Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

stupidskin wrote: »
    Hi
    has anyone with HS suffered from a pilonidal cyst also?,

I just had 1 removed last week and it was left open for healing from inside out and the dressing is a foam dressing that basically fills the cavity of the area that was removed. (cavicare I think) anyway just wondering if any1 has experience witht these dressings as I am supposed to take it out and clean it 3 times a day an as they say just pop it back in !

that is not the easiest task in the world to perform and I am not normally that squeamish. I have had my axilla and groin surgeries done for HS in the past. But on this cavicare thing any advice?, I need to go and get a new one moulded next week :(

SS:cool:

Hi SS,

I have pilonidal also. I never had to use the cavicare.
    From what i have read, it isnt 'unusual' for HS people to get pilonidal cysts, and vice versa.
    There is a dedicated thread for pilonidal sinus on the site, and some of the posters there might be able to answer your question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145515&highlight=pilonidal

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stupidskin

chappy wrote: »
    Hi Stupidskin,

I have had 2 surgeries in the past 8 months to have a pilonidal sinus removed.Both of mine where left open to heal as yours have.I did not use the dressing you are talking about.I instead used aqualcell AG which the district nurse came daily to change.How big is your wound?

Hi, it's probably only a small one, although to me it feels a lot more. it is about 1 inch deep and 2.5 inches long. Pain is still sporadic and sitting nigh on impossible. As for the dressing they basically poured this liquid into the cavity than added another to it an it solidified in minutes like a plug. Thos is what I take out a few times every day and try to line up to get back in. How long b4 u could go back to work ?

thnx

lockman wrote: »
    Hi SS,

I have pilonidal also. I never had to use the cavicare.
    From what i have read, it isnt 'unusual' for HS people to get pilonidal cysts, and vice versa.
    There is a dedicated thread for pilonidal sinus on the site, and some of the posters there might be able to answer your question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145515&highlight=pilonidal

Thanks Lockman, I came accross that 1 already but I was trying to get a perspective from other HS users as well as I am wondering about the risk of infection to an open wound from active HS in the groin area near the pilonodal region.
    Hopefully when this is healed it will b 1 less thing to deal with it, making my way through HS 1 excession at a time !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A good friend of mine used to suffer very badly with this and the only way he got shot of it for good was by changing diet completely.

Following Your one from i'm a celeb get me out of here? mckieth's books.

no drinking, no smoking, no chocolate, no cakes no fried foods, no white breads or rice. etc _ever_

basically rabbit food for life.

ntlbell wrote: »
    A good friend of mine used to suffer very badly with this and the only way he got shot of it for good was by changing diet completely.

Following Your one from i'm a celeb get me out of here? mckieth's books.

no drinking, no smoking, no chocolate, no cakes no fried foods, no white breads or rice. etc _ever_

basically rabbit food for life.

Thanks ntlbell, I am on a fairly good diet already as it helps with the HS so my weight is average for height, now the smoking.........it's all I have left :/
    Ended up on fluflox 4 x 500 daily for 5 days after the op as I think an active area of HS may have gotten into the pilonidal.. getting better now though. Only thing is I'm wodering about how long b4 I consider going back to wotk. involves sitting all day and a 45min drive??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

stupidskin wrote: »
    Thanks ntlbell, I am on a fairly good diet already as it helps with the HS so my weight is average for height, now the smoking.........it's all I have left :/
    Ended up on fluflox 4 x 500 daily for 5 days after the op as I think an active area of HS may have gotten into the pilonidal.. getting better now though. Only thing is I'm wodering about how long b4 I consider going back to wotk. involves sitting all day and a 45min drive??

Well a "good" diet isn't enough I don't think, the sacrafices nearly killed him :)

We're not talking eat your 5 a day and go for a walk here.

if we take the avergae person who eats "healthy" take them and remove about 95% of what they're eating and that's probably getting closer

it didn't "help" it cured it.

I wouldn't last two days on it i'd say. giving up drinking and smoking can be tough but then add to that never having a bit of chocolate again, I'd lose my mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stumauler

Hi all,
    I'm male aged 30, had very bad acne from 13 to about 16 - roaccutane cleared that up.
    At 17/18 started to get lumps/boils under my arms in the groin and buttocks- thought it was just acne again.......wrong!!!

Went for an operation in July '99 to excise from the arms and groin- got out of hospital 6 weeks later after 18 general anesthetics for dessings/excisions with MRSA and gaping open wounds everywhere.

3 weeks later back into A+E to try and get something done- it was then that i was diagnosed with HS- Proceeded to have skin grafts under both arms - was in hospital for another 6 weeks due to the MRSA and needed 2 blood transfusions.

Skin grafts started off ok but degraded badly after 3 weeks- went back to plastic surgeon and was told "I feel like saying don't call me I'll call you" !!!!!! and said there was nothing else he could do for me.

Tried alternative medicine- no joy.
    Went to see a faith healer (don't laugh:))2 months later smelling and feeling like a lepper.
    Noticed a drastic improvement in the wounds under the arms in the next few weeks and bathing wounds with a mixture he gave me ( basically bread soda and salt) my arms cleared up within a few months - mainly scar tissue there now not much of the graft, no problems in under the arms since that.

Groin is a different story.
    Tried Rifampacin and clyndamicin (excuse any spelling mistakes) seemed to work for the first couple of months but it would then flare up again.

I was with Hibiscrub or something with aloe in it.
    I bath in potassium permanganate granules- seems to dry out the wounds pretty well, also dip a dressing in the solution and wear while I sleep if the flare up is really bad.

Over a year ago I had a really bad flare up and decided to see the dermatoligist again after about 5 years without consulting them.

They started me on injections- an immune surppressant called Adalimumab (HUMIRA): Cost was just 120euro with the DPS.- 1 injection every 2 weeks self administered- its a pen so no hassle.

And ALL of the wounds in my groin and buttocks dried up closed over and healed, some of these for the 1st time in 10 years!
    I was playing sport- wearing clothes for longer than half a day it really was life changing- I even started cycling!!!
    Had a couple of flare ups but nothing at all serious and they went away in a couple of days.

Currently off the treatment as hoping to start a family.
    6 months of the treatment now and wounds are open again- not as bad as before but I will be back on the treatment as soon as I can.

In the meantime - I just keep clean try to keep the weight down, I wear breathable underwear like sports players do- the baselayer stuff it keeps sweat/moisture off the skin and helps reduce itching/rubbing and I don't use dressing I prefer the baselayer and change it during the day.

Feel free to PM me about anything.

Don't let it get you down, worrying about it won't make it better!!!

Stumauler wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm male aged 30, had very bad acne from 13 to about 16 - roaccutane cleared that up.
    At 17/18 started to get lumps/boils under my arms in the groin and buttocks- thought it was just acne again.......wrong!!!

Went for an operation in July '99 to excise from the arms and groin- got out of hospital 6 weeks later after 18 general anesthetics for dessings/excisions with MRSA and gaping open wounds everywhere.

3 weeks later back into A+E to try and get something done- it was then that i was diagnosed with HS- Proceeded to have skin grafts under both arms - was in hospital for another 6 weeks due to the MRSA and needed 2 blood transfusions.

Skin grafts started off ok but degraded badly after 3 weeks- went back to plastic surgeon and was told "I feel like saying don't call me I'll call you" !!!!!! and said there was nothing else he could do for me.

Tried alternative medicine- no joy.
    Went to see a faith healer (don't laugh:))2 months later smelling and feeling like a lepper.
    Noticed a drastic improvement in the wounds under the arms in the next few weeks and bathing wounds with a mixture he gave me ( basically bread soda and salt) my arms cleared up within a few months - mainly scar tissue there now not much of the graft, no problems in under the arms since that.

Groin is a different story.
    Tried Rifampacin and clyndamicin (excuse any spelling mistakes) seemed to work for the first couple of months but it would then flare up again.

I was with Hibiscrub or something with aloe in it.
    I bath in potassium permanganate granules- seems to dry out the wounds pretty well, also dip a dressing in the solution and wear while I sleep if the flare up is really bad.

Over a year ago I had a really bad flare up and decided to see the dermatoligist again after about 5 years without consulting them.

They started me on injections- an immune surppressant called Adalimumab (HUMIRA): Cost was just 120euro with the DPS.- 1 injection every 2 weeks self administered- its a pen so no hassle.

And ALL of the wounds in my groin and buttocks dried up closed over and healed, some of these for the 1st time in 10 years!
    I was playing sport- wearing clothes for longer than half a day it really was life changing- I even started cycling!!!
    Had a couple of flare ups but nothing at all serious and they went away in a couple of days.

Currently off the treatment as hoping to start a family.
    6 months of the treatment now and wounds are open again- not as bad as before but I will be back on the treatment as soon as I can.

In the meantime - I just keep clean try to keep the weight down, I wear breathable underwear like sports players do- the baselayer stuff it keeps sweat/moisture off the skin and helps reduce itching/rubbing and I don't use dressing I prefer the baselayer and change it during the day.

Feel free to PM me about anything.

Don't let it get you down, worrying about it won't make it better!!!

Hi Stumaler,

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    Your story made for harrowing reading in parts, and i am sure there are many readers who were able to identify with what you told us.

So sorry to hear of your relapse, but glad to hear that you found the Humira useful.

And the very best of luck in your plans for starting a family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

So I had an appointment this morning with a general surgeon and shockingly after requesting surgery for years and being turned down he agreed that my areas that are infected are too big for himself to do but he is referring me to a plastic surgeon.

I know its going to be a little while longer but it really does feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Don't get me wrong I know surgery is not a miracle cure but even if I get a few years relief it would be amazing.And now that my pilonidal sinus is also cleared up things are looking up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hi all, just a brief update, I finally got to see a Dermatologist a couple of weeks ago, and the HS was formally diagnosed. Anyway she gave me a prescription for the next four months, the name of the tablet/anti-biotic is 'Minicin' . Has anyone been on this ?

• Advertisement

m'lady wrote: »
    Hi all, just a brief update, I finally got to see a Dermatologist a couple of weeks ago, and the HS was formally diagnosed. Anyway she gave me a prescription for the next four months, the name of the tablet/anti-biotic is 'Minicin' . Has anyone been on this ?

Hi M'lady,

Glad to hear you finally got a diagnosis for this, so at least you have some idea of what you are dealing with.
    I was on Minocin for ~6 months, did very little good if i am to be honest: in the first few weeks, i got a small bit of relief (i.e. less oozing and pus) and the pain died down a bit. But shortly afterwards again (about 2 months or so into the treatment), i was back to square one. Different people have differing experiences on antibiotics for HS, so you might get lucky with this (and i hope you do), but personally, no antibiotics have ever had a sustained impact on the HS for me.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

+1 to what ntlbell is saying. I've had it for about 12 years. I've had surgery a couple of times and been on all the drugs. I reached a point a couple of years ago where it was have more surgery and continue the cycle or suck it up and accept it. I decided to just get on with life and forget about surgery and more drugs. I started to take some sports a bit more seriously (running was sore at times but some gel like plasters were great) and i cleaned my diet up big time and started drinking a bit less. My HS is basically gone or inactive now. I do notice the lumps on the back of my neck coming back or my armpits getting a little leaky after a heavy session on the beer or after eating crap but it doesn't last long once i clean up the diet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There's a fine line between people sharing their experiences and people giving medical advice, I'm happy that we're on the right side of that line up to now, but just to remind everyone - with respect - that anecdotal evidence should be taken in that context - anecdotal, and to point out that your milage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorridgeHead

Hi All.
    I am so glad that I found this tread in an Irish forum.
    We are at our wits end.

Our 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed with HS.... just to add to the complexity of her life. She has a rare chromosomal disorder classified as Profound Intellectual Disability.

She doesn't walk or talk and wears nappies 24/7/365.

She eats like a horse (but she is not in any way fat or chubby), but can't take tablets. As most of the prescriptions are tablet form, and are NOT crushable, her options (that we have been told about) are somewhat limited.

Her HS is terrible, affecting her groin area.
    As a younger child she would Bunny Hop around the house, but since the HS and it's level of pain and discomfort, she just likes to sit on a couch. What a life?

She was prescribed Cli/Rif, but the side affects on someone in nappies was rather unfortunate, and we decided to stop it.

There seems to be a lot of people that have been through the mill with HS. I don't think surgery is an option.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the fact that she is in nappies compounding the problem?

m'lady wrote: »

Hi m'lady.
    They put my daughter on Minicin, and 3 months later they doubled the dosage. We did see a temporary improvement, but not for very long, and it was an improvement, by no means a cure.

Hi All.
    I am so glad that I found this tread in an Irish forum.
    We are at our wits end.

Our 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed with HS.... just to add to the complexity of her life. She has a rare chromosomal disorder classified as Profound Intellectual Disability.

She doesn't walk or talk and wears nappies 24/7/365.

She eats like a horse (but she is not in any way fat or chubby), but can't take tablets. As most of the prescriptions are tablet form, and are NOT crushable, her options (that we have been told about) are somewhat limited.

Her HS is terrible, affecting her groin area.
    As a younger child she would Bunny Hop around the house, but since the HS and it's level of pain and discomfort, she just likes to sit on a couch. What a life?

She was prescribed Cli/Rif, but the side affects on someone in nappies was rather unfortunate, and we decided to stop it.

There seems to be a lot of people that have been through the mill with HS. I don't think surgery is an option.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the fact that she is in nappies compounding the problem?

Hi PorridgeHead,

Glad you found us, and welcome.

So sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles. I assume she hasn't been on much medication, with the difficulties ye have getting her to take tablets? If it is any consolation to ye, very few, if any, of the many different tablets i have been prescribed down through the years have made any big difference to my HS.
    I had similar problems when on Clin/Rif. combo, so i can appreciate how difficult it can be.

In my case what helps me deal with the pain and discomfort is to keep the areas as clean as possible at all times. I bathe 1-2 times per day, and sometimes will bathe the affected areas in between. Also during the summer months i wear shorts as often as possible (and at night at home i will wear them). I find keeping the affected areas as cool as possible, and letting fresh air at it seems to help me. The medics will tell you to avoid any activity that causing sweating in the affected areas and i'd tend to agree with that.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Hi,

Reading this thread was emotional for me and I want to try to say something supportive to you.

I always considered some conditions I'd been through to be hard and reading this thread has been educational about the next level of hardship.

I respect the people who are coping with this and hope for improvement for you - whether through better medical understanding, personal strength/endurance, or other form of relief.

My heart is with you.

- I do not have HS

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClaireBear10

Hi,

I think i have been suffering from HS for around 5 years in total but was only diagnosed over a year ago. :(

I was prescribed tetracycline but didn't find that helped so returned to my dermatologist and was then prescribed Erthyomycin which i have been taking twice a day for over a year, tablets are 500mg each and caused vomiting in the beginning. But i presume my tummy got used to them, however i still often feel sick after taking them. I am not sure if they beneficial to me but i would not like to discontinue, just in case.

I was referred to a cosmetic surgeon in the Beaumont last month and he said that they were one of the worse he has seen and are quite infected. I have the opportunity to have surgery but i am unsure as i have heard it is painful and diffucult to heal. :confused: I don't think the surgeon was advising surgery as it is a hit & miss procedure with a 10% likelihood of it reoccurring-Even though i don't think i'm in that 10% ;)

My 'lumps' are under my left and right arms, the left mainly being the worst, but one lump/scar is really raw (as in open). I tend to cover them with a plaster during the day but i am not sure if this is the best thing for them. I do this so that my tops/dresses do not irritate them.

I try to see the best in this illness though, as i'm sure there are people worse off that us, but is ssssoooo annoying as it is such an 'ugly' disease :'(

Thank You All For Previous Posts

(PS, this is one of my bad days as i have read all about HS in this board before but have never posted)

From A Sad Bear :( xxx

Hi,

I think i have been suffering from HS for around 5 years in total but was only diagnosed over a year ago. :(

I was prescribed tetracycline but didn't find that helped so returned to my dermatologist and was then prescribed Erthyomycin which i have been taking twice a day for over a year, tablets are 500mg each and caused vomiting in the beginning. But i presume my tummy got used to them, however i still often feel sick after taking them. I am not sure if they beneficial to me but i would not like to discontinue, just in case.

I was referred to a cosmetic surgeon in the Beaumont last month and he said that they were one of the worse he has seen and are quite infected. I have the opportunity to have surgery but i am unsure as i have heard it is painful and diffucult to heal. :confused: I don't think the surgeon was advising surgery as it is a hit & miss procedure with a 10% likelihood of it reoccurring-Even though i don't think i'm in that 10% ;)

My 'lumps' are under my left and right arms, the left mainly being the worst, but one lump/scar is really raw (as in open). I tend to cover them with a plaster during the day but i am not sure if this is the best thing for them. I do this so that my tops/dresses do not irritate them.

I try to see the best in this illness though, as i'm sure there are people worse off that us, but is ssssoooo annoying as it is such an 'ugly' disease :'(

Thank You All For Previous Posts

(PS, this is one of my bad days as i have read all about HS in this board before but have never posted)

From A Sad Bear :( xxx

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your situation. As for your diagnosis, many people go many years before getting the correct diagnosis. A recent survey of std clinics in Scandanavian countires showed that just under 10% of those being treated for stds didnt have any std at all - it was in fact HS which hadnt been diagnosed properly!

I have had both armpits done in recent years, and have to say it is one of the best things i have ever done. No reoccurence yet, although the HS has appeared elsewhere in the meantime.

As for the surgery, it wasnt all that bad. In my case, i found the site from where they take the donor skin to be irritating and most troublemsome. The area from my armpits wasnt much trouble at all (once you can get through the first couple of dressings changes, you will be grand).

Below is a link to a clip from the Embarassing Bodies series on Channel4, and you will see an overview of the surgical procedure. WARNING - contains some gruesome images. If you are queasy, dont watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjg0e5D3VVE

As i mentioned i had this procedure done on each arm. In the first op, i was back to normal (functioning arm which could stretch and lift etc) within about 6-8 weeks.With the 2nd op, i ran into a few problems with a minor reoccuring infection at the wound site, but nothing too major.

If you want to know anymore, please feel free to get in touch.

Best wishes, and i hope you are as pain-free as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 edelmegan

Hi

I have this for the past 10years so far and every treatment that has been mentioned on this HAS NOT WORKED for me as I'm also allergic to penicillin. I have lost count of the times I had them drained and pluged.

I have been attending Dermatology Prof for the past 9 yrs and she recons that the surgery does'nt help with them as they can just come back again. ( My cousin had it done and they just came back)

The most painful is in the groin and being a women its not nice at all I get them every 3 weeks I find the only thing that heals them is a trip to hospital for IV vancamincine (not sure about the spelling) which in its self is draining.

I would like to hear from other who have this.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sue800

Omg i cant believe i found this thread..have suffered in silence for ten year now and thought not many ppl suffer from this horrible nasty condition..my sister also suffers from it tho..i have given up trying to get treatment at this stage as no one takes me serious..i have even been to a plastic surgeon about cutting my armpits out and he has refused me an operation as he said its not severe..not severe???i have constant lumps the size of golf balls which weep and smell,its totally affecting my life and making me miserable :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 edelmegan

Hi Sue800

I know its a truly horrible thing to have to deal with I myself have just spent the past week going back and forth to hospital as I had 3abbcess 1 on the belly and 1 each side of my groin they decide to insize and drain them which Im sure you prob had done yourself, so I had to go back every day for dressings and for them to be re-pluged. The trouble with getting this done is that it leaves what the doctor call tracking (scar tissue). It was either that or spent 2 weeks as an inpatient on iv antibiotic which I wasn't going to do as I'm only out of hospital 4 weeks ago. I have them all the time and sometimes it just get's to much to bear. They say that if you have the surgery done there is no guarantee they wont come back and as I get them everywhere especially in my groin there would be no point in getting it done. Have you not seen a dermatologist anywhere. I live in Dublin so I attend St James Hospital am under Prof Barnes who is such a lovely lady, but sometimes it's very annoying when they say you need to be brave when you get them god I wish they would get one just to experience the pain and discomfort themselves. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

sounds like you have it awful bad too,its so unfair that theres not a treatment that can cure this but most doctors are only aware of it recently, some not at all so hopefully in time a cure can be found(fingers crossed).iv not been to see a dermatologist,i feel like its a waste of time to be honest as 3 different doctors and a plastic surgeon have all said theres nothing that can be done.its a horrible thing to live with,ppl who arent effected dont understand..i cant wear sleeveless tops or dresses and am constanly aware of the odour..if i use deodorants it agrivates it so im constantly washing ..even my kids are making comments which hurts like hell.the lumps are only in my armpits but seem to be getting worse as time goes by and im dreading what they wil be like in the future.
    it actually feels a little better knowing your not the only one who suffers,thanks for your reply :)

iv set up a page on facebook for ppl..its called Hidradenitis suppurativa support ireland

sue800 wrote: »
    sounds like you have it awful bad too,its so unfair that theres not a treatment that can cure this but most doctors are only aware of it recently, some not at all so hopefully in time a cure can be found(fingers crossed).iv not been to see a dermatologist,i feel like its a waste of time to be honest as 3 different doctors and a plastic surgeon have all said theres nothing that can be done.its a horrible thing to live with,ppl who arent effected dont understand..i cant wear sleeveless tops or dresses and am constanly aware of the odour..if i use deodorants it agrivates it so im constantly washing ..even my kids are making comments which hurts like hell.the lumps are only in my armpits but seem to be getting worse as time goes by and im dreading what they wil be like in the future.
    it actually feels a little better knowing your not the only one who suffers,thanks for your reply :)

Hi Sue,
    Glad you found us, and you are most definitely not alone on this.
    I had tried the traditional doctors for years, and got nowhere (after a lot of prescriptions for antibiotics etc). However, i have to say that since i saw a dermatologist (about 2 years ago) my HS and life in general have improved enormously. Give the derm a go : you have nothing to lose and imho, a lot to potentially gain. Many doctors like gps etc, wouldnt necessarily be aware of some of the newer treatments available. If your derm is anyway on top of his/her game, they will at least offer you some options.

As for general washing and hygeine, have you tried HibiScrub? (It is widely available in most pharmacies etc). I started using it recently (like you, a normal deodarant would irritate etc) and it most defnitiely helps me.

Regards

sue800 wrote: »
    iv set up a page on facebook for ppl..its called Hidradenitis suppurativa support ireland

Hi Sue800.
    Couldn't find the facebook page, but found a bunch of others.

I have been following HS since my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with it. Jesus it is rotten.

While it's good to have some forum connections in Ireland, I have found the UK HS Friends forum to be very helpful.

http://hsf-uk.find-forum.net/

"Helpful" is a bit of a subjective terms when considered in terms of HS.

Keep the chin up.

@PorridgeHead,

Thanks for posting that link.

Here are a few other good info sites on HS:

1) The British Association for HS:
    http://www.ba-hs.org.uk/

2) The New Zealand assocation:
    http://dermnetnz.org/acne/hidradenitis-suppurativa.html
    NOTE: the DermetNZ page opens up directly onto some gruesome images of the condition,

3) There is/was a crowd called the HS Foundation (HSF.org). That was an excellent source of info. Thier site appears to be down at the minute so i wont post a link.

Hope everybody is as pain-free as possible.

Hi Sue800.
    Couldn't find the facebook page, but found a bunch of others.

I have been following HS since my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with it. Jesus it is rotten.

While it's good to have some forum connections in Ireland, I have found the UK HS Friends forum to be very helpful.

http://hsf-uk.find-forum.net/

"Helpful" is a bit of a subjective terms when considered in terms of HS.

Keep the chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hwayte

Hi everyone. I've just spent the last hour reading throught this thread. I have not been diagnosed with HS but for at least 2 years now (I'd say probably more like 3 or more actually.. can't remember when it started!) there is an area in my groin which regularly swells up and what I thought was just a nuisance of a spot which wouldn't go away. After a particularly bad swelling the past week, it only occurred to me to look this up online today and given what I've seen it really does seem to be something similar. I will occasionally get swelling in one armpit too but no boils.

To those of you who have it - did it get worse over a long drawn out period of time? I'm quite worried about it now but if I'm honest I'm only 24, living on my own and in no position to be spending all my wages on doctors visits and meds. From experience, the swelling usually goes away so I tend to just put up with it while it's there but if it's likely to get worse and worse over time then perhaps I ought to see someone about it :(

hwayte wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I've just spent the last hour reading throught this thread. I have not been diagnosed with HS but for at least 2 years now (I'd say probably more like 3 or more actually.. can't remember when it started!) there is an area in my groin which regularly swells up and what I thought was just a nuisance of a spot which wouldn't go away. After a particularly bad swelling the past week, it only occurred to me to look this up online today and given what I've seen it really does seem to be something similar. I will occasionally get swelling in one armpit too but no boils.

To those of you who have it - did it get worse over a long drawn out period of time? I'm quite worried about it now but if I'm honest I'm only 24, living on my own and in no position to be spending all my wages on doctors visits and meds. From experience, the swelling usually goes away so I tend to just put up with it while it's there but if it's likely to get worse and worse over time then perhaps I ought to see someone about it :(

@ hwayte,
    To answer your first query, might i suggest you talk to your gp, who may then refer you to a dermatologist. It is the derm who will be able to confirm HS or give you a different diagnosis.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

To any HS people currently taking the class of drugs called TNF-inhibitors (Remicade/Infliximab; etanercept (Enbrel) etc), the US FDA have updated their warnings regarding taking these drugs and the inherent risks of associated bacterial infections:

from this site:
    http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/risk-for-new-infections-with-tnf-blockers-reported/article/211438/

The existing boxed warnings on all tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibiting drugs will be updated to reflect risk for infection with the bacteria Legionella and Listeria, the FDA announced.

These pathogens have caused more than 100 infections in people taking TNF-alpha blockers including infliximab (Remicade), etanercept (Enbrel), adalimumab (Humira), certolizumab pegol (Cimzia) and golimumab (Simponi).

“The risks and the benefits of the TNF-alpha blockers should be considered prior to initiating therapy in patients with chronic or recurrent infection and patients with underlying conditions that may predispose them to infection,” the FDA wrote in a drug safety communication.

TNF-alpha inhibitors are used to treat patients with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, plaque psoriasis and/or juvenile idiopathic arthritis.

Serious infections with bacterial, mycobacterial, fungal, viral, parasitic and other opportunistic pathogens are a known risk factor associated with this class of drugs.

Between 1999 and 2010, the FDA received reports of 80 cases of Legionella pneumonia and 14 deaths after patients took a TNF-alpha inhibitor, most commonly for rheumatoid arthritis.

Median TNF-alpha inhibitor treatment lasted for 10.4 months, with infections occurring as early as one month and as late as 73 months after initiating treatment. Many reported cases involved concurrent treatment with methotrexate and corticosteroids.

The FDA has also received reports of 26 cases of serious Listeria monocytogenes infection, encompassing meningitis, endophthalmitis, bacteremia and sepsis among patients taking TNF-alpha inhibitors. There were seven deaths. Additional cases of Listeria are also occurring in clinical trials of the drugs, the agency warned.

Clinicians should monitor patients taking TNF-alpha inhibitors for signs and symptoms of serious infection and should report any adverse events associated with the medication to the MedWatch Safety Database. Patients older than 65 years are at increased risk for infection, the FDA warned.

Advertisement