Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seller has a private ad and also estate agent

• 20-11-2020 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi

Just looking for some advice

I viewed a house that I am really interested in via an estate agent.

I loved the house, although it needs a bit of work. The price compared to the work needed is a bit higher than I wanted to go.

So I was toying with the idea of offering 2 grand under asking, which I think is fair considering the place.

Anyway that is grand.... I googled the house the other day to check something else about it, and I found a private ad put up by the seller a week ago for 2 grand under the estate agents price.

Is this common and is it unusual to go directly to the seller in this instance?

Would it be in terrible taste to bypass the estate agent (just in case it did not work out, would that leave a bad taste for future viewings?)

Or am I just overthinking it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I reckon you are overthinking it alright, you don’t owe the seller’s estate agent nothing. You owe it to yourself to get the house you want for the lowest possible price.

I don’t think the estate agent would refuse to deal with you if for some reason or other you end up viewing another place on their books. A few thousands in commission is a far bigger persuader than how you got on with them at another viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The seller would have a contract with the Estate Agent.
    Details of which may include terms relating to what fees are due when the house is sold regardless of who finds the purchaser.

Bid what you think it's worth to you. Factoring what you believe it will cost to "do up".

Use the Estate Agent or contact the seller directly it's your call.
    Going via the Estate Agent may give you some protection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're already viewed via the estate agent I'd imagine you're already considered as 'introduced' by them so any direct approach to the vendor is unlikely to cut-out the EA even if the vendor/EA contract is non-exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Graham wrote: »
    If you're already viewed via the estate agent I'd imagine you're already considered as 'introduced' by them so any direct approach to the vendor is unlikely to cut-out the EA even if the vendor/EA contract is non-exclusive.

Even so the buyer has no contract with EA . I would go straight to the buyer and buy for 2k less. The onus is on the seller to sort out the EA its none of the buyers business what deal they have in place

• Registered Users Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭listermint

AnRothar wrote: »
    The seller would have a contract with the Estate Agent.
    Details of which may include terms relating to what fees are due when the house is sold regardless of who finds the purchaser.

Bid what you think it's worth to you. Factoring what you believe it will cost to "do up".

Use the Estate Agent or contact the seller directly it's your call.
    Going via the Estate Agent may give you some protection.

Arent solicitors what you pay for protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

had few similar viewings earlier in the year, and EA were well aware of the private listings and would of went with what seller listed it for. does no harm as depending on EA, area etc it just doubles exposure, plus theres more options now with online EA's where a fixed fee is agreed, so at the end it makes little to no difference who engages in sale process.

given that after sale agreed its passed to solicitors, ea has little to no use after everything is moved between both parties solicitors to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 943

Hi all!!

Thanks for all the replies. I think we decided to go to the EA but put in the lower offer.

The perks of finding the ad is that at least we know the seller might be willing to go lower, but we will see.

Want to be as transparent as possible and I have to say the EA was great, he was extremely honest with us about the history of the house and past sales... (From the area so know he is not BS ing) so no issue going through him just didn't know what the etiquette was and why a seller would do that.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

943 wrote: »
    Hi all!!

Thanks for all the replies. I think we decided to go to the EA but put in the lower offer.

The perks of finding the ad is that at least we know the seller might be willing to go lower, but we will see.

Want to be as transparent as possible and I have to say the EA was great, he was extremely honest with us about the history of the house and past sales... (From the area so know he is not BS ing) so no issue going through him just didn't know what the etiquette was and why a seller would do that.

Thanks!
    Just one small point that may or may not be relevant
    The seller may have a figure in his head that he wants to walk away with
    So sale price minus solicitor fees and EA fees
    EA fees may be 2k
    So he may accept the lower price from you as it saves him 2k but he may not accept the lower price from the EA
    It should not be a sticking point as it’s only 2k but you can’t legislate for some people’s thinking
    My nephew was recently the highest bidder on a second hand turnkey property
    at 335k
    Vendor had offer accepted on house he was buying
    However the vendor wanted 340k and not a penny less as that is what he valued the house at and would not budge
    Both sales fell through and my nephew bought somewhere else
    You can’t legislate for folk

Advertisement