Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I have to disagree with you coming on here ranting about a bad experience in the restaurant but yet you didn’t feel strongly enough at the time to call the Manager or owner (as he is usually in the kitchen) and complain?

You should have called the Manager or owner and told them how you felt at the time and I’m sure something would have been done to accommodate you. I was a regular in there for 2-3years (going at least once a week) as the early bird menu (€20 for starter/main/desert/ and glass of wine) is without doubt the best value restaurant night out in Ireland. But over the last year I have started going to Cafe Goa as I also love Indian food and I find the food and service there also very good and when you become a regular they REALLY take care of you(2 big glasses of wine free each night).

On Wednesday I went back to L’atmosphere for the early bird as I fancied a change. My wife is also vegan so when we go in we ask for the owner and he always comes out to see as and discuss what he is going to make up for her. Anyway I ordered the egg mimosa for starter which was excellent as it was light yet full of flavour, also on the plate was some slivers of very expensive Parma ham and proper mixed salad leafs (not iceberg lettuce) . The main I ordered the Beef in a pot (can’t remember the name), very similar to an Irish stew. This arrived and I expected a small portion as its only costing about €7 when u factor it into the early bird...the lid was lifted and it was a great big portion and full with flavour again. For desert I had meringue with homemade ice cream which was top notch. I also ordered a bottle of red wine and 2 desert wines. But genuinely it was the best meal I have had this year...And I’ve been to Paris, Italy and Thailand this year.

I felt that as I enjoyed the meal so much I would tell the kitchen staff as its comments like this that keep them banging out food to a high standard and a little praise goes a long way. By the was I have owned my own restaurant and also worked in 5 star hotels in management positions, and I also eat out a lot so I have a fair idea of what good food tastes like lol.

For some reason us Irish never complain when we should and bitch loads afterwards. The next time you have a problem in a restaurant call the manager or owner and tell them so they can do something about it...otherwise they just don’t know...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

For some reason us Irish never complain when we should and bitch loads afterwards. The next time you have a problem in a restaurant call the manager or owner and tell them so they can do something about it...otherwise they just don’t know...!!!

Maybe instead of your ranting and bitching you should have actually read the OP. The person who made the booking did ring the manager afterwards.

The OP did the right thing. They were correct to walk out. Why should any customer be obliged to ring the manager and say 'excuse me, but could you please tell the waitress to take our order, we are ready now'.

Its the managers job to manage, not the customers. If the manager doesn't know whats going on in their restaurant they shouldn't be manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Excuse me THEIRISHMOB but as I stated in my post my friend who had booked it did not leave it go and called the manager the next day to complain and explain the situation. As I have been away on business for past few days I have not had a chance to talk to her to see the outcome.

You are entitled to your opinion but seriously if you had a rude waitress who ignored you for 30mins would you want to have to endure that for the rest of the meal if we were accomdated - no thank you. If I am nice and potlite and treat the staff with respect I expect the same in return.

I have no problem bringing attention to things that are wrong or complaing where necessary but I am entitled to ask if anyone else experienced the same thing even after I talked to the owner etc. This is a discussion form and by the way I know what good food tastes like too you do not need to be in the restaurant trade for that either.

As I previouly stated I like L'atmosphere the food is excellent and is great value for mobey etc but I just wanted to know if anyone esle had the same experience as I have heard a few people have had bad service there and it be a shame for one or two people to do dange to the business.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

That is an awful story,

I have never eaten in there myself but in any nice place to eat thread someone will without a doubt reccomend there fairly quickly.

My advice? Email them and link to this thread. Be nice to give the owner/manager a chance to have their say.

You never know what can be wrong with someone(although you do say it's not the first time) and speaking as someone who works in the service sector who had kissed an unmentionable amount of of customer ass from my Superquinn days personal life can unfortunately spill over (and I'm aware it shouldn't).

I'd be interested to know what the owner says/does if you'd kindly let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

dayshah wrote: »
    Maybe instead of your ranting and bitching you should have actually read the OP. The person who made the booking did ring the manager afterwards.

AND THE MANAGER SAID WHAT?
    And I think it’s wrong to walk out of a restaurant without first trying to speak to someone and sort out the problem. Regarding restaurant staff in this country...we pay peanuts so we get monkeys...would you work for €8.90 a hour?
    Also almost every restaurant in Ireland has the same problem...you cannot get good staff because they have never been trained to a high enough standard and also the owners/managers don’t know there is a problem as we never complain enough. I would be shocked that if this restaurant got 2 or 3 calls today about this same problem then it would be sorted this evening.
    I think every restaurant should supply comment cards for customers that are unhappy but feel to uncomfortable to complain so that we can still do so by writing a note of our experience’s. Finally without passing the buck... as you said if the managers were doing there job correctly there would never be these problems with the staff as a manager should have seen that the group of ladies were waiting without for so long without being served.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^ Plenty of retail staff are lovely working for only €8.65 an hour though so I don't know about that argument.

Same can be said for the staff in say brunch in town who are all lovely but surely aren't paid much more then €8.90

I was in the states there recently and everyone (granted it's a tipping culture so it's in their interest) is top class in terms of customer service.

ziedth wrote: »
    That is an awful story,

I have never eaten in there myself but in any nice place to eat thread someone will without a doubt reccomend there fairly quickly.

My advice? Email them and link to this thread. Be nice to give the owner/manager a chance to have their say.

You never know what can be wrong with someone(although you do say it's not the first time) and speaking as someone who works in the service sector who had kissed an unmentionable amount of of customer ass from my Superquinn days personal life can unfortunately spill over (and I'm aware it shouldn't).

I'd be interested to know what the owner says/does if you'd kindly let us know.
    As soon as I talk to my friend and find out what the outcome was I will post here. It will probably be later tonight or tomorrow before I get to post.

^ Plenty of retail staff are lovely working for only €8.65 an hour though so I don't know about that argument.

Same can be said for the staff in say brunch in town who are all lovely but surely aren't paid much more then €8.90

I was in the states there recently and everyone (granted it's a tipping culture so it's in their interest) is top class in terms of customer service.

I totally agree with you there. When I was in college I worked in the retail industry for min wage but I was trained for the job and was always polite to customers.

Exactly I was in US last year and the staff every where were so nice from shops, restaurants, hotels etc. As you said granted the are alot of their income the culture over there places huge importance on customer service and that ideas needs to be in place here even more so in today's climate. I am not saying staff should have to put up with rude abusive treatment from customers but generally I find customer service varies greatly from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

[QUOTE=THEIRISHMOB;67697784 Regarding restaurant staff in this country...we pay peanuts so we get monkeys...would you work for €8.90 a hour? [/QUOTE]

Well what do you suggest someone is paid to wait tables? I think 8.90/hour is pretty good for an unskilled job. I worked in food myself for 5 years (at £3.20 an hour) and I always made sure I was pleasant, attentive and quick, that's what I was paid to do. If you are working for someone you give the job your full attention, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

It kind of sounds to me like the waitress was having a dig at the OPs group in particular as I get the impression from the OP that everyone else seemed to be getting served and people who had come in after them had been served. Either the waitress is really badly organised or took a dislike to the OPs group and left them waiting on purpose. Third possibility is that she was overworked as she was waiting tables and doing reception at the same time from my reading of it. If that's the case then it's back to being the managers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

And I think it’s wrong to walk out of a restaurant without first trying to speak to someone and sort out the problem. Regarding restaurant staff in this country...we pay peanuts so we get monkeys...would you work for €8.90 a hour?

Rubbish, they didn't seem too bothered about looking after them when they walked in, so they shouldn't mind them walking out.

If restaurants can't hire good staff at €8.90 an hour -- which I seriously doubt -- then they should pay more. That is unless they want people walking out because the staff are ignorant. It's the restaurants problem. Other restaurants have excellent staff, who are probably getting paid the same wage, and it's those places that will do well. As it should be.
    Also almost every restaurant in Ireland has the same problem...you cannot get good staff because they have never been trained to a high enough standard and also the owners/managers don’t know there is a problem as we never complain enough.

Sure they can train their staff themselves! It's not rocket science. A pleasant manner, a smile and some basic level of attentiveness is pretty much 90% of the battle.

The owners should bloody know there's a problem, sure aren't they working in the same building most of the time? Don't they hear the complaints? (Since some people will always complain.) Don't they occasionally stick their head out to see what is going on? If they are not familiar with their staff, then it's their problem.
    I think every restaurant should supply comment cards for customers that are unhappy but feel to uncomfortable to complain so that we can still do so by writing a note of our experience’s. Finally without passing the buck... as you said if the managers were doing there job correctly there would never be these problems with the staff as a manager should have seen that the group of ladies were waiting without for so long without being served.

Exactly.

I would have to agree with a lot of posters, L'Atmosphere does excellent food. But the last time I was there, there was one waitress working under huge pressure. It was ridiculous, she hadn't a hope of doing everything in a timely manner. I only mention this because others have mentioned the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Eek, I have a table in L'atmosphere booked for next Friday before the Tommy Tiernan gig - I'm sure it'll be fine but if it's going to be slow then I'd be worried about getting up to the Forum by the time doors open - I don't want to be stuck down the back!
    I have seen the waitress work the dining room on her own before, but it never affected me because the crowd I was with wasn't in a hurry (and there was tremendous amounts of food to get through), surely they wouldn't have her on her own on a Friday night?

Eek, I have a table in L'atmosphere booked for next Friday before the Tommy Tiernan gig - I'm sure it'll be fine but if it's going to be slow then I'd be worried about getting up to the Forum by the time doors open - I don't want to be stuck down the back!
    I have seen the waitress work the dining room on her own before, but it never affected me because the crowd I was with wasn't in a hurry (and there was tremendous amounts of food to get through), surely they wouldn't have her on her own on a Friday night?

I'm sure it'll fine, and you would expect backup on a Friday night. Strange how busy the place can get during the week though. It can be busy any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I always had a great time in there when I went to Waterford, but like other posters said you should have complained or at least written a letter of complaint the next day expressing your disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

SHE DID - or at least one fo the party did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea but she posted a complaint on a public forum about a local business prior to knowing what the manager of said business had to say. That just smacks of petulance regardless of whether the business has performed in a less than professional manner or not.

At time of posting, 486 people at least are now aware of what may or may not in reality have been shoddy service.

Internet warriors give me ire.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »

And I think it’s wrong to walk out of a restaurant without first trying to speak to someone and sort out the problem.

They said they tried to get their attention,
    Its very big of you to lecture people for what they did, they are perfectly entitled to walk out if they want.
    Regarding restaurant staff in this country...we pay peanuts so we get monkeys...would you work for €8.90 a hour?

Oh ffs,
    They are paid to do a job, it is not the OP's or anyone else's concern what rate they are paid. If they are paid to do a job they should do it.

Your excuse is a laugh
    Also almost every restaurant in Ireland has the same problem...you cannot get good staff because they have never been trained to a high enough standard and also the owners/managers don’t know there is a problem as we never complain enough.

That's some generalization,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

old gregg wrote: »
    yea but she posted a complaint on a public forum about a local business prior to knowing what the manager of said business had to say. That just smacks of petulance regardless of whether the business has performed in a less than professional manner or not.

At time of posting, 486 people at least are now aware of what may or may not in reality have been shoddy service.

Internet warriors give me ire.

Do yourself a favor, NEVER go to the consumer issue forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A friend and I went into that restaurant opposite the old cinema, it has a number for a name I think, when it first opened. We went in and asked at the counter for a table for two. The woman at the counter said abruptly, sit there, pointing at some chairs near the window. We sat and waited. Two people behind the counter foostered around and a couple of waitresses came and went. No one spoke to us. No one said how long we would have to wait. After a few minutes feeling rather foolish, we left.

On another occasion I went into a restaurant in West Cork (can't remember the name or place) Strange place, a long narrow room like a railway carriage. People sitting at all the tables, waiting. Nothing happening. We sat for a moment, it was like a scene from an avant garde play. No sign of anyone serving, or eating. So after a couple of minutes we left there too.

You do not go into a restaurant to be ignored, if there is no service, you leave, or make a fuss. You shouldn't have to annoy yourself making a fuss though when you are out for a meal. What could the manager have said that would have made any difference at that stage?

I have been in L'Atmosphere once and had an excellent meal with very attentive and courteous service from two waiters, and the manager in the background. I would go again, but I too would walk out if I were being actively ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

have had the same experiance there, didnt complain though, I just wont give them my custom again is all, plenty of other lovely places round the town

I have to say on the note of coming onto a public fourm. if we could only talk about positive's of a place that is no good to anyone.

It would be pretty obvious to spot those who come on to blatantly running down a place which we can all see the OP didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Is l'Atmosphere the one beside Foxy Choppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

So, how's the Restaurant Review thread coming along?

Seriously though, wouldn't this thread be better served in there, than bad-naming a business based on a bad experience with one member of staff?

gscully wrote: »
    So, how's the Restaurant Review thread coming along?

Seriously though, wouldn't this thread be better served in there, than bad-naming a business based on a bad experience with one member of staff?

I actually think you might have a point. I think I'll move it up there. Any questions PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I have to say on the note of coming onto a public fourm. if we could only talk about positive's of a place that is no good to anyone.

It would be pretty obvious to spot those who come on to blatantly running down a place which we can all see the OP didn't do.

indeed if someone comes onto this or any other forum and says that they've received shoddy service, complained to the manager and received an unsatisfactory response then it's probably as clear cut as can be ascertained in the absence of being present and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Coming onto a public forum and naming and shaming a local business without receiving any response from the management is hardly the same thing. Actually, anyone can come on here and name and shame any business they don't like (or their competitors) if thats' the case.

I've never been into the named establishment nor have any idea as to the identity of any involved but am uncomfortable with unverified and anonymous complaints against a reputable local business especially during the tourist season.

And if it's all true and they are providing a shoddy service? Once the truth is public, then fine let's all complain. In the absence of proof then it's a case of tread gently and beware of the legalities I'd reckon.

I see your point Greg but think of the other alternative what good is it to only allow poitive reviews and experiences (I'm speaking as a user of the site here).

I'd rather that we're not allowed comment at all then only say good things. We are a discussion fourm and I honestly think the OP was right to come on here, rereading the OP he or she comes over very fair I don't think there is even a liable issue with saying you had a bad meal or experience somewhere. How could there be? Otherwise every reviewer in the land would be getting sued All over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm surprised they waited the 30 mins before they walked out. I'd have done it sooner. I would have brought it to the manager's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is l'Atmosphere the one beside Foxy Choppers?

No Henerette St. Behind City Square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

old gregg wrote: »
    indeed if someone comes onto this or any other forum and says that they've received shoddy service, complained to the manager and received an unsatisfactory response then it's probably as clear cut as can be ascertained in the absence of being present and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The manager is responsible for what happens there, not the customer.

The manager wasn't there. If they are any good they should know what's going on in their own restaurant.

Advertisement