Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commonly believed historical inaccuracies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone taking part in the 1916 rising was fired from the Guinness brewery and reported to the ric

May be true..

'
    Following the 1916 Rising, Guinness's was one of a number of companies which dismissed staff suspected of involvement in the rebellion or sympathetic to those who took part.
    In a statement to the Bureau of Military History, Robert Holland, a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood who fought with the Irish Volunteers in 1916 described the dismissals as “a form of censure for their disloyalty to His Majesty . '

.https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/23408 and

https://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/dublin-man-samuel-geoghegan-guinness-brewery-engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

coco0981 wrote: »
    I think most the problem there is that the Irish were almost exclusively indentured servants. To us, this seems akin to slavery
    But when compared to chattel slavery that Africans endured in America there is a difference

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/irish-slaves-early-america/

What's True
    Like impoverished people of other nationalities, many emigrated from Ireland to the Americas in the 17th and 18th centuries as indentured servants; a smaller number were forcibly banished into indentured servitude during the period of the English Civil Wars; indentured servants often lived and worked under harsh conditions and were sometimes treated cruelly.

What's False
    Unlike institutionalized chattel slavery, indentured servitude was neither hereditary nor lifelong; unlike black slaves, white indentured servants had legal rights; unlike black slaves, indentured servants weren't considered property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Scopes is not exactly a history site but one that has its own political leaning, so that source I'd take with a pinch of salt. Historically there is no gold-standard definiton of slavery across multiple societies and ages, beyond the compulsion for one party to forceibly work for another. There are, taking the Classicial era as an example, work ranging from teaching, policing, to mining, galley-slaves. Each of these had a variety of legal rights associated with the owner/slave depending on the jurisprudence of the time.

So, Irish being described as de facto slaves during the colonial era in the Carribean is not a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Manach wrote: »
    Scopes is not exactly a history site but one that has its own political leaning, so that source I'd take with a pinch of salt. Historically there is no gold-standard definiton of slavery across multiple societies and ages, beyond the compulsion for one party to forceibly work for another. There are, taking the Classicial era as an example, work ranging from teaching, policing, to mining, galley-slaves. Each of these had a variety of legal rights associated with the owner/slave depending on the jurisprudence of the time.

So, Irish being described as de facto slaves during the colonial era in the Carribean is not a stretch.

No it is not a stretch. But it's also totally legitimate to point out that there was still a vast difference between de facto slavery in the form in indentured servitude, and hereditary chattel slavery

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

A common American misconception, that WW2 started in 1941.

That's also a common Russian misconception - which is even weirder than any American misconception - since the Soviet Union had also been invading and occupying half a dozen of it European neighbours since September 1939.

• Advertisement

In spite of several memorials and at least one popular song, you would be lead to believe Ireland had more sympathy for the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War but the reverse was actually true at the time.
    Many more Irishmen were prepared to fight for Franco than for the Republicans but that uncomfortable fact is largely forgotten today.

Franco was for God and the church, the other side had commies and atheists.

Couldn't be siding with that lot now!

Scopes is not exactly a history site

Does that matter? We were asked to provide sources instead of opinions.

but one that has its own political leaning, so that source I'd take with a pinch of salt.

And what political leaning would that be? Or is it just your opinion?

There are none too savory sites with definite agendas that push "Irish as (white) slaves" as unvarnished fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Fritzbox wrote: »
    That's also a common Russian misconception - which is even weirder than any American misconception - since the Soviet Union had also been invading and occupying half a dozen of it European neighbours since September 1939.

Actually never heard that, and it is strange since WW2 is known to have started on 1st September 1939 when Hitler invaded Poland, but given that talks had already taken place between Russia and Germany about carving up surrounding countries and Stalin then invaded Poland on 17th September himself, all widely known, I thought.

Does that matter? We were asked to provide sources instead of opinions.

And what political leaning would that be? Or is it just your opinion?

There are none too savory sites with definite agendas that push "Irish as (white) slaves" as unvarnished fact.

My opinion it that your ideological bent is quite clear in minimising the historical accuracy and traditional of Irish servative in the Carabiean with the wider context of the global history of slavery. Relying on a gatekeeping strategy to suggest that there is an issue with this is more suitable for After Hours than history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's also loaded with a bit of unsavoury meaning as i'd never really heard this argument till the BLM movement took off, and it was definitely being used by many parties to diminish the issue of the slave trade.

• Advertisement

My opinion it that your ideological bent is quite clear in minimising the historical accuracy and traditional of Irish servative in the Carabiean with the wider context of the global history of slavery. Relying on a gatekeeping strategy to suggest that there is an issue with this is more suitable for After Hours than history.

Their fact checking appeared quite reasoned. It's not as if they were minimising or dismissing anything.

To compare the Irish with the African American experience, the industrial levels of slavery, and say they're kind of the same thing that they're even in the same ball park, which I might add the ramifications of which are still very much with us in the 21st century, is disingenuous at best.
    I hate to use the word privilege as it's been bandied around by media, but we Irish have been privileged for quite some time now and have nothing placed in the way of furthering ourselves either at home or abroad.

Unless somebody can prove it, I have yet to see any evidence jimi Hendrix said Rory Gallagher is the best guitarist in the world

Granted, I'm not Jimi Hendrix, his biographer or someone who even existed at the same time as Jimi, but I've always doubted this quote. However, many have tried to confirm or debunk it but it just hasn't been done yet. Allegedly, Hendrix said it to a reporter after coming off-stage from a performance at the Isle of Wight festival, a performance Jimi wasn't happy with himself about. In that frame of mind, in that context and the impulsive moment, I could see that line coming from Jimi. Rory was extremely highly rated by his contemporaries during his day. Jimi could be quite humble for his enormous talent.

TLDR - I myself have doubted it, but there is enough out there for it not to totally be dismissed as a myth or inaccuracy. Here is an inaccuracy from musical history though..

John Lennon never actually said the famous quote "Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the world… Let’s face it, he wasn’t even the best drummer in The Beatles" which has long been attributed to Lennon.

Here is an interesting piece about it: https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/beatles/did-john-lennon-say-ringo-wasnt-even-best-drummer/

Spoiler/save you a click -
    It was Jaspar Carrot

Thankfully as a historian, I can instead rely on the historical national narrative going back since the 19th centiury that has described the Irish experience in the Carribean in terms of slavery after their deporation from Ireland. Your take on slavery is not seemly informed by such historcal study both in terms of a knowledge of Ireland in the 17thC nor the wider issue of the slavery (in terms of trade and the various types thereof) from Classical times to that of Africa and the various forms present on that continent. You are of course free to disagree with me, but considering one of the element of any argument is ethos, I'll rest my case.

I will now step out of this conversation has it gone off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Vologda69

That Queen Victoria gave only £5 in Famine Relief in the 1840s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Vologda69 wrote: »
    That Queen Victoria gave only £5 in Famine Relief in the 1840s.

Excusable, they rarely carry purses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

To be honest, I think it is. While it might be true that there's a continuum of unfree labour, and exactly where we start to employ the term "slave" on that continuum can be a grey area, it's also true that in that colonial society, and at that time, indentured servants had a signficantly different, and markedly higher, social and legal status than the actual slaves who worked alongside and under them. They couldn't be bought and sold. Their children were not born into slavery or servitude. They could marry who they chose. They served for a limited time, and were entitled to payment. They had at least theorerical access to the courts to vindicate their rights. Etc. etc.

Not to deny that their treatment was horrifying, but equating them with the chattel slaves that were found in that same society at the same time is simply wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

One that pops up a lot, that Ireland didn't get anything from the Marshall Plan due to our neutrality

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I often hear the narrative that the Irish that emigrated to the USA were a charitable bunch with the odd outlaw and some understandibly troubled/traumatized people.

It was a surprise to me to hear Floyd Westerman say that "nobody killed more Native Americans than the Irish", because we signed up with the Union forces.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6RLXQyGIw (starts at 4:06)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Peregrinus wrote: »
    To be honest, I think it is. While it might be true that there's a continuum of unfree labour, and exactly where we start to employ the term "slave" on that continuum can be a grey area, it's also true that in that colonial society, and at that time, indentured servants had a signficantly different, and markedly higher, social and legal status than the actual slaves who worked alongside and under them. They couldn't be bought and sold. Their children were not born into slavery or servitude. They could marry who they chose. They served for a limited time, and were entitled to payment. They had at least theorerical access to the courts to vindicate their rights. Etc. etc.

Not to deny that their treatment was horrifying, but equating them with the chattel slaves that were found in that same society at the same time is simply wrong.

There seems to be several propositions:

i) Irish were transported to the Caribbean as slaves, and were treated as bad or even worse treated than African slaves
    ii) Irish were transported to the Caribbean as slaves, and may at times been as badly as or worse treated than African slaves

and this has prompted two main responses:

i) There is a difference between indentured servants and chattel slaves.
    ii) Irish in the Caribbean were not slaves because they were indentured servants, rather chattel slaves.
    iii) calling Irish slaves is equating their treatment with the experiences of African slaves

My thoughts on propositions
    I am not sure anyone is really advocating proposition i) but it could be said to be implied in some online graphics of slaves. Such graphics or memes are pretty obscure but Liam Hogan has drawn attention to them. However proposition ii) seems to be common and I get the sense it is is what Sean O'Callaghan was arguing in 'To Hell or to Barbados'.

My thoughts on response
    Response i) is valid and useful. Although response ii) seems to be largely true, it is a bit misleading because if we wholeheartedly going to accept this argument than we must be against groups like Trocaire and Concern holding campaigns against 'modern-day slavery'. Understanding the distinction between bonded labour and chattel slavery is useful but I would argue that the word slavery has always been a synonym of bonded labour. Response iii) is not valid. There are many examples of chattel slavery and some chattel slavery was pretty comfortable. Chattel slavery was commonplace in Classical Rome but we know in some situations in Rome slaves received excellent treatment and even became very wealthy but no one makes that argument here. Likewise in the post Columbian Americas, indigenous Americans received poor treatment by invading colonialists and we often call it slavery but legally they were more akin to European peasants than chattel slaves. However it is not too often you hear of the 'Indian slave myth' like you the idea of an 'Irish slave myth'. I feel that the fact that the idea that there is an 'Irish slave myth' has gone viral is really contemporary US anxieties than disparate socioeconomic outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

There seems to be several propositions:.......My thoughts on propositions..............
    Whatever about your thoughts, you seem to have ignored the definition of slavery and the difference between it and indentured service. Consider for example the difference between ‘indentured service’ in the Colonies and the ‘rules of apprenticeship’ that lasted in Ireland up to the late 1800’s. Or look at the rules of employment for domestic and farmhand staff in Ireland during the same era. Indentured servants had more rights than many peasants in France (up to the Revolution) and Serfs in Russia (up to the mid-1800’s)
    In the early 1700’s Fr. Cornelius Nary (notoriously contoversial) put the number of Irish people transported to the Caribbean as 10-15,000 and used the term ‘slavery’. Later the United Irishmen, to drum up Nationalistic fervor, repeated the term ‘slavery’ and increased the number to ‘tens of thousands’. By 1900 Thomas Addis Emmett, in ‘having a go’ at the Brits, had the number up to 100,000. James Connolly in c1915 then increased the number to more than 100,000 ‘men women and children were sold into slavery’.
    There is no doubt that Irish people were shipped out after the Cromwellian wars but it was as indentured servants, in low numbers and mainly orphaned children, particularly from the West Coast. Most of the claims circulating today are unhistorical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Mick Tator wrote: »
    Whatever about your thoughts, you seem to have ignored the definition of slavery and the difference between it and indentured service. Consider for example the difference between ‘indentured service’ in the Colonies and the ‘rules of apprenticeship’ that lasted in Ireland up to the late 1800’s. Or look at the rules of employment for domestic and farmhand staff in Ireland during the same era. Indentured servants had more rights than many peasants in France (up to the Revolution) and Serfs in Russia (up to the mid-1800’s)
    In the early 1700’s Fr. Cornelius Nary (notoriously contoversial) put the number of Irish people transported to the Caribbean as 10-15,000 and used the term ‘slavery’. Later the United Irishmen, to drum up Nationalistic fervor, repeated the term ‘slavery’ and increased the number to ‘tens of thousands’. By 1900 Thomas Addis Emmett, in ‘having a go’ at the Brits, had the number up to 100,000. James Connolly in c1915 then increased the number to more than 100,000 ‘men women and children were sold into slavery’.
    There is no doubt that Irish people were shipped out after the Cromwellian wars but it was as indentured servants, in low numbers and mainly orphaned children, particularly from the West Coast. Most of the claims circulating today are unhistorical.

The point I was making no one makes this point when talking about Native Americans unfree labour or modern day bonded labour which both are not chattel slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

tabbey wrote: »
    A lot of such quotes were actually from O'Connell, "to hell or to Connaught " being another.
    Well there is documentary evidence that O'Connell did indeed say of the Duke of Wellington "being born in a stable does not make a man a horse". You can find it here. You need to jump to page 93.

As for the "To hell or to Connacht", was that him as well? Evidence?

Unless somebody can prove it, I have yet to see any evidence jimi Hendrix said Rory Gallagher is the best guitarist in the world

I'd like to believe this one but I find it extremely difficult to do so. Hendrix died in 1970. Gallagher hadn't even begun his solo career by then. He was still in Taste, which was a support band at best. Don't think Gallagher's international reputation took off until the early 1970s, ie after Hendrix's death.

coco0981 wrote: »
    I think most the problem there is that the Irish were almost exclusively indentured servants. To us, this seems akin to slavery
    But when compared to chattel slavery that Africans endured in America there is a difference

I'm not saying you're wrong but I think there are two different phenomena here. The claims of Irish being sent to "The Americas" as slaves originate from the Cromwellian period when dispossession of Catholic Estates (they were offered the choice of "Hell or Connaught" (or maybe not :) ) resulted in many people being forcibly sent to the British territories of the Caribbean rather than America itself. Barbados and Montserrat were popular destinations.

Now it is very likely that once there they were promoted in the pecking order to be overseers to the black slaves brought from Africa, but however you may regard their status as being different to the African slaves they were not, by any common understanding, indentured servants.

I believe that indentured servitude was common in the 18th century when many Irish left for what is now the US. But these people were mainly disaffected Irish protestants, presbyterians of mostly Scottish origin who were not quite members of the Ascendancy (for which one had to be an Anglican/Episcopalian) but still a cut above the majority Catholic population.

Not being wealthy they needed a funding mechanism to make the journey and so indentured servitude was widely used. These people became the "Scotch Irish" of the deep south, the soul of the Bible Belt and the heart of the Confederate Army.

It wasn't until the 19th century that large numbers (OK very large numbers) of Catholic Irish made the journey over. And many of them would have been indentured servants too.

I think though, the description of those deported to the Carribean in the 17th century as "indentured servants" is false.

Their fact checking appeared quite reasoned. It's not as if they were minimising or dismissing anything.

To compare the Irish with the African American experience, the industrial levels of slavery, and say they're kind of the same thing that they're even in the same ball park, which I might add the ramifications of which are still very much with us in the 21st century, is disingenuous at best.
    I hate to use the word privilege as it's been bandied around by media, but we Irish have been privileged for quite some time now and have nothing placed in the way of furthering ourselves either at home or abroad.

The discussion is about the usefulness of the term slavery. Since the people saying that the Irish weren’t enslaved then need to use a qualifier (ie chattel slavery) they are admitting there are other kinds. And indentured servants doesn’t cut it. Here is the wiki definition.

Indentured servitude is a form of labor, sometimes involuntary, in which a person who took out a loan (an indenture) agrees to work without salary for the lender for a specific number of years.

If there’s no loan where’s the indenture.

Two things can be true at once:

Chattel Slavery is worse than other kinds of slavery.
    There are other kinds of slavery.

Deporting people and forcing them to work for life would certainly satisfy modern definitions of slavery. Or indeed ancient definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Edgware wrote: »
    That the first shots of the War of Independence was fired at Soloheadbeg

Where, then?

I often hear the narrative that the Irish that emigrated to the USA were a charitable bunch with the odd outlaw and some understandibly troubled/traumatized people.

It was a surprise to me to hear Floyd Westerman say that "nobody killed more Native Americans than the Irish", because we signed up with the Union forces.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6RLXQyGIw (starts at 4:06)

I’d take with a pinch of salt as well. Where’s the evidence that the Irish in America signed up for union forces disproportionately? Were the majority in fact? Or the plurality.

John Ford might have thought that in his movies but given what I know about Irish migration it was really to the cities. It’s hard to find stats specifically though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

banie01 wrote: »
    A common European one is that it started in 1939.
    Most east Asians would give 1937.

Technically the Japanese invasion of China from the Mukden incident until Pearl Harbour is the Second Sino-Japanese war.

They weren't shy about joining the 'world' conflict after that, going after European and American interests in the Asia-Pacific (Malaya, Burma, Singapore, Philippines, Dutch East Indies). That's when most would argue they went 'world'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

Biggest one promoted by the Irish and British media in recent times :

Irish WW1 veterans were mistreated on return

In reality, most voted for SF and voted for freedom, the British government refused to treat Irish volunteers equally in terms of rank in the trenches and executed much higher numbers.

Best IRA fighters were in the British army

They were lied to regarding home rule and humiliated by fighting for Britain

It was the FF and the deValera government who had to pay the pensions of the WW1 veterans, as the British would not

Secondly, myth WW1 had anything to do with Prussian militarism or Belgian freedom

Thirdly, that Irish who fought for Britain in the second world war were targeted as traitors :

1) Britain had plans to invade Ireland in 1940 and set up a British dictator to rule - like Germany in Poland

2) The Irish who deserted the Irish defence forces to the British army, usually due to pay, were deliberately treated leniently.

They had a tokenistic temporary blacklisting from the civil service

Other countries executed deserters (especially if they joined an enemy)

They deserted their posts - a hanging offence in the military - those who joined directly to the British army were never touched - media like to imply this

The British who perpetuated this myth actually arrested people up until the 1970s for desertion, even if desertion was to the US army (as they got paid more)

3) Interestingly, Churchill spread a lie that German navy were refuelling on the west coast in Ireland since 1914, it was pointed out to him that that area was under British occupation then, so was not actually possible - man was a clown

This has been spread more recently online by the White supremacist site Stormfront

In the 80's, Eugene Lambert from RTE's Wanderly Wagon.
    Was arrested by the British as a deserter from their Army during WW2.
    The misunderstanding was cleared up in a few days.

• Advertisement

Mick Tator wrote: »

When you consider that the Jeannie Jonston carried 254 passengers at most and a typical voyage took 47 days, it must have either been a very very large fleet, taken a long time to transport these 100,000 people!

Advertisement