Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UDP.exe a virus?

• 19-02-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi guys I was just surfing the web when a dialog box came up and said something like "Could not find C:\\???/%appdata%/temp/upd.exe, please try again" or something similar. The ??? is a directory I can't remember what it said, maybe Program Files?

Upon googling UDP.exe, a lot of malware removal sites came up and said it was highly dangerous and invisible to antivirus scans I should install their tool in order to remove it. Of course these sites could just take any keyword you search and say it's a virus just to get you to install their stupid tool.

My question is, is this a really virus/malware? I run 64-bit Win 8.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Download malwarebytes or spybot search and destroy, do an update then do a full scan

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Should have added, I doubt if it's anything serious, sound like part of the Networking stack to me

Just did a search for a random vtc.exe, otc.exe, uch.exe and all them dodgy sites report it as suspect

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Ok thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Make sure you do a rootkit scan just in case also.

https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

Advertisement