Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building permit - covering side corridor

• 09-04-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I want to put a roof in the corridor on the side of my building.
    Anyone know if I would need planning/building permission for that?
    Or if I can just put it up? (once these restriction lift so I can actually go to a store)

Tried to google and look at gov pages but can't really find anything about it.

Basically I live in a semidetached house. I have a corridor on the side of my building between my front garden and my back garden (pretty standard setup).
    There's a 2.2 meter high concrete wall to my neighbours already.

So what I want to do is put up a roof between this wall and my house.
    (just bolt in some boards and some corrugated PVC roofing)

So I can keep my bikes, bins, rakes, etc under a roof...

//Crae

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

It would more than likely be exempt from needing planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

crae wrote: »
    Hi,

//Crae
    Where do you plan to direct the water run off? Into your neighbours's yard?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

wench wrote: »

They can run it to the front or the back.
    That's what I done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

crae wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to put a roof in the corridor on the side of my building.
    Anyone know if I would need planning/building permission for that?
    Or if I can just put it up? (once these restriction lift so I can actually go to a store)

Tried to google and look at gov pages but can't really find anything about it.

Basically I live in a semidetached house. I have a corridor on the side of my building between my front garden and my back garden (pretty standard setup).

//Crae

I done exactly this OP.
    I put a Fibreglass flat roof onto it. Laid to falls to the rear and connected the rain water gutter to an existing rain water down pipe.

I added some bricks to the front to match the main house and added blocks to the side to increase the height so there's a parapet and the neighbour can do the same in the future if they want.

I also put a garage single door to the front.

I house the bikes, bins and my permanent plumbed in Power washer set up for the cars in there along with all my car washing goods.

its considered exempt once you can keep the height to 3m flat roof or 4m pitched roof, area is less than 25 Square Meters, along with any other sheds so make sure you add them all up. The finishes have to match the main house though.

PM me if you want to see some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 crae

wench wrote: »

No, my plan was to leave a gap of a few cm between pvc roof and wall to neighbor.
    I have an idea how to mount it.
    Then have a gutter running along the wall just under PVC roof to gutter that’s just by entrance to corridor in my front yard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement