Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 finkaboutit555

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE CHICKEN WINGS IN "EDDIE ROCKETS"??

I had them two weeks ago and they are The best I've had in a long time..
    The worst I've had is in Spurs in Liffey Valley absolute dirt!!

The best ever can be got in "RACE ROCK" on International Drive in Orlando Florida...B-E-S-T E-V-E-R!!!!

The Second Best are in "BUFFALO WILD WINGS" real Zing off the sauce...It too is on International Drive..

The Third Best is Elephant and Castle Dublin, Although I'm going to NY in Janurary so I'll let you know what they are like..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

It's hard to believe that still nobody has posted a full recipe including all information on how to make these wings at home.

This thread is full of "yeah havn't tried them but it sounds like they're the same".

The OP asked if anyone knew the recipe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It's hard to believe that still nobody has posted a full recipe including all information on how to make these wings at home.

This thread is full of "yeah havn't tried them but it sounds like they're the same".

The OP asked if anyone knew the recipe.

Here you go then, this is as EXACT as I have come across to the E&C wings.

Put a dash of paprika, salt and pepper into a bowl of flour. I dunno how much, a handful ish and mix it all together.

In with the 12 wings and swish around to coat them. Into the fridge then with the bowl of wings for 30 mins. You can carry on without doing this but they don't turn out as crispy. Your call. They should be a little gooey coming out of the fridge.

Into the deep fat fryer at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

While they are frying, put a few glugs of Franks Hot Sauce (see thread for availability) along with 1 slice (say up to 5mm thick) of stork margarine into a pot and heat until all mixed together. You can use the microwave also if you prefer. Keep stirring the mixture while heating.

When the wings are fried crispy then throw them into the bowl with the sauce and stir around to coat them evenly. Eat immediately with cold beer.

Everything else is nonsense and a variation rather than the exact replica.

Note: if you prefer extra heat then a few drops of tobasco into the sauce will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Ballyman wrote: »
    Here you go then, this is as EXACT as I have come across to the E&C wings.

Put a dash of paprika, salt and pepper into a bowl of flour. I dunno how much, a handful ish and mix it all together.

In with the 12 wings and swish around to coat them. Into the fridge then with the bowl of wings for 30 mins. You can carry on without doing this but they don't turn out as crispy. Your call. They should be a little gooey coming out of the fridge.

Into the deep fat fryer at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

While they are frying, put a few glugs of Franks Hot Sauce (see thread for availability) along with 1 slice (say up to 5mm thick) of stork margarine into a pot and heat until all mixed together. You can use the microwave also if you prefer. Keep stirring the mixture while heating.

When the wings are fried crispy then throw them into the bowl with the sauce and stir around to coat them evenly. Eat immediately with cold beer.

Everything else is nonsense and a variation rather than the exact replica.

Note: if you prefer extra heat then a few drops of tobasco into the sauce will help.

You're a legend, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

The best ever can be got in "RACE ROCK" on International Drive in Orlando Florida...B-E-S-T E-V-E-R!!!!

The Second Best are in "BUFFALO WILD WINGS" real Zing off the sauce...It too is on International Drive..

The Third Best is Elephant and Castle Dublin, Although I'm going to NY in Janurary so I'll let you know what they are like..

You've obviously never had wings in the Harbormaster ....... sooo good in the words of James Lionel Price ... they make your bollocks tingle ........... that is all.

:::: ven0mous ::::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Just bumping this in case there's an update - Anyone seen the evasive Frank's RedHot Sauce in a non-wholesaler's yet?

Would think Fallon & Byrne or similar would have it... Neeeeeeed wiiiiiings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I prefer the wings in Luigi Malones and Harbourmaster to Elephant and Castle. The sauce in E&C is damn tasty but the over fried wings texture ruins it for me. Plus I find it over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GregB777

Greetings, everyone!

(I joined this board just to reply to this thread. It's great so many people seem to love chicken wings!)

I actually was born and raised, and now live in Buffalo, New York and have eaten many times at the restaurant where they were invented, called Frank and Theresa's Anchor Bar. (www.AnchorBar.com)

People here know their chicken wings! We take pride in them. We eat them a lot. There are a lot of great chicken wing restaurants here-- they are usually served together with pizza, as in, on a Friday night, "Let's get some pizza and wings." They are usually delivered to your house. (By the way, they are just called "wings" or "chicken wings" here, not "Buffalo Wings.")

Anyway, I thought I'd give some input into the debate here.

The "original" recipe was very simple: Deep fry chicken wings until crispy. Drain them. Mix about equal parts melted butter and Frank's RedHot Sauce in a bowl (ratio to taste). Coat the wings in this sauce. Serve on a plate with a side of bleu cheese dressing as dipping sauce and a bunch of sliced celery sticks.

This is really the only TRUE method for preparing chicken wings.

They always come with bleu cheese dressing and sliced raw celery sticks. Don't ask why. They just do.

Any other method for preparation, or any other sauce, might taste just fine but just aren't they way they were done originally or the way they are still done here in Buffalo.

(They are NOT coated in flour before you fry them! Ugh! This is a TRAVESTY! Ballyman was basically right on the rest of the recipe, but you DO NOT COAT THEM IN FLOUR!)

You must use Frank's. Tabasco is too harsh and just tastes different. To make the wings hotter, you can add extra cayenne pepper to the Frank's.

Here in Buffalo, there are only four ways you can order your chicken wings: mild, medium, hot and barbecue. (Barbecue is NOT the original method, but has been accepted by the population here. Any other flavor besides the original made with Frank's and barbecue is weird and just wrong. Teriyaki? Ginger? Ugh!)

By the way, I'm not trying to be preachy, because other sauces and methods of making wings (ie baking, other flavors) taste fine. But the OP wanted to know the ORIGINAL method, so, as someone who has grown up eating them, I'm trying to help you out!

Viva la Buffalo!
    Viva la Eire!

-Greg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Wings

Wikipedia does it pretty accurately. The only debate is weather to use butter or margarine in the sauce. That is still an open question. One thing is clear: in the traditional method, they are NOT coated in flour. People here in Buffalo would laugh at you if you tried to serve them coated in flour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bootsy11

'The Cheesecake Factory' Boston- takes the biscuit for buffalo wings

Is it possible to get Louisiana hot sauce anywhere in Dublin?

Three best wing restaurants in Buffalo:

(1) La Nova. Even Jay Leno gets them sent to him across the country to California!

http://www.pierce-arrow.com/Leno_Visit_2007.htm
    http://www.lanova.com/

(2) Duff's
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3253

(3) Anchor Bar
    http://www.buffalowings.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

GregB777 wrote: »
    Three best wing restaurants in Buffalo:

(1) La Nova. Even Jay Leno gets them sent to him across the country to California!

http://www.pierce-arrow.com/Leno_Visit_2007.htm
    http://www.lanova.com/

(2) Duff's
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3253

(3) Anchor Bar
    http://www.buffalowings.com/

Any of those places serve Caesars? Or is that solely a Canadian thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bootsy11

its upsetting that E&C chicken wings get the general consensus of been the best in dublin because they are overpriced and do not stand up to the quality of wings across the atlantic. even dominos, new york do better wings than E&C bar the celery!

bootsy11 wrote: »
    'The Cheesecake Factory' Boston- takes the biscuit for buffalo wings

Is it possible to get Louisiana hot sauce anywhere in Dublin?

Franks Redhot sauce available in musgraves in sallynoggin, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

Minder wrote: »
    Franks Redhot sauce available in musgraves in sallynoggin, apparently.

do u need to be a retailer to shop there?

cw girl wrote: »
    do u need to be a retailer to shop there?

No idea, but it was mentioned earlier in the thread, so I brought it up in answer to the previous question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

after reading this thread i was practically climbing the walls in work, in tesco, spotted a bottle of Discovery New York Buffallo Wing Sauce, not so much kick but I added in a little cayene and tabasco.

It was ok but the flavour didnt seem to "stick" to the meat, if you know what i mean?

where can you get Franks? is it whole sale only?

Minder wrote: »
    Any of those places serve Caesars? Or is that solely a Canadian thing.

What do you mean by Caesars? Do you mean Little Caesar's?

Since I've never heard of it, I'm guessing it must be a Canadian thing... but then again, Buffalo is just across the river from Canada, so it must be a particular part of Canada, since Ive never heard of it before.

I personally can get Frank's by driving two blocks to my local grocery store!

However, if you mean "where can I get Frank's in Ireland?" I really have no idea.

Someone else earlier in the thread gave a place, though.

• Advertisement

giftgrub wrote: »
    after reading this thread i was practically climbing the walls in work, in tesco, spotted a bottle of Discovery New York Buffallo Wing Sauce, not so much kick but I added in a little cayene and tabasco.

It was ok but the flavour didnt seem to "stick" to the meat, if you know what i mean?

where can you get Franks? is it whole sale only?

Frank's is pretty mild, too, but has a very distinctive flavor that tabasco doesn't have. It has to do with the aging and a very specific pepper the guy who invented Franks bred himself back 100 years ago or something.

Tabasco will make wings taste a little strange.

http://www.musgrave.ie/index.php

Musgraves appears to sell only to restaurants, not to consumers.

However, in europe I think you can mail order it from HERE:

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/franks-red-hot-sauce-163-c.asp

You can also get it on EBAY UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230239043281&ih=013&category=14313

So, there you go! Two rather reliable sources where you can get it in Ireland!

From that mail order place a 1 gallon bottle (3.7 liter) is 29 pounds, plus 10 pounds shipping to Ireland.

That is a lot of Franks! 3.7 liters!

You can also get smaller bottles. 23 ounce bottle for ten pounds.

i caved and have talked a friend in the US to pick some Frank's up and stick it in the post for me.

If i could only find this level of enthusiasm for my work....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lazybum

good news for all tesco's now sell franks hot sauce.
    am still in shock and for €3.59
    i bought 5 bottle's
    happy day's

lazybum wrote: »
    i bought 5 bottle's
    happy day's

Fallon & Byrne now also stock all THREE kinds of Frank's!!

Hooray!

Fallon & Byrne now also stock all THREE kinds of Frank's!!

Hooray!

Picked up a bottle of the original sauce this afternoon, i think i'm going to wet myself with excitement

lazybum wrote: »
    i bought 5 bottle's
    happy day's

For future reference, which Tesco was this? Was in both Newbridge and Dundrum ones and didn't see any... What size bottle is it, btw. The 12fl oz in F&B is €5-ish. Not that the price matters for such a precious resource!

Now off to buy 10 boxes of wings...

The other question now, does this thread deserve a sticky as it now has reached a climax? Many thanks go to the detective skills of Ballyman, so props to him for his early work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lazybum

clarehall

• Advertisement

For future reference, which Tesco was this? Was in both Newbridge and Dundrum ones and didn't see any... What size bottle is it, btw. The 12fl oz in F&B is €5-ish. Not that the price matters for such a precious resource!

Now off to buy 10 boxes of wings...

The other question now, does this thread deserve a sticky as it now has reached a climax? Many thanks go to the detective skills of Ballyman, so props to him for his early work.
    Glad to be of help. Good to see that it's now widely available especially with summer and the BBQ season just around the corner!!

Advertisement