Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on the creep back of paired marriages and mothers maiden names on births to date, I'd take a guess at another 18 months or so to get the rest done - the indices launched 2 years ago and they are more than half way back. Bigger population the further back you go, though (although they are already well in to the 32 county era)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

Speaking of transcriptions and the joys of OCR, here's my favourite census transcription: tick the 'Show all information' button to see Occupation

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Gloucester_Street__Lower/14867/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dos1965 wrote: »
    Speaking of transcriptions and the joys of OCR, here's my favourite census transcription: tick the 'Show all information' button to see Occupation

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Gloucester_Street__Lower/14867/

Fair few nuns did turn out to be monsters, but who's Lady Christy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

L1011 wrote: »
    Based on the creep back of paired marriages and mothers maiden names on births to date, I'd take a guess at another 18 months or so to get the rest done - the indices launched 2 years ago and they are more than half way back.

Perhaps they could upload them in 1/2/3 ect yearly batches - would avoid any server surges on a big day launch.

Perhaps they could upload them in 1/2/3 ect yearly batches - would avoid any server surges on a big day launch.

They have never announced the existing work (matching/maiden names) in the past, so I imagine the images will be the same - put up when done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Is the site down for anyone else?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yep, I was trying to view the Census and now I see it's all down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Good to know but please let's keep this thread for the GRO release.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Unfortunately they're all on the one platform so if one goes they all go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Good to know but please let's keep this thread for the GRO release.

I would think that the fact the GRO site is down is pretty relevant to the GRO release.

• Advertisement

I was talking about the census site being down, actually, but I see now irishgenealogy.ie is down too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's why I mentioned it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Just reviewing my wishlist of certs to get: almost all are within the unrestricted period so it is genealogical Christmas for me.

Considering running a pool on how quickly the site crashes though.

I had been hoping that this wouldn't turn out to be the case but the site is still down :(
    I managed to get a few missing dates/certs for my grandparents this morning, but the great-grandparent plan for this afternoon doesn't look like it will happen.

Considering this wasn't publicised as much as the census data I didn't expect that there would be a initial surge of users sufficient to take down the site.

It's back up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's back up

Shhhhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I've only researched in France on mainland Europe and in general (some Departements are not yet available) they are miles ahead of us, and progressing with more info all the time. The person I was researching was a soldier in Napoleon's army, I found BMD's online, free, also details on his pension application, wife, children, service locations, etc, all free. The Ministry of the Marine also has some of his service records (off-line).

It's actually staggering when one thinks that all those records came through the horrors of both sides during the Napoleonic Wars, various risings/revolutions, (e.g. les Trois Glorieuses, 1830 & 1848) the Franco-Prussion war, WW1 and WW2. We just had a bitty affair in 1922 and look what was done. :mad:

I had experience of just one French registration, the death of a teenager in a boarding school in Brittany, 1899. I wanted to know the cause of death, but this is not given on French death certs.

Other less important (from my point of view) details were given;
    the names and occupations of the two informants,and that the death took place at seven in the evening, and reported at seven the next morning.

The service was superb, email with image within the working day, and nice note. Of course it is a matter of luck, some other requests might be less well answered.

These are not the original records, they are the copies sent to Dublin.

Which is why in the signature box you will see "his / her mark", because the informant couldn't write, but in the other boxes, where you would expect a signature, all the writing is the same, as it was copied down by the register.

So, in the millions or records sent to Dublin, could there have been a few mistakes? A page missing here or there

The original registers are kept in local HSE custody, some Superintendent Registrars are helpful, some are not.

The copies are supposed to be the same as the originals, that is why the entry numbers in the local register are written into the copies bound into the GRO volume. Inevitably mistakes are made from time, to err is human.

In the early days, the copies would be made by the same person, the registrar, generally the dispensary doctor. Later on, clerical assistant registrars were more numerous, so more people were involved in making copies, more cases of inability to read the doctor's writing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

One mystery solved - if you can't find granny or grandad, just put in 'Unknown' with the surname. Dozens of kiddies born in the Rotunda and the Coombe were registered by the 'Occupier' of said hospital who couldn't be bothered to find out the first names of the infants and left the firstname column blank. They also filled in the names of the parents and addresses, so there may be errors there too. Drat you E. Anderson of the Rotunda...

KildareFan wrote: »
    One mystery solved - if you can't find granny or grandad, just put in 'Unknown' with the surname. Dozens of kiddies born in the Rotunda and the Coombe were registered by the 'Occupier' of said hospital who couldn't be bothered to find out the first names of the infants and left the firstname column blank. They also filled in the names of the parents and addresses, so there may be errors there too. Drat you E. Anderson of the Rotunda...

It was not just the institutions who were indifferent about children's christian names.
    Look at Dr Brassington in Rathmines in the early days (1864). He only recorded half the children's names, and none of them were registered by institutions.

Anyone noticing a lot of 1940 marriage are missing images, with the following message:

Athlone 1940 search

example
    There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image.

Photocopies or official certificates can be obtained via the following link.

If you have any further queries you can contact the General Register Office at gro@groireland.ie.

As far as I can see it's only 1940, which is within the 75 year limit.

• Advertisement

Just found a marriage for someone I didn't know got married. Indisputable too, based on the witnesses.

This is going to be the long term joy of these registers: random discoveries made by putting in family surnames and trawling.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

Have come across a record with no image attached. Am I correct in thinging that if a GRID is included in the search result, an 'Image' should be attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I found an 1890 birth with GRID number and no image. I reported it. We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Boscod wrote:
    Have come across a record with no image attached. Am I correct in thinging that if a GRID is included in the search result, an 'Image' should be attached?

I have found a lot of Galway records with no image. On a positive note I have finally found a death certificate for my great grandmother!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

The online images from the GRO have been great so far and has allowed me piece together many missing pieces of the tree that would have otherwise taken me far longer and with great expense.

Two questions for those in the know ,

1.I read in the thread that these are not the original records, they are the copies sent to Dublin. Does that mean originals reside somewhere for instance can I get an original that would have my ancestors real signature on it ? From a church perhaps?

2. A death in 1967 would answer a question or two of mine but obviously I'll have to wait till next year or do they release these a little earlier or is it 1 Jan 2017 that I'll see this ?

Thanks

When I click to view the image for Catherine Coulter who died 1898 in Dublin SOuth I get an image for Dundalk deaths.
    Is there a way of navigating to the correct image?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Trizo wrote: »
    The online images from the GRO have been great so far and has allowed me piece together many missing pieces of the tree that would have otherwise taken me far longer and with great expense.

Two questions for those in the know ,

1.I read in the thread that these are not the original records, they are the copies sent to Dublin. Does that mean originals reside somewhere for instance can I get an original that would have my ancestors real signature on it ? From a church perhaps?

2. A death in 1967 would answer a question or two of mine but obviously I'll have to wait till next year or do they release these a little earlier or is it 1 Jan 2017 that I'll see this ?

Thanks

1. To answer this, you must understand that each registration district had sub divisions and each sub-division maintained its own records. Periodically, the sub-division would send its records to the HQ of the RD and they in turn would send them to the overall HQ. I have never heard of the original copies being made available, and the original copy that your ancestors signed would have been given to them to take away, with an exact copy of the details entered into the register. For more info, read the small book on civil records by Steven Smyrl & Eileen O'Duill.

2. You can just go the GRO in Werburgh St (or order by fax/post from Roscommon) and get a copy of that 1967 death. You'll have to check the indexes for the year first to get the references, as nowhere online has 1967 yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Haven't discovered a way to navigate, Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

A shame the pdf's aren't done the same way as the church records at the same site where you have the facility to turn a page so to speak.

Actually it's a complete mystery to me the difference between searching the two sets of records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

John Grenham's blog this morning has a good summary of the GRO actually

https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2016/09/12/welcome-to-the-promised-land/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement