Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-05-2020, 20:31   #256
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batrachotox View Post
Tracy Borman has one on Henry VIII himself, might be a good place to start. I believe she also has an upcoming book covering all the Tudors.
I bought on specifically about Henry VII Thomas Penn. I prefer to read reign by reign but it might come to that. Most of the Henry VIII books tend to focus on his wives but the Borman book looks like the best option at least until Waterstone's reopens and I might see something on paperback.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
Advertisement
22-07-2020, 23:06   #257
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
This one's a recommendation I think.

I'm going to read Penn's Yorkist book next and his biography of Henry Tudor.

Has anyone here read anything good about Henry VIII? There's a few books focusing on his wives and one by Alison Weir who's not a historian.
Both of Penn's books are must reads IMO, especially The Brothers York. Winter King is a much less fluid read as it handles much less compelling subject matter but Henry VII is a unique character among England's monarchs.

Leaning towards Borman's Henry VIII book. Most of them are concerned with the wives which is irritating. I'm just after a solid narrative biography.

Has anyone read anything good about Elizabeth I?
ancapailldorcha is online now  
20-11-2020, 21:15   #258
silliussoddius
Registered User
 
silliussoddius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 449
Any recommendations about the crusades?
silliussoddius is offline  
20-11-2020, 21:20   #259
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by silliussoddius View Post
Any recommendations about the crusades?
Yep:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZD19...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

It's masterful. I can't imagine there being a better book available.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
Thanks from:
20-11-2020, 21:26   #260
Thesiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by silliussoddius View Post
Any recommendations about the crusades?
I’ve read Christopher Tyerman’s “God’s War” which is excellent but massive and insanely detailed.
Thesiger is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 21:32   #261
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Dan Jones also has a recent book on the subject:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crusaders-D...G8Y3EQ11XCM7RK

The Asbridge book I linked to above really was a phenomenal overview. A friend is reading and enjoying the Jones book but I really do think the Asbridge one is the one to go for.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
Thanks from:
20-11-2020, 22:00   #262
mustang shelly
Registered User
 
mustang shelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
Dan Jones also has a recent book on the subject:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crusaders-D...G8Y3EQ11XCM7RK

The Asbridge book I linked to above really was a phenomenal overview. A friend is reading and enjoying the Jones book but I really do think the Asbridge one is the one to go for.
I would also look at The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors also by Dan Jones. I read it during the summer and found it very interesting and insightful.
mustang shelly is offline  
(2) thanks from:
20-11-2020, 22:01   #263
silliussoddius
Registered User
 
silliussoddius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang shelly View Post
I would also look at The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors also by Dan Jones. I read it during the summer and found it very interesting and insightful.
Thanks, everyone. I've read a couple of Jones' books in the past and found them accesable, I might give his a shot.
silliussoddius is offline  
20-11-2020, 22:01   #264
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang shelly View Post
I would also look at The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors also by Dan Jones. I read it during the summer and found it very interesting and insightful.
It's on my list. If you enjoyed it I might bump it up as they feature in the Crusades but their end isn't something I know a great deal about.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
Advertisement
20-11-2020, 22:23   #265
Thesiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 334
The classic work on the Crusades is Steven Runciman’s 3 volume history. Haven’t read it but it is said to be a great work of literature, but a bit outdated in terms of scholarship on the topic.

Apart from those mentioned above, look for works by Jonathan Riley-Smith and Jonathan Philips.

Also Amin Maalouf’s “The Crusades Through Arab Eyes.”
Thesiger is offline  
11-03-2021, 00:29   #266
bobbyss
Registered User
 
bobbyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,561
Has anybody read Anne Chambers' Grace O'Malley book?
I tried but just could not get past the first few pages with unrecognizable and unpronucable names. I thought the writer should be aware of how off putting this might be. Surely there's a story to be told? I just wonder if anyone has read this book and their thoughts. Any orher books on her?
bobbyss is offline  
11-03-2021, 16:45   #267
dubhthach
Registered User
 
dubhthach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
Has anybody read Anne Chambers' Grace O'Malley book?
I tried but just could not get past the first few pages with unrecognizable and unpronucable names. I thought the writer should be aware of how off putting this might be. Surely there's a story to be told? I just wonder if anyone has read this book and their thoughts. Any orher books on her?
Having names in the Irish language are off-putting and unpronounceable? jaysuz someone needs to park their colonial mentality. Good luck reading anything on medieval Irish history with that attitude.
dubhthach is offline  
11-03-2021, 19:52   #268
bobbyss
Registered User
 
bobbyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach
Having names in the Irish language are off-putting and unpronounceable? jaysuz someone needs to park their colonial mentality. Good luck reading anything on medieval Irish history with that attitude.
I just want feedback on what people thought of the book.
If you read the book, what did you think of it?
bobbyss is offline  
11-03-2021, 20:26   #269
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!
 
ancapailldorcha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
Both of Penn's books are must reads IMO, especially The Brothers York. Winter King is a much less fluid read as it handles much less compelling subject matter but Henry VII is a unique character among England's monarchs.

Leaning towards Borman's Henry VIII book. Most of them are concerned with the wives which is irritating. I'm just after a solid narrative biography.

Has anyone read anything good about Elizabeth I?
The Borman book is excellent. Highly recommended.
ancapailldorcha is online now  
19-03-2021, 11:01   #270
Mick Tator
Registered User
 
Mick Tator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
I just want feedback on what people thought of the book.
If you read the book, what did you think of it?

I've read it - ages ago. I recall enjoying it and subsequently being disappointed to learn that some scholars took issue with several of her claims (I think about the meeting with QE1 ??). I've not followed up on that. I've no recollection of the Irish names being an issue and I'm by no means fluent. Chambers' book on the Countess of Desmond is also a good read.
Mick Tator is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet