Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I stocked up with some food from the Chinese store on Henry street. Hopefully people are terrified to go there.

Car park at Aldi Dublin road full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Dopes. Do people really not have enough in their fridge/press to get by for a few days? If not, that is a sad state of affairs and an indictment of people's (in)ability to manage their affairs. The shops will be re-stocked in a few days so surely the sensible thing is to wait until the panic is over and resume with a regular shop
    You can't really blame people for behaviour like this. I mean, how far away are we from a complete Italian style lockdown? As usual, our political masters deal with every crisis in a reactive rather than proactive fashion. Closing schools and colleges is a half assed measure. The only way to beat this thing is, in a sense, to shut the entire business and commercial life of the country down for six weeks. Of course, food retailers would have to be excluded from this. Domestically, people would require permission from the authorities to even step outside their front doors and this permission would only be granted for exceptional reasons such as grocery shopping. Normal social interaction would cease. Measures would also need to be put in place to restrict numbers visiting supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Dunnes Jetland was quite enough about 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you see pictures of Tesco in Dun Laoghaire there was 10 deep trying to get into the store alone. They had to stop people even getting in.

Let all the panic buyers go today and tomorrow and then at the weekend it will be normal ish again. Remember Tesco mostly get at least 1 delivery per day because of their systems. Dunnes on the other hand is a mixed bag.

Will go Saturday morning as usual and just suffer if it's busy. Hardly will be, my argument is those easily led by panic aren't up early on Saturday or Sunday mornings as I normally shop around 8:30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Berty wrote: »
    If you see pictures of Tesco in Dun Laoghaire there was 10 deep trying to get into the store alone. They had to stop people even getting in.

Let all the panic buyers go today and tomorrow and then at the weekend it will be normal ish again. Remember Tesco mostly get at least 1 delivery per day because of their systems. Dunnes on the other hand is a mixed bag.

Will go Saturday morning as usual and just suffer if it's busy. Hardly will be, my argument is those easily led by panic aren't up early on Saturday or Sunday mornings as I normally shop around 8:30am.

That's my thinking too, hoping that those panic buying won't be out in Lidl first thing Saturday morning. Thought I was being smart by going to musgraves to pick up some bits and pieces, didn't fancy having to go through all that hassle in Aldi for the weekly shopping but Musgraves was just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Sat morning will be the worst. All farmers and people from county will come in great numbers. Lidl on childers road was full 15 minutes after they opened. I do my shopping at that time every thursday for the last 10 years and never saw so many people in there. And they were out of my favorite toilett paper too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

chicorytip wrote: »
    You can't really blame people for behaviour like this. I mean, how far away are we from a complete Italian style lockdown? As usual, our political masters deal with every crisis in a reactive rather than proactive fashion. Closing schools and colleges is a half assed measure. The only way to beat this thing is, in a sense, to shut the entire business and commercial life of the country down for six weeks. Of course, food retailers would have to be excluded from this. Domestically, people would require permission from the authorities to even step outside their front doors and this permission would only be granted for exceptional reasons such as grocery shopping. Normal social interaction would cease. Measures would also need to be put in place to restrict numbers visiting supermarkets.

Obviously not self-employed and working to simply keep going week-by-week then ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I just ordered online from Tesco for a sat morning delivery feck that like!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Ordered for tesco delivery last week, delivery slot this evening, never arrived. Account shows delivered, not a chance of reaching customer service. No clue what to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Jetland was fine this evening around 6:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

On Twitter, people are using the hashtag #selfisolationhelp (+ local area) to offer/request help for those who are self-isolating, so in Limerick it's #selfisolationhelpLimerick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was in Tesco Roxboro around 8pm and it was fine, quiet enough.

Just thinking it can be quite busy because of social welfare payments on a Thursday, but adding all the panic-buying on top of it, made it look busier than what it is normally

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Dunnes Jetland was mayhem at midday yesterday.

Dunnes in the city centre was quiet enough this morning and are restocked on almost everything (except Calpol which I was trying to pick up for a friend with young kids). They just have a limit on how much toilet paper you can buy...

Thursday and Fridays are always busy days for shopping but yesterday was of course something altogether special. I passed Supermarkets this morning around 8-8:30am and they were all quiet, nearly dead(as the roads were). Maybe they're dead because people panic bought yesterday.

I've now brought my screens home from work so working from home, best try now to NOT eat myself out of house and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Tesco in Arthurs Quay was fairly busy about 10.30 today but fully stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just back from Dunnes Jetland. Everything seemed pretty normal. No evidence of panic buying.

I heard Aldi Dublin road was packed this morning. All bog roll was sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Apparently the gardai were in the Mungret park this morning asking people to leave and to take the kids home. I feel they were doing the right thing.

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Apparently the gardai were in the Mungret park this morning asking people to leave and to take the kids home. I feel they were doing the right thing.

Leave the park open, just close the playground!

There's been a case confirmed of someone working in the Crescent SC.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

I heard this too along with the shops name. I'm not sure of the source so I'm waiting so I won't be mentioning the shop name as for me it's still a rumour.

I know someone working in the crescent, all the shop managers are going mad. Going to impact sales I'd imagine, as it is an inside shopping destination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Leave the park open, just close the playground!

Someone actually working ?!
    Sorry couldnt resist....
    /gets coat...sanitises it...leaves...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I know someone working in the crescent, all the shop managers are going mad. Going to impact sales I'd imagine, as it is an inside shopping destination

Tough sh1t really. People in every walk of life and probably in every place of employment are going to get this. And a packed Crescent isn't exactly a good example of social distancing either.

phill106 wrote: »
    Someone actually working ?!
    Sorry couldnt resist....
    /gets coat...sanitises it...leaves...

Stealing a living out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So will they just close the shop or the whole centre

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

That shop has just been closed. The majority of the crescent is still open from what I've been told by someone working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I read a couple of comments about the results of that person's test being negative but who even knows at this point.

And why can't the shop in question be named?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 TaitsClock

Rang a friend who works in the crescent after hearing this, there were no shops closed so im fairly confident there was no case confirmed there.
    I imagine they would have to immediately shut the whole center if that was the case. at this rate its only a matter of time though unfortunately.
    Either way, some people are going to make up stories or exaggerate/embellish stories they've heard because some people are 'panic-junkies'. We all know the type... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement