Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is only closed due to a leak apparently.
    It is always busy enough.

I love Maynooth and its coffee shops:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taking down *all* your signs inside and out is a bit serious for a "leak", I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I got lunch there nearly everyday when I worked in Maynooth and that place was seriously busy in the lunchtime period. Less quiet at 4-5 of course but never empty. Often difficult to get a table at peak time. I'd have difficulty believing it's from lack of customers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Same, I would go in about once a week and it always has people in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Anyone know what is going in where Lotus was in the middle of the town at the lights? I hope it's not another bar

As for that independent article link posted by MoonBeam......

"So it is probably one the few towns in Ireland where there is ample scope for a new pub"

This is a ridiculous statement. As MYOB said, a number of bars etc are in receivership in the town, so there is absolutely no need for another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

This is a ridiculous statement. As MYOB said, a number of bars etc are in receivership in the town,
    Aside from the Glenroyal, which other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Caulfields and Mantra. Mantra's problem is that it's too expensive. It's ridiculous that a nightclub with a university on it's doorstep isn't doing well.

Caulfields and Mantra. Mantra's problem is that it's too expensive. It's ridiculous that a nightclub with a university on it's doorstep isn't doing well.
    But isn't Mantra heaving, and one of the most popular niteclubs in that part of the country?

Is Caulfields still trading?

n97 mini wrote: »
    But isn't Mantra heaving, and one of the most popular niteclubs in that part of the country?

Is Caulfields still trading?

From the last couple of times I was in Mantra, and from talking to others, it is practically empty up until about 12:30 am. So they are getting very little business before this time. People are either drinking later at home or in the Roost etc before hand.

I heard Mantra was empty on New Years as well. I was in the Roost myself, and it was ridiculously busy. I think Mantra may have been charging ridiculous money in that night so people chose the Roost since it's free in

From what I know, Caulfields is still trading

MYOB wrote: »
    Riverside Bistro closed in the last two weeks - seems the demand for food outlets in the town has been met already. That unit has never done well, the previous tenant (Kens) also closed; and the units closer never opened as their intended use.

Although there appears to be another cafe going in where the Esquires was (right beside the inner entrance for Riverside) in Manor Mills.

I was only in the Riverside Bistro for the first time a couple of months back. Very impressive lunch in it. It's a shame it's closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Caulfield's is still trading.

I heard there's an Indian going in where Lotus was. Mohana is gone from above Caulfields (no loss tbh).

Orion wrote: »
    Caulfield's is still trading.

I heard there's an Indian going in where Lotus was. Mohana is gone from above Caulfields (no loss tbh).

Didn't know Mohana was gone (not a fan of Indian food anyway)

Times are a changing in Maynooth with the opening and closing of all these businesses! :P

At least stuff is still opening:)

I was in the Roost myself,
    Has the Roost a niteclub or a late licence or something? I'm not familiar with night life in Maynooth...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

n97 mini wrote: »
    Has the Roost a niteclub or a late licence or something? I'm not familiar with night life in Maynooth...

It has one again now, after a prolonged period of not having one on weekends.

The last time I ate in Mohana there was food encrusted on the curtains along the inside window, no loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Riverside is defiantly closed I'm gutted cause I loved that place, but I have a small feeling that the new café style thing going at the back of Manor Mills where Esquires used to be is the "New Riverside", but this is just a hunch tbh. Also on the topic of new Shops in Maynooth, there is a new Florist in Manor Mills where that Herbs and Acupuncture shop used to be towards the back. No name on it yet but its open, also the Eurosaver shop on the Leixlip road between the main street and Tesco has changed into a Florist aswell, I think its called Carrig Flowers or something :)

One of them is a florist that has moved premises.
    The flowershop in Greenfield sc has closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Can't believe the Riverside bistro is closed :eek: As a few posters have said already, any time I was in there it was packed!

I imagine a lot of restaurants and places down the town are suffering this year due to the new canteen opening on campus...

Has the florists beside Three Pin Electrical closed? Sign was painted out last night; but it could just be being repainted.

It could also have moved to be one of the two "new" ones of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

She's moved into Manor Mills.
    The bike shop is gone too.

Was in Mantra yesterday around lunchtime. Practically empty - more staff and live band than customers. On the other hand the Roost was packed.

• Advertisement

Its a Bagel Factory going in to the former Esquires space in Manor Mills. Doubt it'll turn in to an Abra like the last one.

She's moved into Manor Mills.
    The bike shop is gone too.
    The owner of the bike shop took very ill and his son has no interest in running it. Bikes in for repair were left in the garden of the house next to it

I was in Manor Mills today.
    There is a planning notice up on the window ,there are a few requests on it all from Kildare Vec to use it for education use.

They're using some of the units upstairs as classrooms. Be great when the new school is built

Think the application is actually for the units upstairs *and* the units closer to Mill Street downstairs; it was for the space originally planned for a bar, creche and gym I think.

I saw bar and creche mentioned.
    AH I was thinking Adult education.
    It is the secondary school having over flow issues?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    AH I was thinking Adult education.
    It is the secondary school having over flow issues?

There's never been any realistic VEC adult education in Maynooth, they did support a daytime one years back and there's been the odd computer class done in the school but that's it.

I believe they're already seriously out of classroom space hence the need for the new building. Seem to remember they didn't build as many as they really needed last time for fear of completely covering all open space on the current site.

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe they're already seriously out of classroom space hence the need for the new building. Seem to remember they didn't build as many as they really needed last time for fear of completely covering all open space on the current site.

That's not true afaik. They were restricted by the council from building up. And /there's shag all ground space left to build on. NUIM wouldn't give them more land (they own the current site) as they needed it for residences and their own expansions.
    So now PPS have to use office space as classrooms because of the short-sightedness of successive governments.

There's a fair bit of ground space to the northwestern end of the site still, I think, as well as the basketball courts. Building on them would leave it with nothing in terms of empty space at all though and cause other problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Can't believe Riverside is closed :eek: I'm aware it was awhile ago, but still :eek: Myself and the OH went there for breakfast (nomnom pancakes) but it got very poor and we stopped going.

Also the dry cleaners that used to be downstairs in MM is now in Tesco, which is weird because there's two dry cleaners down that way now.

Advertisement