Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O2 - Free text to ANY network ANYtime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im with o2, on the speakeasy rate. I might change to 3 now. they do cheaper calls and texts are 5c to any network - text, mms and video. I have been buying 400 o2 texts approx every 1.33 months. so the 20 euro monthly top up wouldnt be good value for me as I text more than I call.

In general is 3 ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

GBX wrote: »
    Im with o2, on the speakeasy rate. I might change to 3 now. they do cheaper calls and texts are 5c to any network - text, mms and video. I have been buying 400 o2 texts approx every 1.33 months. so the 20 euro monthly top up wouldnt be good value for me as I text more than I call.

In general is 3 ok?

Um, if you text more than you call does it not make more sense to stay with o2 and have unlimited free text messages to all networks?? Yes, 3 do 5c texts to any network, but o2 are 0c to any network....

Regarding 3, do a search. There's plenty of topics here related to 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Lets the games begin............

Vodafone strike back against O2

Vodafone Ireland customers who top up their phone by EUR20 or more can get free calls and texts to other Vodafone subscribers for the following month from Monday onwards. The mobile operator's latest promotion is running until the end of April. It is open to all pre-pay subscribers, including those who are on the Vodafone Free Texts or Free Weekends for Life plans. Customers can register for the free calls and texts by sending a text message with the word "Free" to 50222.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

In response:

One of the highest cost per minute for calls - 49c per minutes - 150% more expensive that Meteor Anytime Plus

This priceplan is aimed at high text users. Ireland has the highest text sent per capita in the world. Obviously if you make many calls to other networks you should consider another plan or moving to billpay. I think the number one reason many people switched to Metoer was for free texts within that network. Free texts any network > then that.

They are still the only networks to charge you for your own voicemail - Free on Meteor Anytime Plus

How many voicemail does the average prepay user get in a week? I think the latest figure I read was .7. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's an irrelevant cost.

International texts are 25C per minte - 75% more expensive than Meteor Anytime Plus
    International calls are typically 150% more expensive than Meteor Anytime Plus.

You get 250 free webtext a month with O2 that you can send to anywhere in the world. With regards international calling if you take the top 2 countries called from Ireland due to foreign national presence namely Poland and China, O2 seem to offer a competitive deal. There is always international call cards available for the few people that would be calling countries outside of O2's "discounted" list.

Poland - Meteor 50c p/m
    O2 19c p/m

China - Meteor 50c p/m
    O2 5c p/m

Also when my O2 phone went faulty, I brought it back to the store and they swopped it out for another one there and then free of charge, I didn't have to wait for a repair or anything. For me with my high text usage - they're deffo the right network to be with at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jordainius wrote: »
    Um, if you text more than you call does it not make more sense to stay with o2 and have unlimited free text messages to all networks?? Yes, 3 do 5c texts to any network, but o2 are 0c to any network.....

but when you take video messages into the equation and those 49cent calls three are still far cheaper than o2

• Advertisement

squidgey wrote: »
    In response:

They are still the only networks to charge you for your own voicemail - Free on Meteor Anytime Plus

How many voicemail does the average prepay user get in a week? I think the latest figure I read was .7. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's an irrelevant cost.

International texts are 25C per minte - 75% more expensive than Meteor Anytime Plus
    International calls are typically 150% more expensive than Meteor Anytime Plus.

You get 250 free webtext a month with O2 that you can send to anywhere in the world. With regards international calling if you take the top 2 countries called from Ireland due to foreign national presence namely Poland and China, O2 seem to offer a competitive deal. There is always international call cards available for the few people that would be calling countries outside of O2's "discounted" list.

Poland - Meteor 50c p/m
    O2 19c p/m

China - Meteor 50c p/m
    O2 5c p/m

Also when my O2 phone went faulty, I brought it back to the store and they swopped it out for another one there and then free of charge, I didn't have to wait for a repair or anything. For me with my high text usage - they're deffo the right network to be with at the moment.

they also refuse to allow customers de-activate their voicemail!

web texts are only of use to people with access to a pc/laptop or people with aft's!

you need a seperate sim for those cheap international rates!

and that swop out service is not great you get a used fixed phone after one month instead of getting your own phone fixed and returned-what if the previous owner of the repaired swop out phone had T.B. or the plague??

all in o2 are still the most expensive networx across the range of mobile services!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Finally the penny dropped with me, saw all this on their website today. They had me tortured ringing me constantly about 6 weeks ago about changing to 02 freedom and I agreed mainly just to stop them calling me! They neglected to mention that they were completely stopping the nightowl and earlybird plans.... That's really annoying as my parents would be on nightowl and now they'll be pretty confused about the whole thing. They did keep it VERY quiet. Luckily most of my family and friends are on o2 so I'll be giving the Experience+free texts plan a shot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

cupthehand wrote: »

Vodafone Ireland customers who top up their phone by EUR20 or more can get free calls and texts to other Vodafone subscribers for the following month from Monday onwards. The mobile operator's latest promotion is running until the end of April. It is open to all pre-pay subscribers, including those who are on the Vodafone Free Texts or Free Weekends for Life plans. Customers can register for the free calls and texts by sending a text message with the word "Free" to 50222.

As with 99% of these offerings, they will constantly keep extending it as well. Not a bad offer at all. Wish this sorta stuff existed when I was in college back in the day - would have saved a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

cupthehand wrote: »

This is onnet Vodafone only. Text element of O2 Experience is ALL networks. Big difference.

Not true. Ring c.care ask and ask them to it. They can extend your ringtone indefinetly if you wish.

web texts are only of use to people with access to a pc/laptop or people with aft's!
    Ie - nearly everyone. Point is O2's webtext are to any mobile in the world, the other networks are only to Irish phones.

you need a seperate sim for those cheap international rates!
    Em.... No you don't. They are the automatic rates on all speakeasy sims.

and that swop out service is not great you get a used fixed phone after one month instead of getting your own phone fixed and returned-what if the previous owner of the repaired swop out phone had T.B. or the plague??

You have the option of a refurbished phone on the spot, or a repair on your original phone where you wait the required amount of waiting time. I chose the swop out. The phone I was given looked brand new, it's a whole new outer shell on the phone only the inside parts are recycled from the previous owner and it's working fine.

• Advertisement

missmatty wrote: »
    Finally the penny dropped with me, saw all this on their website today. They had me tortured ringing me constantly about 6 weeks ago about changing to 02 freedom and I agreed mainly just to stop them calling me! They neglected to mention that they were completely stopping the nightowl and earlybird plans.... That's really annoying as my parents would be on nightowl and now they'll be pretty confused about the whole thing. They did keep it VERY quiet. Luckily most of my family and friends are on o2 so I'll be giving the Experience+free texts plan a shot.....

You're parents phone stays on night own or early bird unless they change it. They can't force you to change your current priceplan. I reckon there are people who rarely text and will stay on NI or EB forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

True - I'm with the original Meteor priceplan (no longer available) and as long as I don't change it I get to reap its rewards every month :)

squidgey wrote: »
    Not true. Ring c.care ask and ask them to it. They can extend your ringtone indefinetly if you wish.

You have the option of a refurbished phone on the spot, or a repair on your original phone where you wait the required amount of waiting time. I chose the swop out. The phone I was given looked brand new, it's a whole new outer shell on the phone only the inside parts are recycled from the previous owner and it's working fine.

they will not de-activate voicemail for speakeasy customers! and those refurbished phones are just repaired phones! not with new covers if anything the card inside is new but the body of the phone is not!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they will not de-activate voicemail for speakeasy customers! and those refurbished phones are just repaired phones! not with new covers if anything the card inside is new but the body of the phone is not!

They did when I worked for them.

Dude - You cannot argue against the swop out service. An instantly repaired phone is much better then waiting a few days for your phone to be repaired. And even if you would prefer your original phone to be repaired then that is still an option. Other networks will only offer you a repair, O2 offer you the choice, a repair or a swop out - what are you suposed to do when your phone is away being repaired. A choice is better then no choice no matter how you look at it. The outside shell of these refurbished phones are new, and spotless. The phone looks brand new.

And you CAN deactivate your voicemail. You must ring c.care to do this, but it's a straight forward thing.

I think you are getting you're facts wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

slegs wrote: »
    This is onnet Vodafone only. Text element of O2 Experience is ALL networks. Big difference.

Tis a fairly substantial difference alright on the face of things. That is until you factor in the other call charges that are included in the O2 tariff that you must change too. Tis obviously perfect if you are a text but it would prob hit someone with an average usage profille for quite a few quid.

Either way, it's good to see that likes of Meteor being responsible for O2 and Vodafone having to come out and compete like they are. Will be interesting to see what Meteor do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pretty much everything you've complained about on this thread is incorrect, you can EASILY deactivate voicemail for prepay just ring customer care, i do it about 5 times a day for people,they simply remove a feature from your account and it deactivates your voicemail inbox, it only activates again if you ring 171 which automatically sets it up or you get a price plan changed as its a standard feature, just ask an agent to leave a note on the special instructions on your account and they'll remove it if you ever get another tariff change

what do think "refurbished" actually means? of course its a repaired phone, would you rather wait up to 2 weeks and pay to have something repaired and be without a phone in the meantime?

and you dont need a separate sim for international rates on prepay, you used to need a different tariff but that was done away with no they're standard rates to certain countries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they will deactivate voicemail and as people have said, you can have your phone sent away if you want. they have no obligation to give you a new phone if yours is faulty, all they have to do is send it away for repair, sometimes taking weeks. all the other shops do that but o2 will give you a phone that has been tested to the manufacturers specification on the spot. if you think its a rip off, don't use the service. send your phone away and wait weeks secure in the knowledge that you didn't get ripped off

you need to chill out foggy_lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

there have been somewhat similar posts in the past to which i feel i must highlight the fact that this is O2's (years belated) attempt to compete with meteor's sweet ass price plans. these companies use the main promotion as a loss leader and make all their money through other less highly advertised means i.e. considerably high call rates, paying for voicemail (it feels like O2 shagged your sister and keeps bringin' it back up every night your in the pub everytime it charges for the underestimated service of voicemail!). Why would meteor need to change a thing? it still works out cheaper for the general user. for 12 year old girls who do nothing but text on their phones i'm sure this promo may prove beneficial

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thats a fair point, i just get the impression that meteor are happy ruffling the big bird's feathers and finally getting seriously noticed. . .if they lose a sh*t load of customers then the marketing guys will be hopping with new promos

i don't understand why they're ending the offer in April. i was considering moving until i heard that. why would anyone go to the hassle of changing for an offer that ends in two months???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

Would it be that you are eligible to take up the offer for the next 2 months, rather than the offer lasting until then, maybe.

voyager

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

I switched over to O2 from Meteor because I use my phone almost exclusively for texting so it suits me down to the ground. Yesterday was my first day on O2 and I was happily texting away. Then today I checked my balance and it was gone down by €6. I'm just looking at their web-site now trying to find the small print before I ring customer support. They're probably going to tell me that it starts on Monday or something. I just find it petty and annoying. I'm sure the €6 would have been happier staying in my credit balance rather than in O2s massive vaults.

Edit: I've just called customer support and they said it can take up to 72 hours for the tariff to come into effect, although it should happen within 24 hours. Fair enough, but it's just something to be aware of too.

voyager wrote: »
    Would it be that you are eligible to take up the offer for the next 2 months, rather than the offer lasting until then, maybe.

voyager

maybe. hopefully

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

part of their advertising line is "free texts for life"

In referring to ‘Life’ in relation to the Free Text for Life promotion, Life means that customers who sign up for the Free Texts for Life offer during the promotional period may continue to avail of free texts whilst they remain an O2 Speak easy customer on the O2 Experience Price Plan. Customers who leave O2 or move to any other O2 tariff plan or promotion will not retain access to or avail of the Promotion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats one of the big pain in the asses with Vodafone. They always have good offers, but there offers are limited to within their network.

I love their Credit Me service - beats O2s hands down.
    seanabc wrote: »
    I switched over to O2 from Meteor because I use my phone almost exclusively for texting so it suits me down to the ground. Yesterday was my first day on O2 and I was happily texting away. Then today I checked my balance and it was gone down by €6. I'm just looking at their web-site now trying to find the small print before I ring customer support. They're probably going to tell me that it starts on Monday or something. I just find it petty and annoying. I'm sure the €6 would have been happier staying in my credit balance rather than in O2s massive vaults.

Edit: I've just called customer support and they said it can take up to 72 hours for the tariff to come into effect, although it should happen within 24 hours. Fair enough, but it's just something to be aware of too.

Iv had similar issues. Some tarrifs are instant while others can take 24hours. I assume its delayed due to the weekend or something. This new tarrif for me took a while to activate, but its all going okay now. I think if you ask to change the plan and top up by 20euro you should be sorted.
    davton wrote: »
    part of their advertising line is "free texts for life"

In referring to ‘Life’ in relation to the Free Text for Life promotion, Life means that customers who sign up for the Free Texts for Life offer during the promotional period may continue to avail of free texts whilst they remain an O2 Speak easy customer on the O2 Experience Price Plan. Customers who leave O2 or move to any other O2 tariff plan or promotion will not retain access to or avail of the Promotion.

Nice marketing plan. Grab em all now, and if they leave, they cant get back on the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If meteor started a free text to all networks just like O2's I am sure just loke O2 they would up their call charges for that plan (gotta make money somwhow :D)

Advertisement