Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I hated Evil Dead 2 when I first saw it and I haven't been able to fully shake it since. I somewhat enjoy it now, and I do love Army of Darkness because I was expecting silliness at that point, but ED2 will always be tainted by how absurdly disappointed I was in it after ED.

I also like the TV show but you have to be on-board with the Army of Darkness vibe. It's relentlessly brain-dead and silly but charming.

I also thought the 2013 Evil Dead was a fairly decent effort to make something gruesome and disturbing like the original was, for a whole new generation. It's not massively original, but it's fairly hardcore, more so than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    The remake is one of the few examples of an effort well done. I liked it. It was nice to see a gory movie just go hell bent for leather in an era where most things are so tame. There's even a couple of scenes that made a jaded old fart like me wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    The remake is one of the few examples of an effort well done. I liked it. It was nice to see a gory movie just go hell bent for leather in an era where most things are so tame. There's even a couple of scenes that made a jaded old fart like me wince.

If you want something to make you wince, id recommend Possessor, outstanding stuff.

Another that not many have seen is the aussie revenge flick Daddy's Little Girl. Havnt watched it in a while and it only came into my head as I stumbled across a free streaming site called Hyvio that will be showing the directors cut of the movie for the first time on Halloween. Given the story and set up and what little a director's cut could add to it, I can only conclude that its even more brutality. When I first watched it there were a couple of scenes (one involving barbed wire and a pipe particularly springs to mind) that made me sit back in my chair, exhale and say fackin hell, I've never seen anything like that before. So I am very intrigued about what's in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Kajilionaire
    8/10

A quirky kind of dark indie comedy with some very tender themes. Not too art house that its not enjoyable or inaccessible. Well paced , original, worth checking out if your the type that would enjoy an off the wall film in the lighthouse cinema Smithfield.

Dig
    7.5/10

Fly on the wall Documentary charting the divergent paths of the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Joanstown Massacre , two bands that were friends and part of a 60s revival on the San Fransisco Music Scene. Some great characters and drama and the music is great of course too. Well worth a look if your into music/band documentaries.

On the Rocks

8/10

A pretty decent , well written light comedyish Drama centered on a Writer turned Mother and her suspicions about her husbands loyalty.
    Would be a grand enough watch but Bill Murray as the protective elderly Father takes it up a nice few notches. Classic Bill style he just lends it that touch of class , just kind of playing himself really again but he hasn't lost it at all. Good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I watched a few films from the IFI Horrorthon over the weekend, the best being Red Screening, a giallo/slasher film from Uruguay.

A madman stalks and slashes his way through the audience at a late night horror movie screening. Argento and Carpenter are obviously huge influences but the beautiful cinematography and directorial flair rises it above standard slasher movie fare.

As a homage to a certain type of horror cinema it's really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

A lovely movie loosely based on the real life friendship between a journalist and the iconic kids tv presenter Mr Rogers. Tom Hanks topping the Bill has never been gentler or more likeable and Matthew Rhys as the journalist was wonderfully understated. A touching and utterly nice movie, was really pleasantly surprised by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo

The first Lupin film, before the much better known Castle of Cagliostro. Didn't think it was that great to be honest apart from a great run of back to back action sequences near the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Mother (Darren Aronofsky)

You know that feeling you sometimes get with a hangover – "the fear"?

This is the film of that feel.

WTF/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Plode wrote: »
    Mother (Darren Aronofsky)

You know that feeling you sometimes get with a hangover – "the fear"?

This is the film of that feel.

WTF/10

I have this recorded for months, I really must watch it.

Hot Shots 1991. Dir Jim Abrahams.

Top Gun parody benefits from brief running time. Good visuals gags but not enough spoken jokes. The various mini parody moments are fairly pointless bar Baker Boys and 9 & half weeks. Lloyd Bridges scenes are all excellent. A true pratfall professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Halloween ( 1978 )

havent watched it in years , still great

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I lucked out and managed to get to a screening of Cartoon Saloon's Wolfwalkers today before cinemas in the UK get shut down again. I really enjoyed it, and the animation was great - visually some similarities to The Secret of Kells, as perhaps expected given some of the similarities of setting. I really liked the repeated use of frames within the screen to show multiple perspectives at once, and the "wolf scent view" was really well done, reminding me a bit of the changing art style in The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya. For my money, another absolute cracker from Cartoon Saloon. Looking forward to Nora Twomey's next feature with them, which is out sometime next year on Netflix.

Over the weekend I also rewatched Scream, which holds up surprisingly well and whose "the real horror was incels all along" theme is, if anything, more impactful now. And tonight, out of sheer boredom, I stuck on Slenderman. Lasted fifteen minutes before deciding that life's too bloody short for that pish. Also watched Overlord, which had some good bits (as you'd hope, for a film about Allies vs a Nazi zombie factory) but also suffered by having less of a script and more of a trope checklist. There's a looooong bit in the middle where it gets very dull and you're just waiting for things to get moving, and to be fair the last half hour or so has some good stuff, but still marred by being extremely tropey and predictable, so if you have seen literally any WWII or zombie film ever, you'll know exactly what's going to happen and when. Grand if you are e.g. doing the ironing like I was, but I reckon I'd have been annoyed at the sheer laziness and predictability of it if I'd bothere to see it at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

watched Chapter 27 tonight, its a film about Mark Chapman who murdered John Lennon, Jared Leto played him

Jared Leto may not be the best actor in the world but he is dedicated. For this movie he tortured himself to fit into the role. Putting on a lot of weight and becoming almost isolated from the rest of the cast while filming it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cat People 1982 Dir Paul Schrader

Expanded updated remake of the Jacques Tourneur/Val Lewton picture is nearly quite good, but is ultimately defeated by not finding a way to make the story and tone elements come together. In the end it's not sufficiently extravagant, or put another way too American so a bit timid - wanting to be explicit but ultimately not daring to be. European's Malcolm McDowell and Nastassja Kinski are chosen as the feline leads while the "straight guys" are played by Americans which almost tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Starting over - divorce comedy from the 1970s, every room is lit by a table lamp and the cast wear brown. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The trial of the Chicago seven

Had high hopes. Star studded cast and written and directed by Aaron sorkin.

Was let down - some miscasting(Joseph G L), some good performances and some downright dodgy ones like baron Cohen.

but overall, pedestrian direction and very cliched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Showgirls – So much tit and puss, how did this ever get made? Fock scene in the pool, like WTF. Fantastic flick, comedy gold which would never get made today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Midsommar - A24 has done it again with this pagan, folkstyle horror and is one of the finest films I've seen in a while and surpasses the director's (Ari Aster) previous effort "Hereditary". The entire film seems to go against type and takes place mostly in daylight and rather than resorting to any needless jump scares it uses an uneasy feeling throughout. There's even some elements of very black humour.

Florence Pugh (how do you pronounce this surname?) handles the centre stage with confidence and she's rightfully the Hollywood flavour of the month. Hopefully we see more gritty roles for her to get stuck into. The comparisons to "The Wicker Man" were always going to be there but I honestly was never a fan. Maybe I need to revisit it if people seem to think it's better than this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

p to the e wrote: »
    Florence Pugh (how do you pronounce this surname?) handles the centre stage with confidence and she's rightfully the Hollywood flavour of the month. Hopefully we see more gritty roles for her to get stuck into.

It's pronounced Pew, as in *makes finger guns* "pew! pew!"
    Or, you know, rhymes with new.

It's pronounced Pew, as in *makes finger guns* "pew! pew!"
    Or, you know, rhymes with new.

I honestly thought it was either "puff" like the -gh sound in "tough" or "poo" as in "Hugh".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

p to the e wrote: »
    I honestly thought it was either "puff" like the -gh sound in "tough" or "poo" as in "Hugh".
    You pronounce "Hugh" as "Hoo"? :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mikhail wrote: »
    You pronounce "Hugh" as "Hoo"? :eek:

That's the Welsh pronunciation.

The Cop, The Gangster, The Devil - 2019

Not sure about the "based on a true story" aspect of this but it's an entertaining caper. A cop enters into a sort of arrangement with a gang boss to find and stop a serial killer. No guns as there are pretty much none in South Korea which leads to some amusing set pieces. Set in 2005. Rollicking sort of pace set throughout with definite elements of humour thrown in.

6.1/ 10

That's the Welsh pronunciation.

Hoo of the Grant.

Scent of a Woman

Had never managed to see this before. Its great. Very moving Drama and laugh out loud in places too. Pacino in his Prime before he became sort of overused. Has that refreshing unPCness that older movies have.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Scent of a Woman

Had never managed to see this before. Its great. Very moving Drama and laugh out loud in places too. Pacino in his Prime before he became sort of overused. Has that refreshing unPCness that older movies have.

8.5/10

Though it's an awful long time since I've seen it, from memory he was doing a fair bit of over-acting and shouting in this too. I mostly remember this movie for Gabrielle Anwar tbh...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Though it's an awful long time since I've seen it, from memory he was doing a fair bit of over-acting and shouting in this too. I mostly remember this movie for Gabrielle Anwar tbh...........

Lots and lots of hoo ah's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And diving a car while blind. A Ferrari, was it. But yes, Miss Anwar looked very nice in this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

A few more Westerns I hadn’t seen before

The Big Gundown: surprisingly good spaghetti Western. Went into this one blind, and the spaghetti westerns can be hit or miss. This one was definitely a hit for me. Lee Van Cleef in the lead role as a bounty hunter chasing an outlaw across Texas & Mexico, decent story, good dubbing and a Ennio Morricone score was a real treat! Worth the watch if your into this sort of thing

Cat Ballou: I’ve been curious about this one for while as it’s the only Western to make the AFIs all time Top 10 Western list that I hadn’t seen. It’s a bit quirky, certainly not a typical Western but I really enjoyed. Great performance from Lee Marvin (I believe he won an Oscar for this) and Nat King Cole in his final film appearance.

Bandolero: Run of the mill late 60s Western starring Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin & Raquel Welsh. Solid cast, an ok story, decent enough to pass 90 odd minutes on a rainy November afternoon.

• Advertisement

Lots and lots of hoo ah's

But Pacino got away with it - he even got the feckin' Best Actor Oscar for it.

This pre-dated the "Whoo Ah" overuse backlash

Chris O'Donnell - now there's a bland mofo who disappeared off the face of the earth.

Advertisement