Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Feature Request] Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Would be cool, more so cos noone would knwo what I was browsing over here :)

Now all we need is an automatic translator to turn each post into Irish.

Anyone work at Google Language tools? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Go maith. I'm all for this.

As for editing any php or html for the menu.. it would be easy. It's a 2 second job to modify a header file.

As for the vbulletin software itself, you can create your own language packs as already mentioned. I don't see why anyone would object to something like this. It's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dlofnep wrote:

As for editing any php or html for the menu.. it would be easy. It's a 2 second job to modify a header file.

As for the vbulletin software itself, you can create your own language packs as already mentioned. I don't see why anyone would object to something like this. It's a great idea.

0_o you volunteering? I'm sure seamus would accept the help

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dlofnep wrote:

Is that an offer of help to translate? :)
    I'd say the forum names are an entirely different ball game altogether - thus the nav menu may be a bit more tricky. Does anyone know if vB has the option to specify different names for forums when you have more than one language installed?

Incidentally, I'm yet to get any volunteers for the two items I posted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

seamus wrote:
    Is that an offer of help to translate? :)
    Incidentally, I'm yet to get any volunteers for the two items I posted :(

I'll do my best to help with the translation if the admins give us access to the English language pack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I might be able to help a bit with translations but I'm rather busy these days so no guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm nowhere near fluent enough as gailege to help with a comprehensive translation. Sorry guys. :(

OK I've got the language file, many thanks to the member in question.

Plan of action is to figure out an easy way of extracting the phrases from the xml file, and putting them into a format that makes then easy to read, but also that I can use to update the language file when done.

I'll start a thread on development detailing what way it's going to work, and also stick a thread on the Irish board looking for more volunteers, if simu doesn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Can we give this project the kiss of life? (to develop an Irish Language Pack and make it an option under the user control panel)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Looks like this never made it to the development section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

But now that cult is in the development seat, if enough people posted it could be something that might happen. I do think it's a great idea, given that it is an irish forum!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moved to Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maybe put the phrases up on the wiki and let the (Irish speaking) community donate time to translate them?
    What needs to be extracted from the XML?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Whatever way it needs to be done- we could have one person collecting it, and anyone interested can be given a file to translate- thats how they did OpenOffice..

Had long forgotten this- a year isn't long though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Put me down as a volunteer for the translating!

Any movement/progress/anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd volunteer as a translator too. I'm helping to translate another site at the minute and focal.ie is just a godsend. My Irish isn't fantastic, but that only really becomes a problem for long batches of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm willing to give a dig out with transaltions also. Shouldn't be too big a task if we split it up.

I did get my hands on a language pack, but because this never got off the ground I think I dumped it.

I'll check and see if I have it, though Cult should be able to get it.

Right I don't want this to wander back into oblivion... anything that I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well, I have a vBulletin English Language XML file, gotta let you know guys, we're talking about circa 6000 phrases (between one word and fifty) for a complete translation.

If you want to do it I'll put the XML defined phrases up on the wiki (which appears to be broken right now, I'll have to take boards.ie offline to check it).

Buttons and stuff are copyright by Jelsoft though, I can't put sources/raws for those up for people to edit (don't know if they can be altered by a language change anyway, might be restricted to themes).

CuLT wrote: »
    Well, I have a vBulletin English Language XML file, gotta let you know guys, we're talking about circa 6000 phrases (between one word and fifty) for a complete translation.

If you want to do it I'll put the XML defined phrases up on the wiki (which appears to be broken right now, I'll have to take boards.ie offline to check it).

Buttons and stuff are copyright by Jelsoft though, I can't put sources/raws for those up for people to edit (don't know if they can be altered by a language change anyway, might be restricted to themes).

Sounds good! thanks!

sure 6000 ain't much;)

Cliste wrote: »
    Sounds good! thanks!

sure 6000 ain't much;)
    Cool :)

Sorry for not posting on this thread sooner, I spent far too much time fumbling around for a language file and reading up on their creation and implementation and then boards went offline and... it just plain slipped my mind thereafter!

Well as soon as it's up can you tells us- it might take a while!

And thanks!

I hate dragging things up but.........

I pre-emptively love, and thank you.

Cliste wrote: »
    I hate dragging things up but.........

I pre-emptively love, and thank you.
    Rightio, here's the page with the XML data uploaded to it:

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Vbulletin_Irish_translation_project

Feel free to rename/edit as you like! The part of those phrases that require translation is the bit between the <![CDATA[]]> tags, eg:

[php]<![CDATA[Access Denied]]>[/php]

The rest is necessary to allow the XML file to be hooked into vbulletin.

Legend thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'll help too! Just have to finish college exams and then I will be right there!
    <3 Cult and Admins for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

The initial flurry of interest in the translation has waned a bit. I reckon it's because most of the phrases put up in the wiki are related to back-end administration rather than phrases that users are familiar with. I'm going to continue to plug away on the translation but focus only on front-end
    phrases. When those phrases are done, which it still a ways off at this rate, would it be possible to put them up as an optional language pack to see how it looks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Seconded.

Well done so far though!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement