Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up Minecraft Server question

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Dear Minecraft Moguls,

As a birthday present for my friend's little girl, I have decided to install Minecraft Server on my VPS - I have 4GB of Ram, Dual Core etc. etc so hope this will be sufficient.

Anyway, the instructions for installing the server software seem simple enough but I want to know will it be necessary for me to purchase the Minecraft game to know the server is working properly or can I just use the demo?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

anvilfour wrote: »
    Dear Minecraft Moguls,

As a birthday present for my friend's little girl, I have decided to install Minecraft Server on my VPS - I have 4GB of Ram, Dual Core etc. etc so hope this will be sufficient.

Anyway, the instructions for installing the server software seem simple enough but I want to know will it be necessary for me to purchase the Minecraft game to know the server is working properly or can I just use the demo?

AFAIK you definitely need a full version to use multiplayer. I guess you could ask someone with the full version to log in and test it for you?

Great present idea btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

AFAIK you definitely need a full version to use multiplayer. I guess you could ask someone with the full version to log in and test it for you?

Great present idea btw!

Darkglasses,

Thanks so much for telling me, you are a gem!

Hello all,

I have finally installed a Minecraft server (I think!) but I don't have Minecraft to test it still sadly. I was wondering if any of you very kind Minecraft players are feeling charitable if you would be willing to let me send you the IP address via private message to have a play around - you'd be very welcome to use it as well, I just want to be sure it's working as my friend's daughter is coming over today.

Similarly if you have any thoughts on the default settings, would love to hear from you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I can test it for you tonight if that's any use?

I can test it for you tonight if that's any use?

Many thanks Darkglasses, will send you a message.

• Advertisement
Advertisement