Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Touch

• 20-06-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

This isn't being "officially" announced until tomorrow (although obviously as soon as I've posted this it's kinda moot), we've got a new version of the site built with touch enabled devices in mind (smartphones like iPhones and Android phones mostly, but works pretty well on a tablet too!).

We've only just finished development on this, so I'm hoping anyone who reads this forum will be able to help flush out any major bugs before the masses get to it :)

At the moment we're not doing any magical redirects, so to access the site visit http://touch.boards.ie.

Hope you like it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Looks good so far! Any way to get rid of the ads though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yep, subscribers can turn off ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I like the fact it's got embedded YouTube vids.. something m.boards.ie was seriously missing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its awesome!

Actually... if i click on a forum link in a PM it brings me to the full version of boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very impressed with it so far. Huge improvement over the old mobile site. Great work, guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

In-line ads is asking a bit much, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One problem I've encountered: it's not bringing me to the latest post. When I tap on a thread it brings me to the first page of that thread and I have to scroll to the end and tap on the last page and scroll to the end again, which is very awkward. Should it be remembering where I last was on the thread? If not, is there an easier way to get to the latest post?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

One problem I've encountered: it's not bringing me to the latest post. When I tap on a thread it brings me to the first page of that thread and I have to scroll to the end and tap on the last page and scroll to the end again, which is very awkward. Should it be remembering where I last was on the thread? If not, is there an easier way to get to the latest post?
    There we go, first bug! Fixed, thanks!
    Baza210 wrote: »
    In-line ads is asking a bit much, imo.
    It's gotta be paid for somehow dude. As I've mentioned, subscribers have the option of removing ads if they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I like it Ross

The view thanks is nice.

The user title shows as 'subscriber' instead of the custom one

• Advertisement

Another very minor thing that I've noticed:

In the My Forums list, if you tap on the time the last post was made (i.e. 1 minute ago, yesterday, etc) it brings you to the latest post regardless of whether you've read the thread or not. However, in the My Threads list, tapping on the same link brings up an error message saying "no post specified". And within individual forums, it's not possible to tap on this at all as there's no link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I like it.

From the look of the ads right now it is fine, but will the ads be checked beforehand? I mention this because a colourful ad would be distracting when placed in the middle of the thread. All the ads I've seen while browsing were of a similar colour scheme and it looked alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Looks good, the old site was pretty unwieldy but this seems to have just what you need and nothing superfluous. Good job!

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

just wondering is it possible to get a reply button at the bottom of a page?

was just testing it there and I read the last post in a thread. I only had an option to reply to the last post or to scroll to the top of the page to do a reply without quoting.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    just wondering is it possible to get a reply button at the bottom of a page?

was just testing it there and I read the last post in a thread. I only had an option to reply to the last post or to scroll to the top of the page to do a reply without quoting.
    Yeah, this would be handy. But it's just as easy to hit reply and then tap "clear text" to get rid of the quote.

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yeah, this would be handy. But it's just as easy to hit reply and then tap "clear text" to get rid of the quote.

Thanks for that, hadn't spotted the "Clear Text" function :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Looks great and is really easy to navigate.

One thing I have noticed, the text doesn't fit on to one screen, so you have to swipe the screen from left to right and then back again to read everything on it. I don't know if this is an issue on your end, or an issue with my phone, but on every other site I use the phone will auto fit the text on the page to the screen size.

It isn't a big deal, but would be good if it could be fixed.

Other than that great job guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ross wrote: »
    It's gotta be paid for somehow dude. As I've mentioned, subscribers have the option of removing ads if they wish.
    Yeah, I know, but in the desktop browser the ads are only peripheral (when logged in) and very infrequent in the m.boards.ie version. I appreciate that this is an extra resource that you aren't obliged to provide at all, but the current ad scheme feels too intrusive, to the extent that I personally would opt for either of the other two site versions mentioned since there is less visual interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Is there a multi-quote option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Is there a thanks filter on the homepage? Or am I just missing it?

Also, when I went into my posts, the first page had all my most recent posts. Then when I clicked into the second page, it had posts from 6 months ago by other users that I've never read before in threads I've never been in. Odd :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Am I the only one that doesnt like it :confused:

(sorry guys being honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one of the best features,
    spoilers work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I know you said it wasn't for tablets but maybe this is happening on phones too; my old custom avatar is showing even though I no longer have one (not objecting just seems inconsistent). Also, though I browse with avatar's off other people's avatars are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

So far so good. I like the embedded graphics and videos which you didn't get on mobile site.

One thing I see missing is a back to forum option at the bottom of a thread. Maybe I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

smoochie06 wrote: »
    One thing I see missing is a back to forum option at the bottom of a thread. Maybe I just missed it.
    Was just going to ask the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks great so far; well done.

When viewing the 'my threads' tab, I see a zero in brackets beside all the thread titles. Should this show the number of replies in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Been having trouble posting using the touch site all morning. Just loads about halfway, then stops. Have had to switch back to the mobile version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I like it. Definitely a big step up. I'm missing the subbed link but at least they've just been moved to the top of the forums tab. Would also like to be able to view 40 posts per page like on desktop edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I like it. Definitely a big step up. I'm missing the subbed link but at least they've just been moved to the top of the forums tab. Would also like to be able to view 40 posts per page like on desktop edition.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement