Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Alana123

Would I get a higher starting pay if I have a degree? 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

Yes, 3 or 4 points up the scale if it was a 4 year full time degree. unsure of any other specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Deano.f87 wrote: »
    You'll be starting on about €31k plus shift allowance on the normal roster, which is worth about €5-6k per year so that's about €36/7k starting out plus any overtime you do. At your age you'll be on €48k plus shift allowance by 36, if you start at 28. so compare that to your current situation. I keep thinking its a job for life no risk of redundancy solid pension pay rise every year. But Im older so I don't think I'd want to wait any longer than next year. Itd be hard to leave a good job for a job where you may never progress or at least where its extremely difficult to go up the ranks. Imagine being 50 and working that roster will you do and is it worth the wait....

Yea and I’v a degree aswel so even slightly quicker,
    Well there is three types of Garda , ones that join to make a difference , ones that join for the benefits (family health insurance, mortgages, pension etc) , and the last a mix between the two,
    I feel the closer I got to 30 the less appealing the job would be, personally,
    Be a lot of people soul searching if this continues for the foreseeable future

St. Westy wrote: »
    Yea and I’v a degree aswel so even slightly quicker,
    Well there is three types of Garda , ones that join to make a difference , ones that join for the benefits (family health insurance, mortgages, pension etc) , and the last a mix between the two,
    I feel the closer I got to 30 the less appealing the job would be, personally,
    Be a lot of people soul searching if this continues for the foreseeable future

Yeah might be hard to work with people your own age who have already 10 years done. But if its what you always wanted and think you'd love it you can always leave it there are plenty of jobs that suit ex guards who have degrees and some experience beforehand. anyway time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 4572h

Any hopes for Friday ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

4572h wrote: »
    Any hopes for Friday ��

Always :)

There’s enough depression and stress going around as is, I’m going to cling onto my optimism. Head down, arse up and we’ll light another candle for another Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

Emailed Dublin today got the same multi tiered email.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    Emailed Dublin today got the same multi tiered email.

Same as that! I actually hadn’t emailed in about a month was really getting my hopes up for different response this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Corry21

This message is from an EXTERNAL SENDER - be cautious, particularly with links and attachments.

That is what is said at the bottom of emails big red writing from appointment this suggest to me they are working from home so the will be no updated vetting files status will remain the same as it was at last intake otherwise you would have started

was chatting an inspector this morning, and he was like 'Govt are putting in plans to get things moving in Q4 of this year, There are, and will continue to be, retirements in the force as well a commitment to strengthen numbers. So sit tight - you will be called'
    Only hearsay but maybe its not far from the truth :rolleyes::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

was chatting an inspector this morning, and he was like 'Govt are putting in plans to get things moving in Q4 of this year, There are, and will continue to be, retirements in the force as well a commitment to strengthen numbers. So sit tight - you will be called'
    Only hearsay but maybe its not far from the truth :rolleyes::cool:

I’ve had similar chats with inspectors and supers and they all said September will be a big month! Hopefully they’re right

I’ve had similar chats with inspectors and supers and they all said September will be a big month! Hopefully they’re right

Same from this side guys - local guy I'm on great terms with told me (about two weeks ago) to sit tight, that things would be moving in a month hopefully, so aim for September.

We'll get there guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

intake 201 has returned to templemore for their 16 weeks training. due to the current covid restrictions only that intake is allowed into the college as every student must have their own en suite room and not all rooms are ensuite in the college only a small number of students can be accommodated for at a time. after the 16 weeks, the 193's are due back for a few weeks which at the moment could be put off to be done online as they only have a couple of weeks to do, my own intake the 202's are then due back for 16 weeks and then the 203's after us. As it stands both the 202's and 203's may be attested before they return to templemore as they will have the 32 weeks training completed at stations. our 32 weeks will be up in jan and the 203's will have their 32 weeks completed in feb.

Unfortunately the 2nd wave is predicted in october at the peak of flu season and as it stands, questions are already being asked as to the level of training the 202's and 203's can receive as observers to the serving gardai. only 2 gardai can travel in a car as they are stat'd out as a resource on cad. the students are not seen as a resource as they have no powers so they can't travel in the car, they cant sign and stamp forms etc etc and with the tightening of restrictions once again and stricter social distancing it wont be practicable to have unnecessary bodies stood around observing.

my guess is as good as the next man's how it will all pan out but I just wanted to post this to give some people waiting on different parts of the recruitment a heads up as to whats going on. For once it actually doesn't look like the economy will be the problem that halts the recruitment but it's the virus that's running the country for the forseeable future. keeping garda numbers at 15k is still a high priority and when the first wave hit they changed the training process to keep the recruitment going so hopefully they will find another solution to keep it moving but just thats it, hope this gives some people any idea of dates etc

intake 201 has returned to templemore for their 16 weeks training. due to the current covid restrictions only that intake is allowed into the college as every student must have their own en suite room and not all rooms are ensuite in the college only a small number of students can be accommodated for at a time. after the 16 weeks, the 193's are due back for a few weeks which at the moment could be put off to be done online as they only have a couple of weeks to do, my own intake the 202's are then due back for 16 weeks and then the 203's after us. As it stands both the 202's and 203's may be attested before they return to templemore as they will have the 32 weeks training completed at stations. our 32 weeks will be up in jan and the 203's will have their 32 weeks completed in feb.

Unfortunately the 2nd wave is predicted in october at the peak of flu season and as it stands, questions are already being asked as to the level of training the 202's and 203's can receive as observers to the serving gardai. only 2 gardai can travel in a car as they are stat'd out as a resource on cad. the students are not seen as a resource as they have no powers so they can't travel in the car, they cant sign and stamp forms etc etc and with the tightening of restrictions once again and stricter social distancing it wont be practicable to have unnecessary bodies stood around observing.

my guess is as good as the next man's how it will all pan out but I just wanted to post this to give some people waiting on different parts of the recruitment a heads up as to whats going on. For once it actually doesn't look like the economy will be the problem that halts the recruitment but it's the virus that's running the country for the forseeable future. keeping garda numbers at 15k is still a high priority and when the first wave hit they changed the training process to keep the recruitment going so hopefully they will find another solution to keep it moving but just thats it, hope this gives some people any idea of dates etc

Thanks for the info, it’s good to see some sort of progression for the ‘intakees’, we’d all be grateful if you kept us updated with any other info you may hear over time

Thanks for the info, it’s good to see some sort of progression for the ‘intakees’, we’d all be grateful if you kept us updated with any other info you may hear over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 4572h

Thanks for that I wonder what they're going to do about all the retirements due they can't just keep pushing them back on people.

Finally some good updates.
    Thanks for that. If the current trainees are going back in to templemore that means there's space for more people to start their training if they keep the current training method. Or am I reading it wrong. Seems positive. This 2nd wave will be crazy because normal flu symptoms will all need to be tested itll be carnage.

I just to spoke to a good friend of mine today who’s a 193, he told me they’re not going back to Templemore at all now, that he was told he was staying where he was any any additional training/lectures/etc will be done via e-learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

I just to spoke to a good friend of mine today who’s a 193, he told me they’re not going back to Templemore at all now, that he was told he was staying where he was any any additional training/lectures/etc will be done via e-learning.

God it's all over the parish isn't it, we need official correspondence from AGS to explain exactly what's going on

Yeah see I'm not 100% on the length the 193's have of training left to do but I think it was around a couple of weeks or so thats all. They were almost finished when they got rushed through so it would probably be the most sensible thing to just not bother bringing them down for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure of the numbers in the 201 intake. I think it is 95 cause the 202s and 203s are definitely 75 students each but with all the restrictions going on there is no way they could bring down the 201s and 202s and have them in templemore together. When we done the week there it was very strict on social distancing. Even in the canteen different groups got set times to eat and each person got a table. If you actually look at a few of those YouTube videos of the college life before all covid theres loads of people on top of each other in the canteen its mad how much has changed. Somebody posted that the 201s going back would make more room for students. I can see your thinking but if hr do or not is another story. Hopefully they do. The 201s have their powers cause they were attested so they're actually a resource. It's the students that are for want of a better way of putting it is like tits on a bull lol. We do get involved as much as we can and to be fair none of the serving gardai see us as in the way, quite the opposite infact. They're happy out having people with them to show you how it's done and the majority of the public dont spot the blue eppulattes anyways so as far as they're concerned theres 2 guards on beat and all that craic, it's just the government guidelines that are going to dictate how it will pan out. The 201s going back still might not make room for another 75 people that cant really do anything and is just another body in the way of social distancing. I'll post on this what I hear over the next few weeks anyways to keep ye updated but for now it's all a guessing game.

• Advertisement

I just want to post this as well for anyone doubting it will work out for them. I was 35 in April. I done the medical a few days before they announced that templemore was to be closed to become a hospital and if it would ever open again. I finished school in 2004 got a trade but always wanted the guards and between recessions, failed attempts at the Recruitment campaigns over the years and now covid I still got in so keep the faith. Its a torture checking the phone every Friday and wondering if it will ever happen but it will. 100% it will just keep chugging away at it and it will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Yeah see I'm not 100% on the length the 193's have of training left to do but I think it was around a couple of weeks or so thats all. They were almost finished when they got rushed through so it would probably be the most sensible thing to just not bother bringing them down for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure of the numbers in the 201 intake. I think it is 95 cause the 202s and 203s are definitely 75 students each but with all the restrictions going on there is no way they could bring down the 201s and 202s and have them in templemore together. When we done the week there it was very strict on social distancing. Even in the canteen different groups got set times to eat and each person got a table. If you actually look at a few of those YouTube videos of the college life before all covid theres loads of people on top of each other in the canteen its mad how much has changed. Somebody posted that the 201s going back would make more room for students. I can see your thinking but if hr do or not is another story. Hopefully they do. The 201s have their powers cause they were attested so they're actually a resource. It's the students that are for want of a better way of putting it is like tits on a bull lol. We do get involved as much as we can and to be fair none of the serving gardai see us as in the way, quite the opposite infact. They're happy out having people with them to show you how it's done and the majority of the public dont spot the blue eppulattes anyways so as far as they're concerned theres 2 guards on beat and all that craic, it's just the government guidelines that are going to dictate how it will pan out. The 201s going back still might not make room for another 75 people that cant really do anything and is just another body in the way of social distancing. I'll post on this what I hear over the next few weeks anyways to keep ye updated but for now it's all a guessing game.

Thanks for all the updates that’s very helpful and nice to hear come good info! I’m waiting on PCTs to start again

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sugar378

Corry21 wrote: »
    Everyone will be different ill be carrying over my pension and service for DF so ill wait

How much service and pension do you carry over from the DF if you make the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Corry21

Sugar378 wrote: »
    How much service and pension do you carry over from the DF if you make the switch?
    Depends on what year /contract you joined I was 07 so 3/4 of service and bo on pre 2013 Garda pension

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sugar378

Corry21 wrote: »
    Depends on what year /contract you joined I was 07 so 3/4 of service and bo on pre 2013 Garda pension

And again so you have 13 years done how does that work on garda pay scale? After 2 years of the training period do you jump right up to about year 7 of the garda pay?

just in relation to anyone waiting for fitness tests, they are starting up very soon, the office that runs them is returning the 31st of this month, so get out training if you arent already :cool:

probably get 4 weeks notice first week of september or something like that :D delighted to finally get some info:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

That's good to hear, any sort of movement like that is progress for everyone else...Where did you hear this do you mind me asking?

SquireD wrote: »
    That's good to hear, any sort of movement like that is progress for everyone else...Where did you hear this do you mind me asking?

just through a reliable source, same source that gave me the info about the first of the online classes ;) and that was correct, offers came out the day after i broke the news on here :P never get anything from HR so havta go deeper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

just through a reliable source, same source that gave me the info about the first of the online classes ;) and that was correct, offers came out the day after i broke the news on here :P never get anything from HR so havta go deeper :pac:

Haha fair play...hard to get reliable sources on here! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

just in relation to anyone waiting for fitness tests, they are starting up very soon, the office that runs them is returning the 31st of this month, so get out training if you arent already :cool:

probably get 4 weeks notice first week of september or something like that :D delighted to finally get some info:cool:

Thank you for that really appreciate it!!!

Advertisement