Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Metal" at the O2 Point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Patricide wrote: »
    Apparently KOL had great sound though which begs the question is it some greenhorn engineer they had on the desk whos never done a metal show or what?

I wasnt there last night but was at KOL and the sound was fantastic. They played quite loud but every element could be heard clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

adox wrote: »
    I wasnt there last night but was at KOL and the sound was fantastic. They played quite loud but every element could be heard clearly.
    Quite the opposite to last night so. Not much was clear and it wasnt too loud. I could easily speak to the people next to me during the bands sets.

Still id say its just gotta be teething problems with this being the first metal show in the o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Personally, I thought it was a great gig. Where I was standing (stage right, half way between stage and bar) the sound for all three bands was okay.

Testament really looked to be enjoying themselves and played a blinder, Megadeth were as per usual - tight musically and an excellent set list,they have yet to disappoint me any time I've saw them live (but nowadys it is more "The Dave Mustaine Band" than Megadeth), Priest were excellent, great light show and production plus classic metal to match.

Anyone in my company thoroughly enjoyed the night and thought it was excellent vfm for the price of the tickets. Only downside was €6 for a Carlsberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

testament r really great wen it comes to achnologing(spelling) the crowd, excellect performers and chuck givin it soks wit his guitar playin on his mic stand thing aha legend does any1 know if they play practice what you preach ? i mssed first half of their set:( good thing ive seen b4 or id hav ben really pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Would have been nice to see Mustaine at the Point, still, he's in Glasgow on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I thought it was quite a good show!! I and the lad I went with are big into Megadeth and we thought they were great! The sound improved a great deal after Take No Prisioners (2nd Song) and then Wake Up Dead kicked in! Real stiff after Megadeth actually :). Testament were good, poor sound but I really enjoyed Over The Wall, and Chuck's massive now! Priest were cheesy! I was prepared to see Spinal Tap take the stage then mini Stonehedge drop! But they were good, and Halford's entrances were hilarious I though, especially him dragged out on the chair by Death! And am i the only one who thought the base drum for Judas Priest was really loud?? Annoyed with 45 minute delay, standing outside Entrance A in the freezing cold watching 2/3 brave lads in sleeveless Megadeth T-Shirts (brave or stupid? :)). Left after Painkiller because we were really recked and had an hours journey home!

All and all, great show! And Megadeth stole it I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

People standing must have gotten the sh1t end of the stick when it comes to sound 'cause where I was sitting I could hear every note Chris Broderick played same can be said for Alex and the Priest crew. Priest took the show by a long shot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

tbh this concert made me realise i hate goin to concerts in ireland mainly cause of the crowd ,all the absolutly pointless and annoying pushing,how can u enjoy a gig wen ur jus ben constantly pushed into the person in front of u and tryin to keep urself upright ? wen was at earthshakerfest in germany was a far more enjoyable experience,some of crowd jumpin,some wavin arms in air, mayb one or 2 mosh pits goin but jus fun ones not were try jus tryin to find an excuse to smash into som1 and hope to hurt them and then others jus standin in place headinbaggin like crazy, no bs pushin,
    anyways i was disappointed wit megadeth tho i suppose ill giv em the benifit of the oubt wit the fact they wernt headlinin and had to do a short and quik set,testament were great woulda ben nice to see them get a bit better of a response from the crowd ppl screamin for megadeth between songs..sjhould b appriciating wat a good show testament put on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

niallith wrote: »
    tbh this concert made me realise i hate goin to concerts in ireland mainly cause of the crowd ,all the absolutly pointless and annoying pushing,how can u enjoy a gig wen ur jus ben constantly pushed into the person in front of u and tryin to keep urself upright ? wen was at earthshakerfest in germany was a far more enjoyable experience,some of crowd jumpin,some wavin arms in air, mayb one or 2 mosh pits goin but jus fun ones not were try jus tryin to find an excuse to smash into som1 and hope to hurt them and then others jus standin in place headinbaggin like crazy, no bs pushin,
    anyways i was disappointed wit megadeth tho i suppose ill giv em the benifit of the oubt wit the fact they wernt headlinin and had to do a short and quik set,testament were great woulda ben nice to see them get a bit better of a response from the crowd ppl screamin for megadeth between songs..sjhould b appriciating wat a good show testament put on

Can you type that again in English please? In other words, you have more than 160 characters on boards, lose the text speak!

Seriously, i couldn't understand a word of that and got a headache halfway through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mrhydeandseek

**** the O2, never going back there. The sound was horrible, beefcake Polish trying to stop you from filming or making a photo and they sent in a whole crew to stop people from dancing/moshing. Seriously, here they dont know what a metal concert is like.
    Very dissapointed and never setting one foot into the O2 again. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

beefcake Polish trying to stop you from filming or making a photo

They did? Excellent. Maybe I'll need to re-evaluate my scathing opinion to one less... well... scathing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The previous posts have included the following:(Left after Painkiller because we were really recked and had an hours journey) and my particular favourite, (Does anyone know if this place has a cloakroom?). I think you guys should have opted for Il Divo and left PriestFeast to the big boys! Now run along.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I enjoyed the show. Halford was well on form I like the new O2 layout - yer never too far from a pretty empty but expensive bar and toilet. The sound for Testament was muddy though, had this annoying echo thing going on but disappeared after that. I'd love to see them in a smaller venue headlining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I took a few photos and 5 second videos in full view of the security guys...they didn't mind at all.

As for a cloakroom - wouldn't be a whole lot to expect from a sparkling 'new' venue would it?

The venue apparently holds 13,000 people when full, can you imagine how big a cloakroom would need to be? And by the way dont give ticketmaster any ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

There are other venues of similar size that have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well you can piss off if you think people are going to hang around an extra hour or more just so you can take back your jacket after the gig. Bad enough getting the muppets away from the merch stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

In fairness it was great value for money! 3 bands one night. It wasn't packed in there they had the crowd well under control... huge queue at the start of the night but the security guys kept it moving. The levels were a bit all over the shop but what else can you expect. Newly decorated venue which is virgin to metal. It will improve with time. I really enjoyed the show and I thought the lay out is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Judas Priest...is that the one with a homo frontman?

Pub07 wrote: »
    Judas Priest...is that the one with a homo frontman?

No no nooooo, silly boy, that's the Scissor Sisters.
    Now run along and give daddy back his laptop before you get into trouble. Good boy!

• Advertisement

starflake wrote: »
    In fairness it was great value for money! 3 bands one night. It wasn't packed in there they had the crowd well under control... huge queue at the start of the night but the security guys kept it moving. The levels were a bit all over the shop but what else can you expect. Newly decorated venue which is virgin to metal. It will improve with time. I really enjoyed the show and I thought the lay out is great!

How much were the tickets incidently?
    Was only in the o2 once so far, and that was for UFC last month. I don't know how i'd be able to rate it as a music venue though, there isn't a hell of a lot of space on the ground level before it starts getting slopey. For seated gigs and other events, it might work, but for Rock/Metal gigs, the layout is a disaster.

Security was rubbish at the event I was at too, but i guess it's whoever they can get on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Ah it was funny the silly little yellow jacketed "security" attempting to calm the most pits.. every time the stopped it at one side, it would start somewhere they weren't standing! I just kept moving from pit to pit.. still a bit sore! ;)

And how pointless it is - if they had tried to grab a hold of the wrong person (grabbing them being illegal) they could have had war on their hands! I saw one bouncer getting a young fella in a half head lock/half choke hold, dirty feck!

jim o doom wrote: »
    And how pointless it is - if they had tried to grab a hold of the wrong person (grabbing them being illegal) they could have had war on their hands! I saw one bouncer getting a young fella in a half head lock/half choke hold, dirty feck!

It's kinda pathethic to see this sort of thing happening today. They really need security who know the kind of event it is, ie - one type to cater for sports events, others to cater for rock/metal and others to cater for chart stuff.

I know in the 90s, bands used to stop gigs midway through and threaten to riot if the security kept treating the punters like rubbish just because they were having a fun time in a pit. Phil Anselmo and Tom Araya were two prime examples of who used call the bands to halt if security didn't cop on.

Just sad to see that the more things change, the more they stay the same really.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    It's kinda pathethic to see this sort of thing happening today. They really need security who know the kind of event it is, ie - one type to cater for sports events, others to cater for rock/metal and others to cater for chart stuff.

I know in the 90s, bands used to stop gigs midway through and threaten to riot if the security kept treating the punters like rubbish just because they were having a fun time in a pit. Phil Anselmo and Tom Araya were two prime examples of who used call the bands to halt if security didn't cop on.

Just sad to see that the more things change, the more they stay the same really.

True that - love how you got a machine head lyric in the end there ;)

True that - love how you got a machine head lyric in the end there ;)

Totally unintentional, Machine Head are one band i never could get into. Although i started mellowing out around 93-94 which would be a valid explanation for that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

.. still a bit sore! ;)

Is that from the crowds pushing or did you happen to get backstage and inadvertantly wander into JPs frontmans dressing room?

Is that from the crowds pushing or did you happen to get backstage and inadvertantly wander into JPs frontmans dressing room?

Oh he ran into... wait for it, it's almost there... YOURE MA!
    (oh wait, wrong forum)

Machine head's first album is the only one I love - after that it was the odd song here and there and that's it.. but damn I love that first album..

The security stopping moshing is so pointless, I've been to some pretty mental moshpits (the maddest being Napalm Death in the red box a good few years back) - and it's fairly rare someone gets injured, as far as I've seen.

Compare that to the potential injury from a chokehold, incorrectly applied or even worse the fight between bouncer(s) & some guys mates who they have stupidly picked on..

Truth be told, If a bouncer had a mate of mine in any sort hold (especially due to it being both wrong and illegal), I'd tell him to let go & if he didn't then I am sure me and my backup of loads of tall mates (I'm only 5 ft 8 but im heavy haha) would be having some choice words..

Interesting to see who supports Brian Johnson and Co come April? I hope its not The Answer, they got the nod in the states.

• Advertisement

lol!! inadvertantly? I was waiting backstage with a tub of vaseline and a smile ;)/joking (or am i)

Advertisement