Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd gladly make the trip to Dublin to see Metallica if they played Marlay Park, it's been 3 years since i last saw Metallica live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd gladly make the trip to Dublin to see Metallica if they played Marlay Park, it's been 3 years since i last saw Metallica live

Don't worry, the set is still pretty much the ame. they'll finish the main set with NEM and Sandman then open the encore with a cover and finish with S&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think Load on it's own is an incredible album, Re-Load, not so much. But what I like most about those 2 albums is that the band ventured into uncharted waters, and said "feck it, this is what we want to play, like it or leave it", whereas with St. Anger and Death Mag they just reverted to form and played it safe. Don't get me wrong, I think DM is an amazing album, but would rather they went back in the direction of developing their music rather than playing it safe. If I want to listen to AJFA, I'll listen to AJFA, I don't need a newer version of it.

Load is a hugely under-rated album. Some brilliant songs on it. Too much filler on Reload imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Don't worry, the set is still pretty much the ame. they'll finish the main set with NEM and Sandman then open the encore with a cover and finish with S&D.

That's my main gripe with their live sets over the last couple of years,it's nearly always the same. The last almost wtf??!! setlist i saw them play was at Knebworth 2 years ago. It went like this:

Hit the Lights
    2. Master of Puppets
    3. The Shortest Straw
    4. Seek & Destroy
    5. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    6. Ride the Lightning
    7. The Memory Remains
    8. All Nightmare Long
    9. Sad But True
    10. The Call of Ktulu
    11. One
    12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
    13. Blackened
    14. Fade to Black
    15. Enter Sandman
    ENCORE
    16. Am I Evil? (w/ Diamond Head, Slayer, Megadeth & Anthrax)
    17. Battery
    18. Creeping Death

They at least mixed up the running order,Seek was early,Creep was last and they played a few rare(Ktulu/Straw) and relatively rare these days(Blackened/Battery) tracks. Other than that it was the same standard set. Much like Ireland,the UK has seen lots of Metallica shows since 2003 and at this stage there's few who haven't seen them live. Same goes for much of Europe tbh. I can understand the 'greatest hits' set when they hit somewhere new like India or China but not somewhere they've toured extensively before.

Last year i seen them at Werchter in Belgium. Because they were playing the whole of TBA they played Lights,Puppets,RTL,Bells to open and Hell & Back from Beyond Magnetic and then TBA. They closed with Battery,One and Seek. It was the first time i ever left a Metallica show early. As i boarded a bus back to Leuven about 2 miles away i could hear Lars,James and the lads saying the same old spiel at the end of the show. It's all got a bit tired imo. Granted i'm a bit spoiled as i've seen them a lot over the last few years but i don't think i'm alone in wanting them to shake it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should play something like the sets they played in the Filmore gigs more often. I'd love to go to a Metallica gig with that unknown sense of what's to come, rather than knowing they'll play all the old staples. At this stage they're playing to people who've seen them a good few times, so the fans don't need the greatest hits to draw them in, we're already fans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should play something like the sets they played in the Filmore gigs more often. I'd love to go to a Metallica gig with that unknown sense of what's to come, rather than knowing they'll play all the old staples. At this stage they're playing to people who've seen them a good few times, so the fans don't need the greatest hits to draw them in, we're already fans!

I dream of a rarities set in the button factory! (sound is a million times better than vicar st)

Metallica just hit one of the small stages at their own Orion festival under the alias 'Dehaan',They're not due to play until tomorrow night. They've played KEA in it's entirety apparently which should please Scudzilla.:pac:

5d7f95ded08111e29b8d22000aaa0a64_7.jpg

Appropriate how Metallica played Kill 'Em All in it's entirety, seeing as it's 30 years next month since it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They've called their Danish Appearance a European Vacation which hints at other gigs. Can't see a gig as big as Marley Park being announced this fast, to be fair, there would have been rumors or mumbling of a license being applied for.

Still a European Vacation - and one solitary European gig on it's own - makes me believe there will be more appearances. Their sound travels better indoors anyway so I'd love to see something like that, even (blesses himself) a club tour with a date in Vicar Street

• Advertisement

They've called their Danish Appearance a European Vacation which hints at other gigs. Can't see a gig as big as Marley Park being announced this fast, to be fair, there would have been rumors or mumbling of a license being applied for.

Still a European Vacation - and one solitary European gig on it's own - makes me believe there will be more appearances. Their sound travels better indoors anyway so I'd love to see something like that, even (blesses himself) a club tour with a date in Vicar Street

I do believe marley is booked for something yet unknown this summer

Ugh. I'd love them to play indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It WILL NOT BE Marley, the last show there never came close to selling out, and MCD would not put another Metallica show on there at such short notice, they'd lose a fortune.

Looks like the band are not set up for Arena's so it's just gonna be a few small dates.

My opinion, we won't see them here, if they do i'll run down Grafton Street in the nip

Full show from day one of the Orion festival as Dehaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

scudzilla wrote: »
    It WILL NOT BE Marley, the last show there never came close to selling out, and MCD would not put another Metallica show on there at such short notice, they'd lose a fortune.

Looks like the band are not set up for Arena's so it's just gonna be a few small dates.

My opinion, we won't see them here, if they do i'll run down Grafton Street in the nip

Quoted for posterity. (You didn't stipulate a date :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Any meaning behind Dehaan?

Beekay wrote: »
    Any meaning behind Dehaan?

It's the surname of the lead actor in their movie.

Quoted for posterity. (You didn't stipulate a date :P )

Grafton Street lol

lord lucan wrote: »
    Full show from day one of the Orion festival as Dehaan.

That sorta shit is wasted on American crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Got to see Newsted play this weekend and they were really good. Their stuff sounds very solid, so will definitely be a band to keep an eye on. Full album out in August apparently.

They managed to get in the "DIE, DIE.." chanting of Creeping Death before finishing off with Whiplash, with was proceeded by Jason saying
    "We did not write this next song, but I breath new life into it!".

Great gig!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

The metallica bassist is the most annoying guy in the world he goes around the stage like some annoying clown:P

Happy days with cliff and Jason the rob guy is a pain in the ass:eek:

i think Mike Patton and Tomahawk may have been an unwitting victim of Dehann!! I think i read they were on a different stage at the same time!

i think Mike Patton and Tomahawk may have been an unwitting victim of Dehann!! I think i read they were on a different stage at the same time!

I read somewhere that the Dropkick Murphys were on the main stage and they made reference to Metallica being on one of the smaller stages and they wouldn't feel hurt if people wanted to run off and catch their set.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the Dropkick Murphys were on the main stage and they made reference to Metallica being on one of the smaller stages and they wouldn't feel hurt if people wanted to run off and catch their set.
    Yeah i think patton said he'd probably go too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »
    That sorta shit is wasted on American crowds

To be fair, they probably don't shout 'Whiskey' throughout a gig or sing ole ole ole when the band leave the stage

To be fair, they probably don't shout 'Whiskey' throughout a gig or sing ole ole ole when the band leave the stage

Lol

Lol

Great post Mickey, just oozing wit quality ;) :P

Post whoring at it's finest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I can't wait til they come to Ireland again. I just got into them and I love Metallica. Maybe they'll be a gig here by them either 2014 or 2015....hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I can't wait til they come to Ireland again. I just got into them and I love Metallica. Maybe they'll be a gig here by them either 2014 or 2015....hopefully.

I'm surprised they didn't do more European dates with their one Dutch gig next month. It might have been a contractual obligation or a favor to a friend. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce something else. Or at least to hear they were trying to work on something else.

• Advertisement

I only came across this video now,never seen it before. It's both funny and sad at the same time given how things turned out.

Advertisement