Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Senseo HD7863/80 £23 tesco direct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭beardo81

Got mine today via parcel motel. Nice little machine, thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

billie1b wrote: »
    Hey Kenny,

How did you sort it? Tesco dropped my ID also, I sent an e-mail and the reply I got was 'it will be shipped to the Finglas in the query pile'

Thanks
    Billie

It turns out that Tesco did print my PMID on the label, so I don't know what went wrong there. I had to chase it up via email. That's -1 for Parcel Motel.

Not impressed with the coffee either (Douwe Egbert's medium) :pac:

any recommendations for the coffee's to get for these things? or is it better to get one of those coffee duck things...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I don't use the coffee duck, but lots of people rave about them.

3 other options:
    Pods in Tesco (About €3.50 for 18)

http://www.discountcoffee.ie

Amazon Cafe Rene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

It turns out that Tesco did print my PMID on the label, so I don't know what went wrong there. I had to chase it up via email. That's -1 for Parcel Motel.

Not impressed with the coffee either (Douwe Egbert's medium) :pac:

Thanks, i've been e-mailing, no sign of it yet.
    I take Dark Roast or Extra Dark Roast.

• Advertisement

I odered two of them and the 2 together mean an over-sized box so have to pick it up or pay an extra €10.50 to get delivered (on top of the €7 for oversized). pain. Parcel motel won't open it and deliver the 2 boxes separately...

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I don't use the coffee duck, but lots of people rave about them.

3 other options:
    Pods in Tesco (About €3.50 for 18)

http://www.discountcoffee.ie

Amazon Cafe Rene

thanks. I meant more what you would recommend on a taste basis.

glasso wrote: »
    thanks. I meant more what you would recommend on a taste basis.

The Blue Mountain Blend is my favorite at the moment.

Senseo Coffee Pod Sample Pack (54 Pods) is not a bad option to find out which you prefer.

Free delivery when you spend over €50

picked this up. had bought medium roast (not Egberts ones) in Tesco just to test. Very underwhelmed with what came out of the machine - tell me that a good coffee makes all the difference....?

picked this up. had bought medium roast (not Egberts ones) in Tesco just to test. Very underwhelmed with what came out of the machine - tell me that a good coffee makes all the difference....?

Not this one? http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257900584

• Advertisement

that's the one. so it is actually douwe egberts... not impressed with the result! hopefully it's down to the crap coffee and not the machine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I haven't tried the medium but I find their dark roast to be not particularly strong (but still quite tasty), so I'd imagine the medium is quite mild.

yes - too mild. wouldn't bother with it again. I'm thnking that I might get one of those coffee duck items...

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    The Blue Mountain Blend is my favorite at the moment.

Senseo Coffee Pod Sample Pack (54 Pods) is not a bad option to find out which you prefer.

Free delivery when you spend over €50

Can you pls what sort of strength is that blue mountain on a 1 to 5 scale - 5 being strong and dark and 1 being pishy! on the discountcoffee.ie website it says medium - just thought that I'd ask you...

yes - too mild. wouldn't bother with it again. I'm thnking that I might get one of those coffee duck items...

Did you use 1 or 2 pads? For a full size cup of coffee its 2 pads and the 2 mug button, for a espresso type its 1 or 2 pads and the 1 mug button. Personally I drink the dark and extra dark of the Egberts ones

Can you pls what sort of strength is that blue mountain on a 1 to 5 scale - 5 being strong and dark and 1 being pishy! on the discountcoffee.ie website it says medium - just thought that I'd ask you...

Sorry, I'd by lying to you if I answered that. I never really think about the strength of the coffee that I drink.

As someone else suggested to you, maybe try 2 pods per mug. I usually only use one pod per mug. I have a different Senseo machine to the one discussed in this thread, I used to put one shot of water in to the mug first to scald my mug before adding the coffee.

billie1b wrote: »
    Did you use 1 or 2 pads? For a full size cup of coffee its 2 pads and the 2 mug button, for a espresso type its 1 or 2 pads and the 1 mug button. Personally I drink the dark and extra dark of the Egberts ones

I used 1 pad and I hit the 1 cup button...
    I think that the dark coffee roast or extra dark is what I need!

I used 1 pad and I hit the 1 cup button...
    I think that the dark coffee roast or extra dark is what I need!

Yeah the normal and medium do nothing for me, I love the dark and extra dark, sometimes i'd have a medium in the evening after supper, about the only time id use the medium, the only reason I buy a packet of medium actually

I think coffeeduck is probably the best option. Does anybody have one, and can recommend them?

anybody tried these "extreme caffeine" pods?

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/extreme-caffeine-senseo-62mm-coffee-pods-50-pack

(it's actually a 100 pack so 13c each) - when you go into description it's 100).

Just ordered 100 of these and 100 of blue mountain. - with delivery works out at just over 14c a cup. They are individually wrapped for freshness which sounds good.

• Advertisement

I think coffeeduck is probably the best option. Does anybody have one, and can recommend them?

I've been looking into this. Make sure to order the right one (the one for the quadrante and the latte are the same. The cheapest option with delivery for the right one for the quadrante model in this offer turns out to be the coffee duck shop.

http://shop.coffeeduck.com/en/coffeeduck-senseo-quadrante-viva-cafe.html

with delivery it's €18.45

that would take a while to pay for itself so I'll try the pods first from the online shops which also offer the convenience factor of course (less hassle than the coffee duck).

Also, apparently the coffee that you use with the coffee duck needs to be pretty finely ground to work well from what I've read. Even mentions it on a wikipedia page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senseo

If you consider that the coffee pads contain 7g of coffee then out of a 250g bag of relatively decent coffee you'd probably get maybe 30 cups on the coffee duck (allowing for spillage). A decent 250g ground coffee is say 4 euro - (or up to 8 euro or more for Illy!) and that works out at 13.3 c a cup.
    The online senseo shops give you good value around this price (and you don't have the extra hassle) if you look around so find a coffee that you like and go for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

with delivery it's €18.45

€11.40 on ebay from germany:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/COFFEEDUCK-fur-SENSEO-DAUERFILTER-PADHALTER-KAFFEEPADS-/290575710345?pt=Kaffee_Tee&var=&hash=item43a7a97889
    That would take a while to pay for itself so I'll try the pods first from the online shops which also offer the convenience factor of course (less hassle than the coffee duck).

I can understand it being a hassle say in a work situation where loads of people would be using the machine but the sink is closer to me than the bin so don't consider it being more hassle to rinse it under the tap.
    Also, apparently the coffee that you use with the coffee duck needs to be pretty finely ground to work well from what I've read. Even mentions it on a wikipedia page!

If it says suitable for espresso its ok.
    If you consider that the coffee pads contain 7g

I find 7g just isn't enough thats the advantage of the coffeeduck you can add up to 14g or user a 'mug' pod which is about 11g. Nespresso is a piddly 5g.

moodrater wrote: »
    €11.40 on ebay from germany:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/COFFEEDUCK-fur-SENSEO-DAUERFILTER-PADHALTER-KAFFEEPADS-/290575710345?pt=Kaffee_Tee&var=&hash=item43a7a97889

I can understand it being a hassle say in a work situation where loads of people would be using the machine but the sink is closer to me than the bin so don't consider it being more hassle to rinse it under the tap.

If it says suitable for espresso its ok.

I find 7g just isn't enough thats the advantage of the coffeeduck you can add up to 14g or user a 'mug' pod which is about 11g. Nespresso is a piddly 5g.

good spot on the price - didn't think of ebay germany. might pick one up...
    what do you mean by a mug pod? does that come with the coffeeduck?

Just ordered one. Good spot. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

what do you mean by a mug pod? does that come with the coffeeduck?

Unfortunately ebay at some point decided to return a small fraction of the items actually available to you when you search and removed the "in any country / region" option so if you search ebay.de for items available to ireland you'll find thousands of items that won't show up on ebay.com, .co.uk, .fr. it etc. Ebay.de can be cheap for postage as deutsch post bought dhl about 10 years ago. Italy can be cheap for courier too, great for car parts.

Mug size pods hold nearly twice the coffee and fit in the double pod holder:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Weekend-Coffee/dp/B009S4SYQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804767&sr=1-1&keywords=easy+weekend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Coffee-Total/dp/B009S4SYZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804828&sr=1-1&keywords=douwe+egberts+100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Morning-Americano/dp/B009S4SYPW/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804828&sr=1-5&keywords=douwe+egberts+100

moodrater wrote: »
    Unfortunately ebay at some point decided to return a small fraction of the items actually available to you when you search and removed the "in any country / region" option so if you search ebay.de for items available to ireland you'll find thousands of items that won't show up on ebay.com, .co.uk, .fr. it etc. Ebay.de can be cheap for postage as deutsch post bought dhl about 10 years ago. Italy can be cheap for courier too, great for car parts.

Mug size pods hold nearly twice the coffee and fit in the double pod holder:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Weekend-Coffee/dp/B009S4SYQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804767&sr=1-1&keywords=easy+weekend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Coffee-Total/dp/B009S4SYZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804828&sr=1-1&keywords=douwe+egberts+100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Douwe-Egberts-Senseo-Morning-Americano/dp/B009S4SYPW/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1391804828&sr=1-5&keywords=douwe+egberts+100

yes I had searched ebay and amazon.co.uk and the price for the quadrente one was pretty high - normal and new generation ones were cheap but not the ones for this model. found some dutch site but the postage was 10 euro. the germans like their bargains and are a big country so no surprise that good deals are to be had there! ordered one myself too. have read some reports of coffee getting into the internals with using the cofffeeduck - ever happened to you and how to you avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Hi,

Did anyone have issues getting there machine? Mine was marked as delivered by tesco. I rang parcel motel and they had no record of it.

I contacted tesco and some error on their system meant it wasn't shipped at all. Apparently all out of stock now and not coming back in. Over sold if you ask me.

They have offered me £35 for a different machine. Trouble is the cheapest pod machine is nescafe delonghi for £45. Asked for this one but told I would have to pay the extra Tenner. Should I do that or hold out for them to cover the extra? It is there mistake after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This offer seems to be finished now, the machine is no longer available on tesco direct:-(

I wonder would they still be available in stores in the north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This offer seems to be finished now, the machine is no longer available on tesco direct:-(

I wonder would they still be available in stores in the north?
    That's why they can't send me a replacement. I asked to talk to a manager and they have now offered me £50 for a new one. Getting the delonghi nescafe one. Reviews are all good.

Seems they are not stocking the senseo anymore. Although the "error" they had on their system has now changed to delivered to the wrong address. Some dude "Hawthorne" has got himself a free coffee machine.

Advertisement