Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tweet.ie sidebar for Firefox.

• 11-11-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of setting up a tweet sidebar for firefox (as the title says).

I wanted to get a feel for who are interested. Also if any suggestions.

Here is what I have so far as a spec.

1. Security end of it will be handled by the tweet.ie site (so you log into that site and away you go). Plugin won't know and assumes your logged in.

2. Information required for the card would be.
    • link to tweet.
    • user
    • comment
    • time

Anything else? Not sure if the avatar is going to be an issue. Think firefox will handle the caching so not pulling too much data.

3. What is a reasonable refresh time? This would have to be set server side with a minimum speed at client side.

After that anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cool project. Does tweet.ie support the official Laconi.ca API?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not sure but it would be easier for me if I just got JSON output similar to what we get for the PM plugin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Anyway to make it colourful and bubbly? :pac:
    Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hobbes wrote: »
    Not sure but it would be easier for me if I just got JSON output similar to what we get for the PM plugin.
    I think it does run on Official laconi.ca
    tweet.ie is a microblogging service brought to you by boards.ie Ltd.. It runs the Laconica microblogging software, version 0.4.1, available under the GNU Affero General Public License

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Just allow the person to set their own refresh time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

oeb wrote: »
    Just allow the person to set their own refresh time

PM plugin we allow the user to set it to 5 mins or higher checking. It is locked at 5 mins but you can hack but the server can just set it back again on the next update.

With tweets data is needed faster but have to take into account the amount of data being pulled. Cults the brainy bit behind that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hobbes wrote: »
    PM plugin we allow the user to set it to 5 mins or higher checking. It is locked at 5 mins but you can hack but the server can just set it back again on the next update.

With tweets data is needed faster but have to take into account the amount of data being pulled. Cults the brainy bit behind that tbh.

The easy way of doing it would be if you could just check the last modified date.

If this is not feasable on the rss feed, I can't imagine it being too difficult to write a very small script that just gets the timestamp of the last post (that would run on tweet.ie), check this first, if that is not > the last time the refresh was done, don't refresh. This way you are checking a page a couple of kb large, that runs a single sql query, as opposed to the main page or rss feed which is larger and runs more queries.

EDIT : earlier I was thinking about throwing together a python script to act as an interface for tweet. If you are doing this I will leave it alone though.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement