Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone ever seen a modular home significantly less than traditional build and mee

• 12-08-2020 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

My father has this great idea that he’s going to cash in and downsize to a modular home.
    I’ve yet to see this being done properly in Ireland but father thinks that if he can’t get an off the shelf solution that he can retrofit “something” to meet Irish building regs. He’s a retired carpenter by trade so expects to do this himself.

Has anyone seen this done?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope. Haven’t come across one yet.
    Ask yourself, if there was such a thing, why haven’t the big contractors begun doing it ?????

• Subscribers Posts: 40,966 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ask your father how he is going to design, calculate and certify a thermal bridging factor of 0.08 with his retrofit works??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ask your father how he is going to design, calculate and certify a thermal bridging factor of 0.08 with his retrofit works??

That’s not the hard part, thermal bridging can be retrofitted quite easy these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Gumbo wrote: »
    Ask yourself, if there was such a thing, why haven’t the big contractors begun doing it ?????

That’s what I’ve been saying for years. A few years ago we were being told that modular homes were going to be the “new normal” for building houses. Close to ten years now and they have made almost no impact.

They are certainly being built, here is one example:

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/modular-housing-project-in-westside-ready-to-take-families-out-of-emergency-accommodation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Spring Celebrator

<SNIP>
    Over 300 build in Ireland. They have open presentations few times a year with offices in one them houses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

At what cost?

The article also mentions an intended lifespan of 5 years.

Graham wrote: »
    At what cost?

The article also mentions an intended lifespan of 5 years.

No idea of the cost, and I don’t necessary agree with building them myself over proper houses but they are being built.

I have passed this development linked and while they claim a 5 year lifespan they will be there for years to come if you saw the work on landscaping etc around them it look like a long term setup.

I've no doubt modular homes are being built and I don't see anything inherently wrong with modular building if it's to the same standard as any other construction types.

I think the point everyone has struggled with so far is; for less than the cost of a traditional build.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where is he going to put this modular home?? Buy a site?
    Better off self building a small home in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not exactly answering your question, but companies like Hus Haus in Germany manufacture timber framed houses, they have a good selection of designs, sizes etc. Once slab is in situ they deliver and erect structure complete with windows, doors, internal & external etc. etc.
    I've no idea of cost, but seeing that your father is a carpenter he may be interested.
    M

monseiur wrote: »
    Not exactly answering your question, but companies like Hus Haus in Germany manufacture timber framed houses, they have a good selection of designs, sizes etc. Once slab is in situ they deliver and erect structure complete with windows, doors, internal & external etc. etc.
    I've no idea of cost, but seeing that your father is a carpenter he may be interested.
    M

Assuming you're talking about Huf Haus, not cheaper than a traditional build.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because they do not have the available capital to invest in the construction of a facility to manufacture the modules. Developers have prioritised land banks and the contractors are focused on winning contracts for construction. Investing capital to create factories for offsite construction would have required the foresight to predict the need for future housing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Marcusm wrote: »
    Because they do not have the available capital to invest in the construction of a facility to manufacture the modules. Developers have prioritised land banks and the contractors are focused on winning contracts for construction. Investing capital to create factories for offsite construction would have required the foresight to predict the need for future housing.

Like Timber frame???

Advertisement