Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can A tenant change a hob without telling landlord?

• 05-08-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Long story short my sisters tenant complained twice about a problem with their hob. The hob was checked twice by an appliance repair guy and she was told both times it was working fine. The repair guy gave my sister his view that the impression he got was that the tenant wanted a new hob.

Today my sister gets a message to say the tenant had someone in and has replaced the hob without her consent or knowledge and is now looking for the cost of all. My sister asked me my advice but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No, if they replaced it and didn't get permission then they can pay for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No. Not without the landlords permission.
    And considering the LL has already had the hob checked Then the tenant is taking the pi55.

Now. On the other hand, what condition is the current hob in?
    Is it an old hob that’s in bits?

I’d love to see a photo of it because I’ve seen some hobs in houses that I wouldn’t give away for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Speaking as a landlord, the tenant is bang out of order here. It would be different if the tenant complained multiple times and the landlord did nothing, but that's not the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

Who installed the new hob? Was it an electrician or the tenant themselves?
    I'd have it checked by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No reduction on the re t, as it was changed without permission/after the landlord went to the expense of getting it checked.
    Also, new hob must remain in property when tenants vacates..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No reduction on the re t, as it was changed without permission/after the landlord went to the expense of getting it checked.
    Also, new hob must remain in property when tenants vacates..

not necessarily. My landlord wouldn't be one for throwing money about , we had a lot of very very cheap / old appliances in the house and no prospect of them getting changed. Ive a really good free standing cooker , fridge, dishwasher and a few other bits.

Luckily we have outbuildings to store the old ones and no modification to the building was needed to fit the new ones, but the old ones will be going back in when I leave.

I do agree however the landlord shouldn't have to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Electrical stuff generally doesn''t survive damp out buildings and garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Long story short my sisters tenant complained twice about a problem with their hob. The hob was checked twice by an appliance repair guy and she was told both times it was working fine. The repair guy gave my sister his view that the impression he got was that the tenant wanted a new hob.

Today my sister gets a message to say the tenant had someone in and has replaced the hob without her consent or knowledge and is now looking for the cost of all. My sister asked me my advice but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

How much is a new hob? I think it would be less costly than sending in a repair guy twice?

I think you really only realise if a hob is working correctly by cooking on it, sometimes there is power to it and it appears to heat up, but is useless. Usually there is a basis for a complaint and repair guys often miss the issue.

I would probably pay for it if they used a reasonable cost model and give the tenant a stern talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

davindub wrote: »
    How much is a new hob? I think it would be less costly than sending in a repair guy twice?

I think you really only realise if a hob is working correctly by cooking on it, sometimes there is power to it and it appears to heat up, but is useless. Usually there is a basis for a complaint and repair guys often miss the issue.

I would probably pay for it if they used a reasonable cost model and give the tenant a stern talking to.

We recently got a new hob and oven for €250, including installation. Not exactly top of the range but they're new and clean and work well.

I would think a repair man visit would be 50-60 call out fee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Fair play to the tenant a lot of people in rental accommodation wouldn't even a light bulb. Never good when a ll is relying on an internet forum for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Fair play to the tenant a lot of people in rental accommodation wouldn't even a light bulb. Never good when a ll is relying on an internet forum for advice.

The OP has a question they don’t know the answer to, and is getting different perspectives here, what’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Hmmm. In this case the hob was deemed perfectly functional by a professional serviceman. Maybe the landlord won't mind if the person wanted to install a new hob at their own expense (still should get permission before altering somebody else's property), but if they tried to deduct it from rent owed, well given the situation presented, its totally unacceptable.

I'm neither a tenant or a landlord. I'm paying a mortgage on my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tenant completely out of order. But you now have a problem. Where is the original. And will the tenant take this hob with them when they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I rely on Internet forums for all kinds of advice, it’s often the quickest and simplest resource, often you get advice from people who work in the sector you require advice on, or have experience of the same problem. I used a different forum last night to fix a jammed ice maker, Tuesday evening I had a small issue with an Orbi mesh network system, Internet forums are great for advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ginger83 wrote: »
    my sisters tenant complained twice about a problem with their hob.
    Never good when a ll is relying on an internet forum for advice.

must read slower.

Absolutely totally out of order, refuse to pay and look at moving on the tenant at the next possible chance as you don’t want this type of tenant who you don’t know what they will do next and expect you to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

We recently got a new hob and oven for €250, including installation. Not exactly top of the range but they're new and clean and work well.

I would think a repair man visit would be 50-60 call out fee anyway.

Electricians I think are generally more for a call out, I have paid 120 for a call out and 1st hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

This tenant is actually worse. The ll sounds like a good ll given he has had a appliance repair guy inspect it twice. I suspect the second time was to only appease the tenant given no issues were found. The fact the tenant went out and replaced it without the ll permission is terrible. The fact they then ask for the money back is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Your getting both extremes in the responses, I would do the following. Assuming the tenant is a good tenant, I would suggest to them it was foolish to go and purchase without speaking to your sister, especially when it was checked out twice already. But as someone mentioned, it might be an intermittent issue, and if you don't have a cooker working when you need it, that would fairly drive you round the bend each evening after work. Confirm that the hob will be left there if they leave house, and if that is agreed, offer to pay 1/2 the cost of the new hob.

bamayang wrote: »
    Your getting both extremes in the responses, I would do the following. Assuming the tenant is a good tenant, I would suggest to them it was foolish to go and purchase without speaking to your sister, especially when it was checked out twice already. But as someone mentioned, it might be an intermittent issue, and if you don't have a cooker working when you need it, that would fairly drive you round the bend each evening after work. Confirm that the hob will be left there if they leave house, and if that is agreed, offer to pay 1/2 the cost of the new hob.

Why show weakness, refuse to pay. What will they buy next and expect a contribution. Tenant needs to be taught a lesson.

• Advertisement

Would be interesting to see if they’ve upgraded from a ceramic job to induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Where is the old hob? Why doesn't ll keep it, and tell the tenant to take the hob they bought with them when they move. It's their property.
    Assuming that the old hob is working and the ll gives in to the tenant, they'll walk all over her.

bamayang wrote: »

Completely disagree with this.
    -Never assume a tenant is good(good is in the eyes of the beholder), What does your sister think of this Tenant, I have my own assumptions of this type of tenant as i have experienced similar types in the past but i could be wrong.
    -The ll paid and did what is required of them by getting a professional out to inspect the cooker - both times were fine.
    -The tenant went ahead without the ll permission to replace a working cooker - not good. Why did the tenant call the ll twice before and since they are not happy with the response, they did their own thing - by you giving into their demands, it can lead to more "requests"
    -The tenant doesnt own the property and has no right to do what they did. The tenant should have called the ll if there is an issue and not go rogue. If the issue is intermittent, the tenant could have recorded it. The fact the issue cant be reproduced in anyway leaves doubt in my head.
    -Even though you could probably expense this and get circa 50pc back. I dont like tenants that do stuff independently of asking me first. I have seen some very extreme cases of this and im very firm as a result.
    -You should now be keeping the receipt of the cooker in case of issues, you should now own the new cooker given what they have done. If they did not use an approved electrician, i would be charging them to get in your electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Didnt take long for the attacks on the evil landlord I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If my tenant went and changed a hob in my house I'd be pretty annoyed. First of all WHO fitted it and have they the correct qualifications to do so? A gas hob needs to be installed by a registered gas installer, electric by a RECI spark etc. Insurance could be deemed null and void if there was a fire resulting from the hob being installed incorrectly. I speak from experience on this matter, my gas hob was incorrectly done, my fault for getting a nixer, and the gas engineer was less than impressed when he saw it.

Next, if the tenant had a working hob, they should not be replacing it. If the they wanted a new hob, fair enough but an agreement between both parties needs to be drawn up. EG proper installation, proper storage of the existing hob and an agreement on what happens the new hob when the tenant moves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Ask for the minor works certificate for the electrical work that was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a landlord I would be p*ssed that they went ahead and did it without talking to me. I certainly wouldn't be paying for it and would be concerned if the work was done right.

During the lockdown the lawnmower in my rental house died. They contacted me and we agreed that they would identify a new one and let me know if I was good with it, buy it, send me an image of the receipt and deduct it from the next month's rent. No big deal, it got sorted quickly and everyone was happy.

There is the danger of not keeping the tenant on side and paying rent.

Not advocating letting them walk all over you but this could escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

As a tenant, I'd never do something like this, it's way out of order (assuming that the story is correct as told)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There is the danger of not keeping the tenant on side and paying rent.

Not advocating letting them walk all over you but this could escalate.

Your right but at the same time. I can’t let someone take advantage of a situation of their own doing given the sister did as much as she could do. Calmly outline what you have done to remedy the situation. And outline that you are unable to pay for the new cooker given your maintenance guy was unable to detect an issue and you did something without agreeing it first.

Advertisement