Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭adaminho

What's the closest pizza place to either of the cinemas ?

Papa Johns across from the regional or del arte for omniplex, dominoes for storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

What's the closest pizza place to either of the cinemas ?

Storm is not to far from La Cucina which is in the little shopping area by the lights where Milford Road joins the Dublin Road.

Best Pizza by far.

PS I am NOt connected to La Cucina, just absolutely hate american fastfood Pizza joints like Dominoes & del arte are not much better as a french version.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Was at the opening of Mejana the lebonese place on Thomas street tonight, food was very nice, very different but nice all the same. They had tasters of different dishes, some were great some not so!! Will give it a go on a normal night. The mentor from the apprentice was there aswell, not as tall as he looks on tv!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

There is a new restaurant on O'Connell Street called Marco Polo (where Luigi Malones used to be). They have a very small menu and the food wasn't great for the price we paid. I had garlic bread which had no real taste of garlic and was very oily. I had spicy penne pasta for main course which was ok. I wouldn't be rushing back nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Tried Marco Polo today for lunch.
    Very small menu to choose from. I had the Lasagne (€8.50). There was a slice of garlic bread with it - which didn't taste much of garlic and was oily just like irish_girl found. My friend had some Chicken Scallop dish with a primavera sauce (€9). The portion sizes were huge. I left half the lasagne, and the chicken dish consisted of 2 large breaded chicken fillets. This was accompanied by green beans and fries.
    There seemed to be some large circular booths which would be good for large groups. The light fixtures were very nice!
    We asked to see the A La Carte menu - there was more of a choice, but not a massive one. From the drinks menu, bottle of beer seemed to be €4.95, Cocktail €7 and glass of wine €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Marco Polo is owned by the same people who own The Jasmine Palace, Ze-We-Ton, Chocolat, Wokking and Coco out in Ennis. Marco Polo and Wokking actually share the same kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Id love to know why Wokking share their kitchen with Marco Polo! Surely it's confusing...and a waste of the Kitchen that the Wokking did use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Id love to know why Wokking share their kitchen with Marco Polo! Surely it's confusing...and a waste of the Kitchen that the Wokking did use?

They are probably sharing staff as well as equipment, thus saving money.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Authentic Chinese Italian...:D

Wokking also closes now at midnight which is a balls after a night on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

bazz26 wrote: »
    Authentic Chinese Italian...:D

Wokking also closes now at midnight which is a balls after a night on the lash.

Just like the authentic Thai Italian in Bamboo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

source wrote: »
    Just like the authentic Thai Italian in Bamboo!

Used to be a regular in Bambu but found the quality and choice really declined once they moved to being Thai/Italian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Meant to say, I popped in to the Black Fig Bistro on Monday evening with the family.

Absolutely loved it. Massive starters, great mains, incredible desserts.

I had: Starter: warm chicken & bacon salad with honey mustard dressing
    Main: steak (well done) with crispy onion rings, mashed potato and pepper sauce
    Dessert: Chocolate brownie and ice-cream.

I also got to see their prawns and crab-claws starters, the duck, chicken tikka and lamb shank dinners and the lemon Charlotte dessert. Unreal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Used to be a regular in Bambu but found the quality and choice really declined once they moved to being Thai/Italian

They really lost it in there. They used to have the best Thai food in Limerick (IMHO) for very reasonable prices. But about two years back the quality of the food slowly but steadily declined. We eventually stopped going there. We said a few months back that we would try it out again but sadly there was no improvment. I used to love the place and went in or got a take away from there most weeks.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Wokking no longer do deliveries ....... I'm still in shock ......:(.

Used that service regularly after a few early scoops in the local ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Woking only used to open late Fri and Sat nights maybe bank holidays is that gone too??

Very strange stopping deliveries they were doing it years??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

h3000 wrote: »
    They really lost it in there. They used to have the best Thai food in Limerick (IMHO) for very reasonable prices. But about two years back the quality of the food slowly but steadily declined. We eventually stopped going there. We said a few months back that we would try it out again but sadly there was no improvment. I used to love the place and went in or got a take away from there most weeks.

I thought it was only me was there last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I bought a meal deal online for The Unicorn in Dooradoyle recently.
    Have to admit,I didnt know where it was. Hubby knew it as a..lets say..not a good place years ago.

Anyway!! I actually felt like I was on Holidays. The waitress greeted us with a smile and took time with us for a chat.
    The food was lovely and plentiful too.
    We were so relaxed we didnt realise we were only 20mins from home ;)
    When we were leaving the lovely waitress handed us another voucher for the same deal :D
    Another thing we twigged was..hey..this is so close with great deals and we complain about having no choice at home.

THUMBS UP FOR THE UNICORN :)

EDIT. Our Deal meals started at 5.95 I think. Well worth it.

Is there any Indian restaurant open at lunch time? I know spice of India is but any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Meant to say, I popped in to the Black Fig Bistro on Monday evening with the family.

Absolutely loved it. Massive starters, great mains, incredible desserts.

I had: Starter: warm chicken & bacon salad with honey mustard dressing
    Main: steak (well done) with crispy onion rings, mashed potato and pepper sauce
    Dessert: Chocolate brownie and ice-cream.

I also got to see their prawns and crab-claws starters, the duck, chicken tikka and lamb shank dinners and the lemon Charlotte dessert. Unreal stuff.

How much was the meal out of interest IO?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

ABEasy wrote: »
    Was at the opening of Mejana the lebonese place on Thomas street tonight, food was very nice, very different but nice all the same. They had tasters of different dishes, some were great some not so!! Will give it a go on a normal night. The mentor from the apprentice was there aswell, not as tall as he looks on tv!!!

Any further reports on this place?

Looking for somewhere to book for a pre-Imelda May meal on Friday evening - haven't heard anything about it one way or the other:confused:

Cartman78 wrote: »

Looking for somewhere to book for a pre-Imelda May meal on Friday evening - haven't heard anything about it one way or the other:confused:

I was there for lunch one day and it was disappointing.
    I posted about it on the previous page.

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    ABEasy wrote: »

I have been there a few times since it opened, really enjoyed the food. It's really difficult to compare it with anything else I've eaten in Limerick. Agree with itsthecraic, lunch there is poor but evening menu is much nicer. If you are looking for something different it's worth a try (have booked Xmas party there this week aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

serious deal to be had today on livingsocial
    https://share.livingsocial.com/deals/221920?ref=conf-jp&rpi=42571684

€22 for 2 14oz steaks and a bottle of wine at o connells in annacotty, I've raved to you lot before about how good these steaks are, definitely worth a purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 chipchop

Went to AZUR the other week which is now on Georges Quay, and must say the new place is really nice, the atmosphere was great and the food did not disappoint either! I went for the Scallops to start and the house special on the menu for my main which was Venison and both were delicious, I would definitely go back!

chipchop wrote: »
    Went to AZUR the other week which is now on Georges Quay, and must say the new place is really nice, the atmosphere was great and the food did not disappoint either! I went for the Scallops to start and the house special on the menu for my main which was Venison and both were delicious, I would definitely go back!

+1

Had the exact same over Xmas hols, nearly licked the plate after the venison:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Has anybody noticed the appalling staff training/service in Supermac's diner Thomas Street? They don't seem to know what they are doing in there, mass confusion when you order a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

RonMexico wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed the appalling staff training/service in Supermac's diner Thomas Street? They don't seem to know what they are doing in there, mass confusion when you order a sandwich.

Haven't ordered a sandwich in there yet, but they seem to be fine at making and serving the burgers and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

Saw nothing about the Curragower on this post. What do people think of it? ive only heard a good review of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

h3000 wrote: »

Word for word, that is the experience my wife and I have to Bambu...

It got to a point where the manager knew what I ordered and we'd say hi to each other in town, but he seems to have moved down to the Steakout. The introduction of Italian to the menu was a bad move as far as the Thai stuff was concerned. They took Jasmine Rice off the menu when it happened... poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

Oh wow went la choclat last saturday night.It was just beautiful really nice staff very good value for money great menu what more can one ask for?

Has anybody eaten in the new italian Marco polo?The place looks lovely inside havent heard any reviews on the place yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Oh wow went la choclat last saturday night.It was just beautiful really nice staff very good value for money great menu what more can one ask for?

Has anybody eaten in the new italian Marco polo?The place looks lovely inside havent heard any reviews on the place yet.

Been to Marco Polo twice now - very good each time.

Advertisement