Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is needed?

• 10-01-2020 4:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

I know someone who's looking to rent in Dublin and they're trying to get prepared. What do landlords look for when you want to rent their house or apartment? They need work and previous landlord references, what else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I recently sold a property that I had let out. I got literally hundreds of enquiries in a few days. Most of the enquiries just said something like "is this available" and nothing else. In a sea of applications that will not make you stand out. Tell your friend to write a personalised message giving details on who they are (student/professional family etc) and where they work, that they have work references ready to go and the deposit etc. Basically even at enquiry stage they should be selling themselves.

Some people we saw came with work and landlord references ready to go (which was great) and that's the main thing we were looking for and asked the tenants to provide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Trevorclever

Woshy wrote: »
    I recently sold a property that I had let out. I got literally hundreds of enquiries in a few days. Most of the enquiries just said something like "is this available" and nothing else. In a sea of applications that will not make you stand out. Tell your friend to write a personalised message giving details on who they are (student/professional family etc) and where they work, that they have work references ready to go and the deposit etc. Basically even at enquiry stage they should be selling themselves.

Some people we saw came with work and landlord references ready to go (which was great) and that's the main thing we were looking for and asked the tenants to provide.

Good advice, thanks. I'll pass it on. What if someone had a good job but was living at home and not renting, would that put you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

- letter from employer confirming current employment
    - a recent payslip
    - 1 month deposit ready to go
    - a reference from a previous landlord

A personalised message saying who you are and why you’re looking to rent the property advertised. Make it clear that you have the above items ready to go as part of that message.

That’s it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Trevorclever

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    - letter from employer confirming current employment
    - a recent payslip
    - 1 month deposit ready to go
    - a reference from a previous landlord

A personalised message saying who you are and why you’re looking to rent the property advertised. Make it clear that you have the above items ready to go as part of that message.

That’s it.

Thanks, the only issue is letter from previous landlord. She's lived at home, will this affect her chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks, the only issue is letter from previous landlord. She's lived at home, will this affect her chances?

If that’s the reality just be upfront about it - we all start somewhere. Sometimes people get friends of theirs to provide a fake reference. You shouldn’t do that obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement