Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Light Fine SA - Any Advice?

• 15-04-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any advice on how to get off with a red-light-breaking fine in Australia (South Australia to be exact)? Just landed myself a $480 fine and, as an unemployed person, could really do without that! Best advice is to not break red lights (I know) but it's done now. Anyone ever appeal a fine and get off with it? It's my first red-light offence and I was only passing through SA at the time if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Anyone have any advice on how to get off with a red-light-breaking fine in Australia (South Australia to be exact)? Just landed myself a $480 fine and, as an unemployed person, could really do without that! Best advice is to not break red lights (I know) but it's done now. Anyone ever appeal a fine and get off with it? It's my first red-light offence and I was only passing through SA at the time if that makes a difference.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1834030

Have a look at that. I would imagine your chances of getting off with it are pretty slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you broke the light, there's virtually no grounds to appeal.
    If you have some top notch legal counsel, you might be able to wrangle a loop hole. But that would probably cost you more than the fine. Not worth it unless you are on the verge of losing a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I've never had one myself, but as i understand the process, any potential infringement is supposedly reviewed by people before any fines are sent.

did you get access to the photo as proof? worth a read: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/faulty-redlight-camera-found-at-a-rate-of-once-a-week/story-fni6uo1m-1226963083991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

$480............what speed were you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

lg123 wrote: »
    $480............what speed were you doing?

Red light fine.....not speeding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Pay the fine & move on.....it's a hefty fine but there's no way of getting off the hook!

Got fined $415 myself in NSW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

jees...! i assumed it was speed plus the red light at those dollars. i got nabbed at 27kph over the posted speed in Vic and got a 4 week automatic suspension, the fine for that was only $400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

jees...! i assumed it was speed plus the red light at those dollars. i got nabbed at 27kph over the posted speed in Vic and got a 4 week automatic suspension, the fine for that was only $400.

tbh, running a red light risks a serious accident, never mind disruption to traffic, diverting emergency services, etc. I understand that people make mistakes and all - i almost did it myself once because, in a hurry, i misjudged the length of the yellow light. Yellow light is 4sec in a 60 kph zone, 5sec in an 80 kph zone. Really, we should all stop on the yellow light. Red light cameras are triggered when you cross the stop line when the light is red. There are reasons the camera can be triggered when you're not at fault, which is why they're reviewed by humans, and why i mentioned OP should get the photo as proof.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/expiations/how-traffic-cameras-work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm sending them a letter tomorrow asking for a review. I'll let you know what happens. I'm expecting to still have to pay it but worth a chance anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am not sure about SA but in NSW you can apply for leniency if you have held a full licence without any infringements for ten years.

TBH the Red Light Cameras were introduced for a very good reason. They have reduced accident a LOT.

I know that even Emergency Service Vehicles get issued these fines if they do not have their Beacons on at the time. The chances of you getting off are not impossible but about the same as the Pope converting to Islam.

When I was living in Ireland it always confused me. I could not get a straight answer as to how many cars were allowed to pass through a Red Light. I know it's at least 3 but may be up to about 7. As I was used to driving in Australia I was very bad and would brake for Orange Lights. This caused some very close calls as I was almost hit from behind on many occasions, funnily enough mainly by BMW's who were doing the right thing and speeding up at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think the leniency only applies to speed tickets under 10k over.

And it is illegal in vic to break the Orange light if you could have stopped safely for it.

cabansail what's this about breaking red lights in Ireland? I never got that memo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well in fairness it did come with a suspension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Zambia wrote: »
    I think the leniency only applies to speed tickets under 10k over.

Unless they have changed it, or it was only in NSW, the leniency was most fines other that DUI, Dangerous Driving of Exceed Speed Limit by over 30kph.

* Found the current information on Page 11
    And it is illegal in vic to break the Orange light if you could have stopped safely for it.

It's illegal here in NSW too. Think that is probably in all states but it's subjective as to if it's safe to stop. many push it too far and then get caught on a Red.
    cabansail what's this about breaking red lights in Ireland? I never got that memo?

I could not find it in writing either but often there would still be cars coming through the Red when my light was Green. It was also quite common for cars to keep coming when the Green Man was up for Pedestrians. The intersection of Dame St and South Georges St was particularly bad. A few times I have stepped out there and kicked a door of a car with my Steel Cap Boots. Think I may have left a dent or two (allegedly ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CabanSail wrote: »
    It was also quite common for cars to keep coming when the Green Man was up for Pedestrians. The intersection of Dame St and South Georges St was particularly bad. A few times I have stepped out there and kicked a door of a car with my Steel Cap Boots. Think I may have left a dent or two (allegedly ;) )
    I'm pretty sure that in Ireland, if the green man is up for pedestrians, then the corresponding cars lanes have red lights.
    Where as in Oz, the green man and the green light for the car can go simultaneously, and drivers turning left need to keep an eye out.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that in Ireland, if the green man is up for pedestrians, then the corresponding cars lanes have red lights.
    Where as in Oz, the green man and the green light for the car can go simultaneously, and drivers turning left need to keep an eye out.

That's correct .... but in Ireland they would consistently go through the Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I'd go for a colour blindness test if I was you - You might have red/green deficiency ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Actually there was a landmark case in Vic a few years back where some dude requested the calibration of the camera, picture and the lot. Vic Gov of course said no, that was until a Judge was involved and the gov had to provide it. You can legally ask for this information and if they can't supply it... game on.

To be honest, you won't get off it unless you have a very good driving record where you can apply for it to be downgraded to a warning.

You can write a letter to the courts stating your good driving record, you were new to the state, didn't know the laws, new car and not used to the power of it etc but really at the end of the day it depends on the reviewer of your application. It's not unheard of I know people who have gone this route and gotten away with it.... but RARE!.

Advertisement