Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are amputating someone's leg it's best not to give them something to drink first. It thins the blood or somesuch so they are more likely to bleed out.

After you've cauterised the wound or stitched up the stump they could probably do with a wee drop.

Oh to live in a world with painkillers , sterile surgery , and antibiotics.

I'm always reminded of Tony Robinson's quote about how if you took a peasant from a few hundred years ago and told them they wouldn't have to worry about starving or freezing or working to death and they wouldn't have to bow down before the local lord they'd consider it a New Jerusalem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alcohol causes vasodilatation, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If you are amputating someone's leg it's best not to give them something to drink first. It thins the blood or somesuch so they are more likely to bleed out.

After you've cauterised the wound or stitched up the stump they could probably do with a wee drop.

Oh to live in a world with painkillers , sterile surgery , and antibiotics.

I'm always reminded of Tony Robinson's quote about how if you took a peasant from a few hundred years ago and told them they wouldn't have to worry about starving or freezing or working to death and they wouldn't have to bow down before the local lord they'd consider it a New Jerusalem.
    Imagine if you told them not only would they not have to worry about starving or freezing but they could get money for nothing for the rest of their lives by filling out a few forms! They wouldn't be able to believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Imagine if you told them not only would they not have to worry about starving or freezing but they could get money for nothing for the rest of their lives by filling out a few forms! They wouldn't be able to believe it.

Give it a rest Paddy... this isn't the thread for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Give it a rest yourself. Your not a mod and there's nothing wrong with my post. Someone from hundreds of years ago would find modern life very strange. Very convenient but very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Paddy Cow wrote:
    Give it a rest yourself. Your not a mod and there's nothing wrong with my post. Someone from hundreds of years ago would find modern life very strange. Very convenient but very strange.

Mod

Relax guys, this is meant to be light-hearted.

I was responsible for bringing proceedings to a halt a few days ago - sorry Paddy Cow - so let's see if I can kick things off again,

Did you know that a study carried out shows that the wearing of tinfoil hats is more likely to amplify government reserved frequencies (US I assume) than it is to block any signals!

https://www.howtogeek.com/114037/researchers-prove-tin-foil-hats-boost-receptivity-to-government-signals/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

7662_4c3d_500.jpeg

It would take until 2040 to make that billion.

7662_4c3d_500.jpeg

It would take until 2040 to make that billion.

Just did the maths.
    Somebody can correct me.

2019-1492 is 527 years.

527 * 365 is 192, 355 days

192,355 x $5,000 = $961,775,000.

Part 1 checks out, still wouldn't be a billionaire.
    Part 2, it'll take until 2040, did the maths, again checks out, but Jeff Bezos surely doesn't make $900,000,000 a week??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

He wouldn't get a payslip with that amount; it's presumably just what his shares in Amazon (and other investments) are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Since the founding of Amazon Jeff Bezos' average net income is about $12,000,000 per day or $139 per second.

Just did the maths.
    Somebody can correct me.
    August 3, 1492 , leap years and the calendar change won't change it much.
    Part 2, it'll take until 2040, did the maths, again checks out, but Jeff Bezos surely doesn't make $900,000,000 a week??
    CBA checking part 2, maybe there was One Week when his shares went up that much ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The closest US state to Africa is Maine!

A peninsula called Quoddy Head is located at the easternmost point of the United States. The distance to Africa is about 3,154 miles (5,076 kilometres) from El Beddouza (see below).

AfricaAmerica4.jpg

Evade wrote: »
    Since the founding of Amazon Jeff Bezos' average net income is about $12,000,000 per day or $139 per second.

5454_c04a_500.jpeg

The problem with that is how do you tax the valuation of a company? It's not that he has all his wealth in a Scrooge McDuck style money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Evade wrote: »
    The problem with that is how do you tax the valuation of a company? It's not that he has all his wealth in a Scrooge McDuck style money pit.

Corporation tax.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Corporation tax.
    That taxes Amazon's profits, not Bezos personally. He'll still own about 12% of a nearly trillion dollar company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A publicly traded company's valuation is (supposed to be) based on the anticipated future profits of that company, particularly via dividends.
    If those profits are taxed at a higher level, there's less money available to be distributed to shareholders.
    With a lower dividend expectation, the company valuation would drop which would, in effect, be a tax on Bezos.

It's pie-in-the-sky stuff though really. Unless we can achieve global co-operation from governments on corporation tax (i.e. tax harmonisation), any attempts to raise it will just give rise to more multi-nationals switching their "headquarters" to the countries charging the lowest effective corporate taxation rates.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

August 3, 1492 , leap years and the calendar change won't change it much.

CBA checking part 2, maybe there was One Week when his shares went up that much ?
    Just did the maths.
    Somebody can correct me.

2019-1492 is 527 years.

527 * 365 is 192, 355 days

192,355 x $5,000 = $961,775,000.

I'm getting 528 years (if you want to include 2019). If you multiply that by 365.25 (to include the leap years, but without being too precise as to how many leap years there were) then I get 192,825. By $5000, that's "only" $964,260,000. Or approx. $18,476,494.06 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Has anyone ever heard of auto brewery syndrome? No it's nothing to do with having a feed of drinks and then driving home. Well not exactly.
    A strange disease called auto-brewery syndrome (ABS), also dubbed “drunkenness disease,” was recently reported in a case study conducted by researchers from Richmond University Medical Center.

Auto-brewery syndrome is a bizarre condition that causes someone to become drunk without consuming any alcohol. This happens after patients eat carb-filled foods, which get fermented by bacteria in the gut.

Some say it’s extremely rare, but researchers of the new study believe it may simply be under-diagnosed. One reason could be that patients who suffer from the disease are often accused of drinking too much, despite not having consumed alcohol.

In the most recently-known case, New Scientist reports that the condition suffered by a 46-year-old man (who was a light social drinker) emerged after he was pulled over one morning for driving under the influence.

After he refused to take a breathalyzer test and was hospitalized, the man’s medical tests showed that he had a blood-alcohol level of 200 mg/dL. That’s comparable to someone who’s consumed about 10 alcoholic drinks.
    :eek:
    Obviously, it’s more than enough to induce slurred speech, impaired balance, and disorientation.

In other words, the man was indeed drunk. But he had not had any alcohol.
    Bacteria That Causes Auto Brewery Syndrome

Wikimedia CommonsSaccharomyces Cerevisiae bacteria, also known as ‘brewer’s yeast.’

“For years, no one believed him,” Fahad Malik, a co-author of the recent study who is now a chief medical resident at University of Alabama at Birmingham, told New Scientist. “The police, doctors, nurses, and even his family told him he wasn’t telling the truth, that he must be a closet-drinker.”

It wasn’t until a helpful aunt, who heard of a similar case in Ohio and urged him to pursue treatment there, that the truth finally came out. Laboratory tests of the man’s fecal matter showed traces of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, also known as “brewer’s yeast,” and Saccharomyces boulardii.

After his diagnosis of auto-brewery syndrome was confirmed, physicians in Ohio treated the man with anti-fungal medication for about a month. His symptoms improved and with that he was discharged on a strict carb-free diet — to avoid foods that could trigger fermentation by the bacteria.

However, the Ohio doctors didn’t prescribe anymore anti-fungal therapy. Within a few weeks, his drunken episodes flared up again.

At one point, he got so drunk that he fell, which resulted in intracranial bleeding. Tests at the hospital later showed that his blood alcohol levels had spiked to 400 mg/dL — twice the amount detected in his system compared to the last time he was pulled over for DUI. And, again, hospital staff did not believe that he had not been drinking beforehand.

Desperate, the man sought help from all kinds of medical professionals — internists, neurologists, psychiatrists, gastroenterologists — but nobody could help cure his ailment. That’s when he found an online support group and contacted researchers at Richmond University on Staten Island, who agreed to treat him for his condition.

According to the study’s researchers, they put him back on anti-fungal therapy treatment, which involved 150 to 200 mg of oral itraconazole every day, along with probiotics to normalize the microbes in his gut.

But the man relapsed again after secretly eating pizza and drinking soda during his treatment. Researchers swapped his medicine to 150 mg of intravenous micafungin per day for six weeks.

All because he was over exposed to antibiotics following thumb surgery eight years before. :eek:

File that one under unintended consequences! :P

Aside from being mentioned this morning on Lyric FM (:)), I think it was brought up in an episode of House.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ah, I don't listen to Lyric so I missed that, :P and I didn't see it on House. Oh well, I've put it up there, so I'm not going to delete it now, and leave your reply hanging out of context. ;)

Still, it is a weird/spooky/dangerous condition to have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The last trial in the UK under the Witchcraft Act of 1735 took place in 1944. the accused was found guilty and sentenced to 9 months in prison.
    https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/Helen-Duncan-Scotlands-last-witch/

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The types of cranes known as derricks, using pulleys and booms to lift objects, get their name from Thomas Derrick, a 17th Century executioner in London, who devised a new method for hanging involving pulleys, instead of the simple rope over a beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The last trial in the UK under the Witchcraft Act of 1735 took place in 1944. the accused was found guilty and sentenced to 9 months in prison.
    https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/Helen-Duncan-Scotlands-last-witch/

Here is the case of the surfing witch.
    http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-1643-murder-of-newburys-surfing-witch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

We had a guy in work named Derek, he was a bit of a hangman as well lol

There weren't enough applicants for the role of executioner and so the Earl of Essex pardoned a rapist on condition that he would take on the job.

That rapist was Thomas Derrick.

He executed the Earl of Essex in 1601.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Advertisement