Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTB/Forgecraft installation question

• 03-03-2015 11:53am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

been a big fan of FTB and forgecraft (DW20 youtube series) for a while now. Always wanted to play it but my PC is pretty dated and even with optifine and finecraft (I think that's the name?), it won't run very well for me. I'm not super experienced on setting up servers but I want to check it with you. I'm guessing setting up the server on my pc and playing a single player is more resource hogging than if I just run a client and connect to a server? If that's the case, would I be best trying to drop my FTB server on a raspberry pi and running it there and then just connecting to it over my lan? Or will the difference in resources on my pc be negligible?

Cheers!
    Splinter

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What are your PC's specs?

SSP and SMP have been one and the same for a while now, for the last few versions of Minecraft playing singleplayer basically runs a hidden server inside the core MC process, rather than being a completely different animal as it was in old versions of MC.

I'm not sure if using a dedicated server and client setup for SSP is clever or not; while I would expect it to increase the required amount of overhead you'd need I've noticed 1.7 packs are a lot more civilized in SMP and tend to behave atrociously in SSP with all kinds of odd issues that don't seem to as much of an issue in multiplayer.

I doubt a Pi2 could run a dedicated FTB server, let alone an old Pi! FTB and most other modpacks are almost exponentially more costly in terms of resources than vanilla, although I'm not that experienced in modded servers so I don't know how much extra overhead a dedicated FTB server needs :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

its an old 2.33 ghz processor, 4gig ddr2 ram, 512 mb GeForce graphics running windows 8.1 64bit on a 256gig ssd. It's only be rebuilt too. From what I could tell, the errors are that its running out of memory (I've got java pulling about 2.25 gig through the ftb launcher)

Yeah, the memory issues have been really bad since 1.6 :/ I have no idea how much memory the internal server uses but the client itself typically needs 1.3-1.5GB RAM on its own for the more demanding packs, and Java itself will wind up using 2-3GB - I don't know how much of this is actually being used and how much of it is pure leakage.

If RAM is the big issue then you can focus on conserving that first and foremost:
    - Kill any open programs floating around before launching MC - web browser is a big culprit for stealing RAM, especially if you have video open and Java manages to make it freak out it could be taking up 400MB-1GB+! :p
    - Find and kill background services that munch too much RAM
    - Try and optimise Windows to use less RAM
    - Change the options in the launcher you are using. For FTB packs try trimming the RAM slider to 2 or 3GB and remove Show Console, as that will keep a second process open which I find is rather leaky in 1.7, going from <200MB to over 700MB! :o

There's probably a lot more you can do, dec or someone can tell you more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's also FTBlite, which is reported to be ... lighter.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

so, FTBLite works just fine so cheers for that bnt. I'm looking at your suggestions Solitaire, I didn't realise how much memory the console took up!

looking forward to getting a new laptop now :pac:

• Advertisement

The console takes up more room over time due to both leaks and growing log size. More verbose and/or error-prone mods will spam the console and grow the open log file rapidly, eating up memory *cough*JourneyMap*cough* :P And the less memory available, the more likely you'll get slowdown and tick lag that will make MC and/or Forge spew tons more warnings into the chat, bloating it even more...

On that note... if you ever enabled it, disable JourneyMap. Awesome mod but horrendously resource-intensive and so far pretty buggy in 1.7, especially in SSP (not too bad in multiplayer) :o

Advertisement