Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chess Rapid Online league

• 29-09-2020 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Any chance of getting something like this sorted?

We are all going stir-crazy and need some chess!!!

Actually on lichess they deem even 30+0 "classical" which is pushing the boundaries, but anything like that might still be worth investigating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Joedryan wrote: »
    Any chance of getting something like this sorted?

We are all going stir-crazy and need some chess!!!

Actually on lichess they deem even 30+0 "classical" which is pushing the boundaries, but anything like that might still be worth investigating.

Playing chess online compared to in real tournaments is like playing pitch and putt instead of golf or pool instead of snooker. I play a lot of blitz online but don't take it seriously enough as to want to play in online competitions of any sort. This Covid crisis has really become a major pain in the butt and looks set to continue probably until the start of 2022 the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

I suggested something similar on another thread so I’m definitely ‘game’ for that. I did speak with someone about the possibility so we shall have to wait and see. Certainly the Hibernian online league in the summer worked quite well I thought. As has been said OTB chess is the real deal and online a poor second but I’ll take a poor second as I agree we’re probably going to be limited with this Covid business most of next year. I can’t see Dublin coming out of phase 3 after three weeks, more likely 4-6 so hopefully the CoD will still be a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Easiest thing in the world if there are all-play-all groups of 6 or something. 5 consecutive Thursdays or whatever. (Maybe allow the two players to refix for another day in the same week if mutually agreeable.) It doesn't take much organisation: the ICU will happily post a flyer and take entries. Organisation amounts to once-off posting a fixture list with lichess names here; one person from each group could collate the results and update a thread here. If ye want it, go make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

One thing would be to agree on the time limit, the 4NCL is 45 mins + 15 sec increment.

That is a very awkward time limit for me, as I tend to think for ages thinking I have loads of time and then end up in time trouble always.

Maybe something 30 mins + 5 sec increment?

Also not publishing the games in the databases would be good as we can get to try out various stuff

Getting it organised not sure I have the will or the energy at the moment but we can see further down the line...

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Playing chess online compared to in real tournaments is like playing pitch and putt instead of golf or pool instead of snooker. I play a lot of blitz online but don't take it seriously enough as to want to play in online competitions of any sort. This Covid crisis has really become a major pain in the butt and looks set to continue probably until the start of 2022 the way things are going.

Not many updates on this forum, hope everybody keeping ok, chess will come back, eventually, I think ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Not many updates on this forum, hope everybody keeping ok, chess will come back, eventually, I think ;)

Watching the Man U and Liverpool matches last weekend cheered me up enormously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I played in the Cork Congress last weekend. Numbers were low enough that they merged the 1200-1600 and 1600+ sections, so the standard of opponent varied wildly. I found the time control a bit too short in the games where I was second favourite. I'll be glad of a real game sometime soon though. I cleaned my oven during one opponent's long think, and that's not right.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Watching the Man U and Liverpool matches last weekend cheered me up enormously :pac:

:) early days

Advertisement