Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

I'll probably get another warning for this, but am I the only one who thinks it funny that captain kane man got a 7 day ban, on his first day back he writes
    think beforeyou writeyou good little boy,

And gets a permaban.
    For not thinking before he wrote it.

Oh, wait, neither did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

one quick question, how soon will it be before we get a fairly reliable forecast for early january, herself is popping the baby out early in the new year and want to plan ahead as early as possible, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

hairyslug wrote: »
    one quick question, how soon will it be before we get a fairly reliable forecast for early january, herself is popping the baby out early in the new year and want to plan ahead as early as possible, cheers

Probably the last few days of December if you want it to be any way reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

hairyslug wrote: »

what a charming way to put it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

shootie wrote: »

Hmm...

White out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Forecast for January .. Sleepless nights.... Nappies... More sleepless nights ...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

bb1234567 wrote: »
    how does it not fit with your desire for snow hes saying the month will be cold and snowy?
    does anyone know what hes forecasting for jan/feb?

Not really. it is mainly on higher ground and as he says, it will be up amd down and there will be a return to milder temps by the end of Dec. There was too much ambiguity in what he was saying...not that that is uncommon with him. Perhaps I took him up incorrectly but his forecast did not fill me with confidence for snow. Of course, he wouldn't say if it will snow on xmas day...jokingly, with a smirk, he points to buying his forecsst for us to find out. Although, it has to be said. He did refund his subscribers for getting the second half of November wrong and his first Dec forecast wrong. He proposes also, an update on Dec over the coming days as they are still getting their heads around this 800,000km scar on the sun that they believe has caused this upset.

At present accuweather at my location which is 15mins from Dub Airport says ot is 1c but hasslowly but surely gone to realfeel of -8. Nippy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

irish1967 wrote: »
    Forecast for January .. Sleepless nights.... Nappies... More sleepless nights ...

Good luck with everything, Irish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

1st decent shower of hail/sleet/snow that covered the ground and had it all white for a bit just now

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

naughto wrote: »
    1st decent shower of hail/sleet/snow that covered the ground and had it all white for a bit just now

Where is your back garden?:cool:

castlebar -its all gone now tho:(

There is little chance of widespread wintry weather at the end of this week. Temperatures will dip again late on Thursday into Saturday but any wintry showers will be confined to nw and N. Even then, these showers will be well scattered.

After that our weather looks like remaining relatively mild with temperatures around average or maybe slightly below at times, especially on Tuesday of next week.

We may have to wait a little longer for our next wintry outbreak.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Another Mark Vogan update where he states not to depend too much on the models, he still expects snow and cold later in December...

He sees majority of the UK covered by snow come Christmas with more significant cold moving into January...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

The more I see this guy the more I like him. I just hope he's bloody right!

I love the way he gives us a peek out the window of the snow at the end! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Yes its chilly but even in the Northwest the snow is retricted to the highest peaks. Truskmore in north Co.Sligo (626 metres high) has only a capping of sleety snow today. The set up was never right for widespread snowfall. The general trend between now and Christmas is for a high pressure to build over Ireland and UK... I always sware by Brian Gaze on theweatheroutlook.com and he reckons no snow or cold this side of Christmas. It is going to be mild damp and foggy... typical Irish winter weather so sorry if I not ramping the snow up but I a realist and accept thatlast winter was a once in a 50 year event for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Snow on top of some of Mayo's mountains an hour ago... much of it seems to have gone now though. :(

Naughto, did you ever get that fence fixed in your back garden?

That fence was irreparable Snow Ghost. Storm Carmen saw to that.

DSC00585.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

WolfeIRE wrote: »

DSC00585.jpg

God bless that fence :(

• Advertisement

DSC00585.jpg

when i took that pic i never thought it would get posted.talked about some much.u should see my back garden now its like aswamp

ya its all fixed now it was on the ground a good 6months and half rotten from all the snow we got last winter

DSC00585.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

when i took that pic i never thought it would get posted.talked about some much.u should see my back garden now its like aswamp

Joe Bastardi has a folder with pics of that fence in it naughto... with the pages stuck together. :eek:

:D Naughto. It's the one image I remember from Storm Carmen, with the exception of Iancar being battered by Achill sea foam.

Why is your garden like a swamp? Snow melt?

:D Naughto. It's the one image I remember from Storm Carmen, with the exception of Iancar being battered by Achill sea foam.

Why is your garden like a swamp? Snow melt?

no its from all the rain,it has no where to go so its like a spunge

UKMO Monthly outlook

Monday 5 December Published at 10:00
    Monthly Outlook
    Summary
    First taste of winter

Finally, after the mildest autumn on record for Wales and Northern Ireland, and the second mildest autumn for Scotland and England, winter has arrived!
    Monday 5 December—Sunday 11 December
    Mainly cold and wintry with a brief mild interlude

Through much of the week, the combination of high pressure across lower latitudes of the North Atlantic and low pressure over Scandinavia will give rise to a cold northwesterly airstream across the UK. On Monday and Tuesday the strong northwesterly wind will bring plenty of wintry showers to Western Scotland, Northern Ireland and northwestern parts of England and Wales. Indeed these showers will fall as snow over higher ground, and we will see snow accumulations of several centimetres on hills. There will also be a covering of wet snow at low levels for some northwestern parts of the UK. Elsewhere though, conditions will be mostly dry and bright, although there will be more in the way of rain showers for the southwest of England and southwest Wales.

Through Wednesday, and particularly on Thursday, weather systems will sweep in from the west to bring more prolonged spells of rain to most parts, and temperatures will be briefly on the mild side for southern and central parts of the UK. Further to north, conditions will remain on the cold side, and Thursday's rainfall could well turn to snow for a time.

By Friday will see a return to the cold northwesterly winds as the active weather systems clear away into Eastern Europe, The onset of the northwesterly winds will bring further sleet and snow showers to northwestern parts.

By next weekend much of the UK should be dry, although it will remain cold with overnight frost and fog likely.
    Monday 12 December—Sunday 18 December
    Wet and windy in the northwest, settled elsewhere

There is likely to be a gradual return to unsettled weather in northwest parts of the British Isles during the period, with rain spreading in from the west, this possibly falling as snow on high ground. Southern and eastern areas are more likely to see a continuation of the mostly dry, settled conditions although it may remain cold with a risk of fog and frost. There may be gales at times, most likely in the north and west of the UK
    Monday 19 December—Sunday 25 December
    Staying unsettled moving into the festive season

The largely unsettled weather looks set to continue through to the New Year across northern parts of the UK, with strong winds and showers or longer spells of rain possible here, as well as further snow over higher ground. It will stay more settled over the south, but showers or outbreaks of rain are still possible here at times, as well as occasionally strong winds. Temperatures will be mostly around about average, although southern areas may be a little milder at times. However, cold nights are still to be expected across southern parts of the UK, with frost and fog developing.

Colder spells across northern parts of the UK are likely, which could possibly bring some snow down to lower levels here. That of course, begs the question, will there be a white Christmas for some?
    Next week

Will it be a white Christmas!?.........

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

AO index today is at record high,should cause the jet to do some strange things in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

mcriot29 wrote: »
    AO index today is at record high,should cause the jet to do some strange things in the next week or so.

Could you elaborate on this please mcriot29 :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mcriot29 wrote: »

Just posted some charts over on the FI thread , strange is rite , the mean line gone negative on the AO, but today does seem at a maximum high on the index, and the NAO looks likely to flip before the AO which I think should be sooner rather than later , before the end of the month anyway.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement