14-03-2018, 20:13   #1
Ave Sodalis
Journey Before Destination

A woman has sued Castle Leslie after a fall

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...jscHokZiBDX.99

I'm actually furious reading this. I hate the compo culture anyway! She was awarded €52,000 for a bruised backside. You get on a horse, you're going to fall off. It's not a case of if, it's a case of when. It is a risk sport! You'd destroy the whole thing if you start suing for every bump. Yes, it got infected but that's just hard luck. It would be entirely different if they put her on an unbroken youngster and told her it was a 20 year old school master, but every horse spooks at some point. You are also not required to wear a back protector out hacking and it wouldn't have protected her arse anyway!

If Castle Leslie don't appeal, I hope that.... woman.... gets every bit of karma she deserves.

*goes off to breathe and calm down*
Advertisement
14-03-2018, 20:33   #2
TG1

Wow... Yeh not a fan of that outcome at all... If you sit on a half tonne live animal expect to fall. It's simple. We've all been there.

I used to teach beginners and it was nearly a point of pride when they had their first fall...

Judgements like that will put anyone making a livihood from teaching or equestrian tourism at serious serious risk.
(3) thanks from:
15-03-2018, 13:17   #3
Imhof Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Sodalis View Post
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...jscHokZiBDX.99

If Castle Leslie don't appeal, I hope that.... woman.... gets every bit of karma she deserves.

*goes off to breathe and calm down*
Wont be appealed. They admitted liability.

The case was before the court solely for assessing damages; liability was not an issue.
Thanks from:
15-03-2018, 14:26   #4
Ave Sodalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhof Tank View Post
Wont be appealed. They admitted liability.

The case was before the court solely for assessing damages; liability was not an issue.
I wonder why they did that. Would that not make it very difficult for riding centres etc in the future to say that riding is a risk sport, making it easier for people to sue for falls?
Thanks from:
15-03-2018, 20:28   #5
Lady Haywire

Very strange. I was there all last summer and can't think of which horse would have spooked as the yard manager had a wee dachshund who the horses all knew. All riders going out on a trail were trialed in the arena beforehand too, to see if they needed a leader or not- there's always one who bigs themselves up Fecking body protector wouldn't have covered her arse anyway!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2018, 21:05   #6
byhookorbycrook

Oh ffs, horses are animals. We did a few weekends up there with the riding club and the horses were all solid and dependable types.
Thanks from:
20-03-2018, 01:35   #7
Esroh

Was the Dog not an estate Dog. In the present Insurance Company pay don't fight climate it was cheaper to pay than fight a case . As it would be claimed having the dogs running round was a potential hazard.
Thanks from:
20-03-2018, 15:00   #8
isaos

FFS... that drives me nuts... there is definitely something wrong that people can actually get compensation for these kind of claims... like the one that had injured (vaguely) her knee while sitting at a restaurant table, by knocking it against one of the table's legs...
Thanks from:
20-03-2018, 15:15   #9
Lady Haywire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esroh View Post
Was the Dog not an estate Dog. In the present Insurance Company pay don't fight climate it was cheaper to pay than fight a case . As it would be claimed having the dogs running round was a potential hazard.
The only estate dog there was Dillon & he was only allowed in the stableyard. I'd say it was a dog belonging to someone walking around the paths in the forest.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2018, 18:13   #10
Ave Sodalis

To put it into perspective, I know a cob whose first two years of life was in city centre Dublin so he's pretty much as bomb proof as you can get a horse (though admittedly not a riding school horse because he was broke by the owners who had him in Dublin so has a cheeky streak). The odd time he would jump a bit at something, but when he does, it's usually something that would make even me jump. The one and only time he's genuinely spooked and took off at something was when a dog came barking around the corner of a house that didn't usually have a dog at. Now he's perfect with dogs, he's even used to chase off loose dogs out hacking because them barking doesn't bother him. He's not bothered when a dog comes barking out of a house he knows there's a dog at, or a house he's never passed. This just happened to be a house that he passed for the last about 13 years at the time, that he knew didn't have a dog so he was not expecting it at all. He never took off in fright before that, he's never taken off in fright since.

Even police horse's spook...
11-05-2019, 09:11   #11
puppieperson1
Banned

new people dont understand the unwritten rules of horse riding and hunting on farmers land you take the risk you dont sue . You are responsible for the level of riding you have declared you are capable of. A horse is a live animal not an object. These people ruin everything we had an idiot trying to sue the hunt cos she fell off. The foxhounds association rallied around us flexed their muscles and she dropped her case. (She had a no fee no foal lawyer) She was a bad rider FACT and should not have thought she could ride accross country jumping walls and ditches.
Old equestrian people abhor this behaviour which only comes with the NEW people whose only reason they bought a horse is cos they got some NEW money. Appalling awful types I wish they all just go away.
(3) thanks from:
11-05-2019, 09:22   #12
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppieperson1 View Post
new people dont understand the unwritten rules of horse riding and hunting on farmers land you take the risk you dont sue . You are responsible for the level of riding you have declared you are capable of. A horse is a live animal not an object. These people ruin everything we had an idiot trying to sue the hunt cos she fell off. The foxhounds association rallied around us flexed their muscles and she dropped her case. (She had a no fee no foal lawyer) She was a bad rider FACT and should not have thought she could ride accross country jumping walls and ditches.
Old equestrian people abhor this behaviour which only comes with the NEW people whose only reason they bought a horse is cos they got some NEW money. Appalling awful types I wish they all just go away.
Not only 'new people' Know of someone involved in equestrian activities since a kid - went out on an organised event - took a jump and fell off. Blamed the horse being ridden in front and is now sueing the organisers. Complete tool tbh.
(2) thanks from:
11-05-2019, 20:22   #13
ILoveYourVibes

Good lord someone should have told her these things happen falling is a part of riding ...unfortunately.

Anyway ..at least she's alive ..foolish but living

Last edited by ILoveYourVibes; 11-05-2019 at 20:27.
Thanks from:
11-05-2019, 20:24   #14
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
Good lord someone should have told her these things happen falling is a part of riding ...unfortunately.
I'd say the message has sank in after a year.
(3) thanks from:
11-05-2019, 20:26   #15

A rotten bitch. If there's a drop of karma she'll get a more serious injury doing something with her ill gotten gains.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion