Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

zweton wrote: »
    Hi,

I will soon be going through the same process also, hoping to put my girlfriend on 176 as de facto. We have been gathering docs for when the time comes(wont be submitting until May as we will only have the 12 months then). Hears hoping DIAC wont put the dates forward because the new changes are coming in July:confused:
    We have been going out for 4 years but only living with each other 10 months in March, we also leave on a WHV in March so we were looking to make up the other 2 months in a hostel in Auz. I was thinking of geting the owner of the hostel to write up a letter stating we are staying in a private room in the hostel on official letterhead paper so hofefully they will accept this as legit:confused:
    We have everything else i think, 10 months esb bills, wedding invites etc.
    One thing we do not have is joint account in both our names just because we never needed it really! We are going to get a letter from landlord stating the dates we lived here. Its the official docs that are hard to get i guess. Could someone have a read of this and advise if this seems right what we plan to do:)

Thanks

Hello,

You certainly appear to be on the right track. i assume flight bookings are together and you will keep all travel receipts in joint names. I will say though that no one can give you a definitive response on a online forum. The key is to gather as much as possible within the headings provided as per the DIAC website.

Am thinking along the lines of DIY for 176 visa but am worried if I 4get some info for the SA and mess it up I will have to start again and that's not an option considering the July changes

The information for the skill assessment is on the relevant website so it is a case of studying carefully and providing all that is requested in the desired format. Just remember to view the criteria for the skill assessment, state sponsorship and visa criteria from the outset to ensure you can tick all the boxes.

Yes, people can do the visa themselves and many are successful. Others struggle with the paper trail and seek professional advice. Bit like doing a tax return yourself or paying the accountant - you have the choice!

Best of luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Just had a look through the online application. Where do u upload all the relevant employer references and payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Hi little miss sunshine, we are paying an agent to assist us. Fee was €2500, agent is based in Adelaide & is Irish.

We have only submitted TRA form so still have a lot to do for 176 visa but knowing our agent is there to help puts our minds at ease. We cannot afford to mess up as we are time poor also.

Regarding uploading references, you don't. You fill out TRA application online & print it off. Then attach references, payslips, contract, p60s, passport, qualifications, results etc.. Making sure to get copies of passport, qualifications & results certified by a Guard or solicitor.

We had loads of questions to ask agent about TRA form alone, we would struggle without agent. Expensive but worth it for us.. so far anyway!
    When our visa is lodged I will update if agent is really needed.

I would be getting my SA through VETESSES and have just found an advisory service on their website. Basically they review ur qualifications, employment references and P60's and ur allowed to ask a few questions all for the fee of €105. They also advise on any documentation that u might be missing. Its sort of a pre check on all the info b4 u submit the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I would be getting my SA through VETESSES and have just found an advisory service on their website. Basically they review ur qualifications, employment references and P60's and ur allowed to ask a few questions all for the fee of €105. They also advise on any documentation that u might be missing. Its sort of a pre check on all the info b4 u submit the real thing

Hey, the following websites really helped me in answering any visa questions i had.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/
    http://britishexpats.com/

Hope this helps.:)

yeah agree pomsinoz is great haven't seen the other one yet but will check it out.
    In relation to certifying documents how do u certify passport size photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If a get a skilled migration visa for aus, how long after I have it do I have to go over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If a get a skilled migration visa for aus, how long after I have it do I have to go over there?

1 year from the day it's granted

hussey wrote: »
    1 year from the day it's granted

Sorry Hussey, you must make your initial entry into Australia before the expiry of your medicals or police clearances (whichever one has the earliest date). This is why it is not a good idea to do the medicals or police clearances too far in advance as it may leave you with problems meeting the Initial Entry date.

As long as the applicants (all family members included in the visa) make the initial entry date for at least a visit to activate the visas then they have 5 years from date of visa grant to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Does it not state on the Visa must not arrive before X date. Is that not the date you should trust?

Zambia wrote: »
    Does it not state on the Visa must not arrive before X date. Is that not the date you should trust?
    Yeah, on my letter it was a year since it was granted, this could well be the medical date, as that was the last thing I submitted, but definetely had the date on letter.
    It wasn't the Garda date as I submitted that before my medical
    I.e. submitted my Garda clearance June, medical August 2010 my letter said August 2011 to activate

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Hi everyone

This is a great thread! I'm starting on the process of applying for a Skilled Migration Visa, and am pulling together information to get my skills assessed.

I need to provide a certified copy of my passport bio-data page. According to Engineers Australia:
    The following classes of persons are authorized to certify copies of documents:
    • An authorised Notary Public
    • An authorised Commissioner for Oaths (Declarations)
    • An authorised Solicitor, Barrister or Judge
    • An authorised Justice of the Peace
    • An officer of an Australian Diplomatic Post
    • A current financial member of the Engineers Australia other than at the grade of student (membership number must be shown)
    • A staff member of Engineers Australia

I assume getting a copy of my passport stamped at the Garda station isn't sufficient? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I thought you might be able to answer me quickly and save me getting it wrong. I'll be back with better ones as my application proceeds, I promise!

Thanks in advance.

Zambia wrote: »

For skilled visas it generally says along the lines of 'You must make your initial entry into Australia before XXXX please note that this date can not be changed under any circumstances'

Other visas such as spouse visas may differ.

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah, on my letter it was a year since it was granted, this could well be the medical date, as that was the last thing I submitted, but definetely had the date on letter.
    It wasn't the Garda date as I submitted that before my medical
    I.e. submitted my Garda clearance June, medical August 2010 my letter said August 2011 to activate

Medicals and Police Clearances are only valid for 12 months hence how they choose the initial entry date however in some cases they can extend the date or indeed choose the latter date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hmmm, was told by a garda the other day the garda cert was only valid for 6 months! Will have to double check this with them.

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    Hi everyone

This is a great thread! I'm starting on the process of applying for a Skilled Migration Visa, and am pulling together information to get my skills assessed.

I need to provide a certified copy of my passport bio-data page. According to Engineers Australia:
    The following classes of persons are authorized to certify copies of documents:
    • An authorised Notary Public
    • An authorised Commissioner for Oaths (Declarations)
    • An authorised Solicitor, Barrister or Judge
    • An authorised Justice of the Peace
    • An officer of an Australian Diplomatic Post
    • A current financial member of the Engineers Australia other than at the grade of student (membership number must be shown)
    • A staff member of Engineers Australia

I assume getting a copy of my passport stamped at the Garda station isn't sufficient? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I thought you might be able to answer me quickly and save me getting it wrong. I'll be back with better ones as my application proceeds, I promise!

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Engineers Australia are very strict so you must follow the instructions carefully. Try a Solicitor or Commissioner of Oaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭emfitz

Hi all,

Just looking into what the next step is in regards to getting residency. I've been a year on 457 and looking at options. I'm defacto on my OH visa. We'd really like to get residency without haveing to involve an employer.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this or what visas would be best.

OH came home yesterday telling me a workmate of his on 457 applied for residency after 18months or so and got it without paying anything, is this possible.

Have read through the old threads but can't work out which visa is best..

emfitz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking into what the next step is in regards to getting residency. I've been a year on 457 and looking at options. I'm defacto on my OH visa. We'd really like to get residency without haveing to involve an employer.

Can anyone tell me how to go about this or what visas would be best.
    Read up on state sponsored or independent, you can find them on immi.gov.au, they are pretty much the two available.
    OH came home yesterday telling me a workmate of his on 457 applied for residency after 18months or so and got it without paying anything, is this possible.
    Yep, if work pays for it, legally if someone wants employer sponsored, then employer should pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hi all,

Like Hussey says if you don't want to involve an Employer it's going be either 175 or 176.

You are going need a skills assessment and at least $3000-$4000, plus you need to make a decision to use a MARA agent (prob another $3000)

If its a 176 you are going need State sponsored.

Also have a look at Liz & Declan's comments on the new rules 1st July.

Have read through the old threads but can't work out which visa is best..

Probably ENS 856 Sponsored PR, employer paid for mine as well. But since you don't want to involve Employer you are going have to pay it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 E86

Hi,

There seems to be good feedback and responses to questions raised on this thread. I'm wondering if you can help me figure out what is the best visa for me to apply for, out of what's available to me.

Some details:

I'm currently on a 417 working holiday visa and have been in the country for 3 months in Melbourne.

I'm 25 and a civil engineer with over 3 years work experience, so I currently get 50 points on the points test.

I would need to do an english language test to get it over the required 65 points.
    Although I came across a line on the Victoria state website that stated if you are an Irish citizen you do not have to provide an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. Does this apply to the DIAC points requirement system...would I still need to do the test to get the required points? see the link below..

www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/skilled-visas/skilled-sponsored-visa-subclass-886

I'm currently doing some temporary work with the department of transport. Is there any way that getting them to do something like nominate me, that could help, since they are a state agency?

These are the visa options that I could find that might be available to me:

1. Second working holiday visa- after 3 months regional work

2. 457- try and get company that will sponsor me

3. Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)- need state nomination, and allows you to remain in Australia for up to three years and requires you to live(2years) and work(12months) in a Specified Regional Area in Australia. If you don't meet the 2 year and 12 month regional work requirements, does it just mean you can't apply for permanent residency yet?

4. Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)- Do I have to be outside Australia to apply for this?

5. Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)- Do I have to be outside Australia to apply for this? Required to remain in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

Am I missing any other visa options?

Ideally I'd like to go for the visa with the least no. of restraints which seems to be the 175 visa.

but also I have to take into account the likelihood of getting the visas and the costs.

What do you think is the best visa option is for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Guys, I am looking to apply for a VISA. I am not too sure if I should be applying for the 457 or 176 VISA.

I too am a Civil/Structural Engineer. My understanding is that I need to fill out the documentation via the Washington Accord, as attached

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/shado/About%20Us/Migration%20Skills%20Assessment/Washington%20Accord%20Application%20Form.pdf

1. Degree manuscript & any other college manuscripts
    2. College results
    3. CV
    4. Passport copy
    5. Get all documentation stamped by a solicitor
    6. IELTS as I am over the required working holiday Visa

What other documentation do I require?
    Previous work pay slips, are these required?
    Previous work contract?
    Medicals?
    Can someone add to the list and put them in an order of when they are required. Thanks

E86 wrote: »

I'm 25 and a civil engineer with over 3 years work experience, so I currently get 50 points on the points test.

I would need to do an english language test to get it over the required 65 points.
    Although I came across a line on the Victoria state website that stated if you are an Irish citizen you do not have to provide an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. Does this apply to the DIAC points requirement system...would I still need to do the test to get the required points? see the link below..
    To get the extra points you must sit the exam
    I'm currently doing some temporary work with the department of transport. Is there any way that getting them to do something like nominate me, that could help, since they are a state agency?
    Ask them!!!!
    4. Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)- Do I have to be outside Australia to apply for this?

5. Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)- Do I have to be outside Australia to apply for this? Required to remain in the sponsoring state for 2 years.

175/176 - You can apply whilst in Australia but when granted you have to leave and 'arrive' again.

More details on the skilled program from July 1st 2012 are now available at http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ - please note that further amendments to the program could be released so act with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was thinkign about my PR options dowm the line.
    I think the skills assessment will eventually screw me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mellor wrote: »
    Was thinkign about my PR options dowm the line.
    I think the skills assessment will eventually screw me over.

Could your firm not sponsor you for PR at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah they could. But they don't be able yo justify that kinda of expense. Quite a small company.

So if I was paying for it myself, I'd be hoping to avoid unnecessary expenses.

Are these costs accurate?
    ENS = $520 Nomination , $3105 (1st installment in Australia) plus Garda checks, medical etc
    175 and 176 = $2970 (1st installment), plus Garda checks, medical etc, plus skills assessment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Your best bet Mellor is the ENS 856 option.
    Yes costs are there or there abouts for the 856 not too sure on the 175.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Found this. Might be posted already but gives a very very brief over view for skilled visas.
    All this though may change come July.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-skilled-options.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

Apologies for posting this if it is out of place, please do advise.

We are looking to Emigrate later this year. My OH is Trade qualified. We did have a would be sponsor, but this would be FIFO and is not suitable as we have 2 small children.
    We spotted some adverts on a site earlier and there was a guy there called Niall Minogue, he looks for €300 and will get visa sorted and find work as well?!
    Just wondered if anyone knows anything about him or his service?
    Would much appreciate it if anyone can help.

Advertisement