Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

The absolute increase per year in world population peaked in 1988 at about 92 million per year, then fell throughout the 1990s to about 78 million per year in 1999, before gradually rising to about 85 million at the start of this decade, from where it is projected to keep falling over the course of this century, reaching a modest 10 million per year by 2100! Provided this is achieved mostly through a lowered birth rate, what an amazing outcome that would be: an entire species managing to turn back from overexploiting its resource base and destroying itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/population-growth-the-annual-change-of-the-population?time=1950..2099

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    They were also of course painted to look as lifelike as possible.
    Something that has just feckin occurred to me after a lifetime of seeing marble statues and the like; in the Roman and similar age(and older) stuff, the eyes are blank, because they were expecting them to be painted in to reproduce a lifelike appearance, but later on during and after the Renaissance when unpainted marble became the thing - mostly based on finding ancient classical examples where the original paint had long worn off - and unless they were faithfully copying the classical style, the eyes were carved in to represent the irises and pupils, because the blank look is kinda children of the corn creepy.

162066.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

539404.jpg

In 2002, the average 14 year old boy in Ireland was taller than his counterpart of 1948 by 23.1 cm (9.1 inches!!). The figure for girls was 15.6 cm (6.15 inch). I suspect these enormous differences have increased in the seventeen years since then, as this is the difference between children born in 1988 and those born in 2005, and the improvement in nutrition, health and comfort over that interval.

https://cora.ucc.ie/bitstream/handle/10468/115/jech.2008.079236v1.pdf?sequence=4&isAllowed=y

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And in the 70s and 80s, because of growth hormones given to cattle, in some parts of Europe children started entering puberty way too soon, and had massive growth spurts, causing them to be much taller than the previous generation. This phenomenon subsided substantially after the EU banned the use of growth hormones.

But now it looks like we might be in trouble again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_hormone_controversy
    https://www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/amtthews/FoodPolicy/LectureTopics/FoodSafety/Frameset38.htm

• Advertisement

539758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Use Bluetooth on your phone?

I bet you didn't know Bluetooth was named after a 10th century king Harald Bluetooth who connected the kingdoms of Denmark and Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I bet you didn't know Bluetooth was named after a 10th century king Harald Bluetooth who connected the kingdoms of Denmark and Norway.

Bet you're wrong.

I'm pretty sure that's already been mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

seagull wrote: »
    Bet you're wrong.

I'm pretty sure that's already been mentioned in this thread.
    It seems correct:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The idea of this name was proposed in 1997 by Jim Kardach of Intel who developed a system that would allow mobile phones to communicate with computers.[8] At the time of this proposal he was reading Frans G. Bengtsson's historical novel The Long Ships about Vikings and King Harald Bluetooth.[9][10]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I wonder did he have to re-try 3 or 4 times to find Norway but kept just getting Sweden as an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fourier wrote: »
    It seems correct:
    I think seagull meant that it had been mentioned previously in this thread, but it hadn't been. Nor in the first incarnation of the thread. It was definitely mentioned on QI before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Fourier wrote: »
    It seems correct:

I was meaning "Bet you're wrong that I didn't know". That fact has been doing the rounds for a while, and cropped up a few times in the recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

My fav part of the Bluetooth story is that the runes for H and B were merged into a bind-rune, and thus we have the modern symbol for buetooth .... The H is hard to see (its a sort of X), but the B is right there. If Harold was around today, he would clearly see his initials everywhere he goes ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

^^^^

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTflmABKt2t5Dpepfc2zx2ey5i5Ro-I-CnBsje8c1sbjvNIQtQTpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Microbes can be classified according to their environmental preferences. Heat loving bacteria living in volcanoes or hot springs are classified as thermophiles. In polar regions such as the arctic you'll get psychrophiles, extreme cold loving species.

On a whole other level of toughness you'll get a microbe nicknamed Conan the Bacterium. Deinococcus radiodurans as the more boring of us like to call it is in the Guinness book of records as being the worlds toughest bacterium. It got this label for being exceptionally resistant to radiation.

Put it this way, humans can die after exposure to 5 grays (unit of ionising radiation) of radiation. Conan the bacterium can survive 5000 grays with no evident loss of vitality. Interestingly it can survive this because it has some of the most complex and efficient DNA repair mechanisms known to man. Currently research is under way to see if we can understand exactly how it does this and if the mechanisms can be applied to human medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Green Turtles are not named for the colour of their shells but because of their green fat. They were a great delicacy at one time.

Green Turtles are not named for the colour of their shells but because of their green fat. They were a great delicacy at one time.

Is turtle soup not still a delicacy in and around the Pacific Islands?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Puma, cougar, and mountain lion are names for the exact same animal. The scientific name is puma, but they are more commonly referred to as cougars.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Is turtle soup not still a delicacy in and around the Pacific Islands?

Not any more. China has turtle soup but it uses Chinese softshell turtles. The USA uses snapping turtles.

Green turtle numbers plummeted due to over hunting.

mzungu wrote: »
    Puma, cougar, and mountain lion are names for the exact same animal. The scientific name is puma, but they are more commonly referred to as cougars.

I hate to say this but I've talked to hunters in America who say that cougar tastes delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

In German they were once called Suppenschildkröte, meaning Soup Turtle and that soup was indeed considered a delicacy.
    Never tried it, I'm not into food stuff made of "exotic" or rare animals.

I hate to say this but I've talked to hunters in America who say that cougar tastes delicious.

Yes, it's common enough among hunters in the US.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On a whole other level of toughness you'll get a microbe nicknamed Conan the Bacterium.
    "Conan the Bacterium" :D:D:D :pac: Brilliant.
    Yes, it's common enough among hunters in the US.
    As is bear.
    Turtle soup is very very smelly. Well the one made from the freshwater diamondback turtle is. Apparently any utensil you use to make it can't ever be cleared of the smell. It has a major impact on that species. IN China the freshwater turtle population and diversity has been massively impacted by hunting for food. There have been cases where researchers have discovered a new species or subspecies in Chinese markets only to find out the one they rescued is unique. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Heros In A Half Shell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Come on folks i can't be the only one with the dirty mind:D

I love the people who name phobias.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think I missed the first meaning of that post. I assumed he was being funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Real gutter level stuff sbsquarepants. Surely a lad can innocently grab a cougar for a spot of eating out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, you are. For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Take a large calf's head. Scald off the hair. Boil it until the horn is tender, then cut it into slices about the size of your finger, with as little lean as possible. Have ready three pints of good mutton or veal broth, put in it half a pint of Madeira wine, half a teaspoonful of thyme, pepper, a large onion, and the peel of a lemon chop't very small. A ¼ of a pint of oysters chop't very small, and their liquor; a little salt, the juice of two large onions, some sweet herbs, and the brains chop't. Stand all these together for about an hour, and send it up to the table with the forcemeat balls made small and the yolks of hard eggs.

- Mrs. Fowle's Mock Turtle Soup

Advertisement