Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GFS scenario of earlier is what would happen if this winter was not one big tease, but of course that will fall into line soon enough. I started to lose interest in this event after I read the Met Eireann forecast this morning. Unfortunately at this stage, it's very rare to see upgrades once it starts going wrong. No doubt some people will see a good few hours of snow on Thursday, but for me snow that is then quickly washed away is rather pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The GFS scenario of earlier is what would happen if this winter was not one big tease, but of course that will fall into line soon enough. I started to lose interest in this event after I read the Met Eireann forecast this morning. Unfortunately at this stage, it's very rare to see upgrades once it starts going wrong. No doubt some people will see a good few hours of snow on Thursday, but for me snow that is then quickly washed away is rather pointless.

Most models show the cold continuing to Sunday. That’s what the BBC forecast said too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I'm very confused here, a lot of the regular good posters saying it looks like the cold spell will last through the weekend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cw85 wrote: »
    I'm very confused here, a lot of the regular good posters saying it looks like the cold spell will last through the weekend?

The models differ as to what will happen. I am sure one of them will be right (or be more right) than others....that's the only thing we can be sure of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cw85 wrote: »

Nacho is further west the front seems like it will dump most snow further east.

I would be more upbeat about Thursday as both the GFS and ECM show a good few hours of snow here (Wexford)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Cork missing out?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Cork missing out?

Well, you may get a few hours of snow there before it turns to rain- especially the further north you are, but the closer you are to the coast the greater the risk of it being just rain or sleet from the get go.

Nacho is further west the front seems like it will dump most snow further east.

I would be more upbeat about Thursday as both the GFS and ECM show a good few hours of snow here (Wexford)
    Yes it looks good for you. I have a friend in Wexford who does not like snow. I know, i should unfriend him for this insolence:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If I were a betting man I would be putting money on that front stalling a bit further west than is currently being progged. Its parent low out south of Greenland shows signs that it will probably retreat westwards slightly more, with flow becoming more aligned along the front earlier, causing it to stall. Frontal dynamic parameters from today's 12Z GFS suggest the frontal gradient will be diminishing, hence reducing precipitation on Thursday evening (see Q-vector div. charts for 00Z and 12Z runs below).

Ahead of that front, heights are pumped northwards over us and help set up a southern Scandi high for the weekend, which should keep the colder air further west for then. I think one or two more opportunities over the weekend could turn out to be a little more potent for precipitation, though exactly how snowy it will be remains to be seen, given the fact that we'll be in more of a stagnating airmass by then.

542600.gif

542601.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a risk of multiple snow events for some.

ECM has no less than 3 potential "events" between Thursday and Monday particularly in the eastern half of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

If I were a betting man I would be putting money on that front stalling a bit further west than is currently being progged. Its parent low out south of Greenland shows signs that it will probably retreat westwards slightly more, with flow becoming more aligned along the front earlier, causing it to stall. Frontal dynamic parameters from today's 12Z GFS suggest the frontal gradient will be diminishing, hence reducing precipitation on Thursday evening (see Q-vector div. charts for 00Z and 12Z runs below).

Ahead of that front, heights are pumped northwards over us and help set up a southern Scandi high for the weekend, which should keep the colder air further west for then. I think one or two more opportunities over the weekend could turn out to be a little more potent for precipitation, though exactly how snowy it will be remains to be seen, given the fact that we'll be in more of a stagnating airmass by then.

542600.gif

542601.gif

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong

Cork Airport is getting in on the snow depth reports, with <0.5 cm reported in the last couple of hours.

Still snowing hard in southeastern England, with 26 cm now at Andrewsfield (87 m amsl) from that frontal event.

542604.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Well, you may get a few hours of snow there before it turns to rain- especially the further north you are, but the closer you are to the coast the greater the risk of it being just rain or sleet from the get go.

Near Mallow, not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yes it looks good for you. I have a friend in Wexford who does not like snow. I know, i should unfriend him for this insolence:pac:

Blasphemy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is a risk of multiple snow events for some.

ECM has no less than 3 potential "events" between Thursday and Monday particularly in the eastern half of the country.

Just took a look at the latest ECM snow charts, unfortunately I cannot post them here, so I'll leave a link instead and everyone can look for themselves.

Shows snow cover through much of the country from Thursday to the following Thursday. I think it's a bit of a stretch that the ECM is showing snow cover for at least a week but that's what it is showing this evening.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210217-0600z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

As this poster said. Cork is just too big a county to say. It obviously is more likely to be rain all along the coast but as it meets the colder air and higher altitudes 50 to 60 miles inland for example ballydesmond charleville and mitchesltown the chances are much greater. So to summarise the further north in the county you are the better.
    In relation to shower activity though for the next day or 2 the opposite would apply if you get me.
    Hope that clears things up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pattern over the last few days. Note how the air mass streaming out of southern Norway is consistently diluted as it crosses over the North Sea:

LPsos3m.gif

Currently hovering just above freezing here. Doesn't really matter how you dress it up, but this is a woeful temperature for a winter easterly.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Pattern over the last few days. Note how the air mass streaming out of southern Norway is consistently diluted as it crosses over the North Sea:

LPsos3m.gif

Currently hovering just above freezing here. Doesn't really matter how you dress it up, but this is a woeful temperature for a winter easterly.

Not all easterlies are going to hit the sweet spot.

Nice animation. We (especially you) were always going to be on the extreme periphery of the coldest air. Last in the soup queue, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOBMFznkto

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Not all easterlies are going to hit the sweet spot.

This easterly is close to a bust. We've seen colder temperatures and better snow showers from the Atlantic and that's saying something.

We still have Thursday to Sunday to hopefully deliver something of note.

• Advertisement

Periphery or not, these temperatures are extremely poor.

New Moon

It's a timely reminder that easterlies often times are not what they are cracked up to be either. They are very much hit and miss, just like Northerlies.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Just took a look at the latest ECM snow charts, unfortunately I cannot post them here, so I'll leave a link instead and everyone can look for themselves.

Shows snow cover through much of the country from Thursday to the following Thursday. I think it's a bit of a stretch that the ECM is showing snow cover for at least a week but that's what it is showing this evening.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210217-0600z.html

I'll believe that chart when i see it!

It's a timely reminder that easterlies often times are not what they are cracked up to be either. They are very much hit and miss, just like Northerlies.

If there is one benefit to this easterly, it is how dry it is. Nearly blinded by the roads around around the streets here, they look almost white with dryness. Something that has not been seen since about October. Badly needed, yet, I still don't recall any heavy rain this year, just miserable light cold crap pretty much 80% of the time.

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    This easterly is close to a bust. We've seen colder temperatures and better snow showers from the Atlantic and that's saying something.

We still have Thursday to Sunday to hopefully deliver something of note.

Just to add, if Thursday to Sunday does not deliver, it will prove that this winter has been one big tease. I know i come across as negative, but it's only because this winter could have been a classic one in terms of snowfall and cold with the nh profile we've have since late December, yet it has led to poor surface conditions overall. The real kicker is that in some winters, where we have endured our default winter pattern, we've actually had more snowfall than we've had so far this winter.

The only issue I have is the wind and cloud. It’s quite difficult to sustain subzero temps in sunshine without snow cover.

Here today we struggled to get above 2c despite the sunshine, I think that is relatively cold. Yes the minimums could be better, that is down to the wind rather than the airmass intensity.

An easterly, however, is never going to meet the standards of a good northerly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Starting to look incredible for the East Thursday to Sunday
    Heavy snow almost a certain red warning for the East and Northeast
    Those who are saying this Easterly is a sham compared to years gone by. Em sorry I've lived through them and if the snow delivers this weekend it will be on the top 5 over the last 40 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If there is one benefit to this easterly, it is how dry it is. Nearly blinded by the roads around around the streets here, they look almost white with dryness. Something that has not been seen since about October. Badly needed, yet, I still don't recall any heavy rain this year, just miserable light cold crap pretty much 80% of the time.

I said the same yesterday. This dry period was needed. We were approaching median flood levels.

He is the station at Dangan. The water levels have already fallen significantly since the 4th Jan.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Those who are saying this Easterly is a sham compared to years gone by. Em sorry I've lived through them and if the snow delivers this weekend it will be on the top 5 over the last 40 years!!

Well the snow is very localised. A good system would deliver widespread snow, or provide plenty of opportunities for deep snow.

This one is just rather dry.

• Advertisement

If is the keyword. Also be careful JS, everytime you ramp it usually all goes to pot:p

Advertisement