, another good show from him all things considered.

You really have to question the tactics when it costs you 40-60 runs to bowl out the tail.

Advertisement