Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s not essential but I think you would get a lot more out of this series going in if you’ve watched clone wars before hand. There’s already loads of deep cuts in there. But balanced really well so you don’t miss out if you don’t know the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NIMAN wrote: »
    So what percentage of people in the UK who have been looking forward to this show will be watching it for the 1st time in March 2020 when it launches?

I'd say about 1%.

Weird right

And I'm actually a DisneyLife subscriber. Was actually shocked to heer existing subscribers wouldn't a) Get the new content through that existing platform in the meantime and b) have no way to have any sort of access to the new platform until general release

But you know, I'm sure I'm watching the same way everyone else is watching it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

TheDoc wrote: »
    Weird right

And I'm actually a DisneyLife subscriber. Was actually shocked to heer existing subscribers wouldn't a) Get the new content through that existing platform in the meantime and b) have no way to have any sort of access to the new platform until general release

And companies wonder why piracy is so prevalent...GOT is the best example...Where i lived at the time Sky wasn't an option

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Mandalorian has already broken a Pirate Bay record for downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's hard to judge after just 38 minutes but I thought it was a decent, solid opener. Nothing too spectacular which is probably the best way to go at it.

As for
    the little Yoda baby, I have to say I just laughed at it. Could they not have come up with something that didn't instantly remind you of bleedin Gizmo from Gremlins!

Some of the music was a bit odd but in general I thought it was fine. I just hope they're not going to stick with standard Star Wars desert planet for the whole series.

• Advertisement

So is the mando force sensitive?
    The way he calms that beast and then touches fingers with the baby at the end?

So is the mando force sensitive?
    The way he calms that beast and then touches fingers with the baby at the end?
    The Mando is going to be Rey's father just you wait

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The Mando is going to be Rey's father just you wait

I wouldn’t be averse to that.
    Endless screaming on here by some about star wars not building in in universe cross connections enough (when in fact there’s nothing but in universe cross connections and those people complaining just don’t actually take the time to watch or read it all)

Could be a goer. Especially when you see that knife she’s holding in the trailer. Bounty hunter would have at least one knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It was a grand start, nothing too spectacular. Thought it would be longer than 38 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe it's a THX 1138 reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

I really enjoyed that. Loved the visuals, loved the music. Overall very good. This has massive potential to be huge....

Nazis used to stamp their stolen gold with the swastika

Nice touch. There’s many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

TheDoc wrote: »

But you know, I'm sure I'm watching the same way everyone else is watching it.....

Funnily enough, I went about it the most above board way I could, which is actually still highly frowned upon, so I might as well have gone the way of the rest of Europe. Unless one happens to be Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unearthly wrote: »
    It was a grand start, nothing too spectacular. Thought it would be longer than 38 minutes

Agree with this.
    I expected to see many gushing reviews of it, but it was a little disappointing if I'm honest.

Too short for one thing.

But its only the start. I hope it will kick on and turn into essential viewing.

Although the costumes, sets etc all excellent, agree about how 'clean' the locations were. Not grimy, dusty, dirty enough. Also thought his helmet should have had more damage to match his suit. More like Boba Fett's. Make it look like he's had an interesting back story.

Thought it was a decent opener. Few nitpicks with the action. Why did he pull his gun when that random guy entered the room. I don't think you'd be getting your arm back if it was caught in a hippos mouth. Last action scene was fairly Marvel-esque with infinite amount of baddies unable to hit anything. I guess I'll just have to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Last action scene was fairly Marvel-esque with infinite amount of baddies unable to hit anything. I guess I'll just have to accept that.

Pretty much like Stormtroopers with their bad aim. I enjoyed it and really looking forward to the rest of the season

So the dirt isn’t dirty enough and it was too short. Seriously?

The only clean thing in the episode is his helmet. And you’re going to be with this character for a while. Longer than a Star Wars trilogy runtime in fact.

The music is jarring as all fvck though. It’s overbearing.

So the dirt isn’t dirty enough and it was too short. Seriously?

The only clean thing in the episode is his helmet. And you’re going to be with this character for a while. Longer than a Star Wars trilogy runtime in fact.

The music is jarring as all fvck though. It’s overbearing.

Maybe I'm not used to HD... everything was shiney and bright...

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not used to HD... everything was shiney and bright...

Everyone complained solo was too dark and murky. It was. Even in the cinema. It’s felt like the projector wasn’t working.
    I’d say this is in response to that. It’s a godsend it’s clear and visible. Especially for model builders and cosplayers.

Ehhh (haha) Boba fett is in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm just so glad we finally have a modern big budget Stars Wars TV series so I'm happy to overlook any issues. From the BBC review this sums it up for me "It’s the familiarity of the world that is most likely to appeal. The series isn’t flashy or gripping enough on its own.".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i enjoyed it, fairly single narrative at the moment , the lead character in every scene .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I had seen on twitter that there was a big reveal at the end of the episode - I had assumed it would be Boba Fett. So when I saw baby Yoda I was pleasantly surprised

Overall I liked it well enough, didn't blow me away or anything. Will continue to watch, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Roar wrote: »
    I had seen on twitter that there was a big reveal at the end of the episode - I had assumed it would be Boba Fett. So when I saw baby Yoda I was pleasantly surprised

Overall I liked it well enough, didn't blow me away or anything. Will continue to watch, though.

That can't be
    baby yoda
    . He would be dead at this stage in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

D3V!L wrote: »
    That can't be
    baby yoda
    . He would be dead at this stage in the story.

yeah the timeline is wrong to think that , this is set after return of the Jedi , before the force awakens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Agree with this.
    I expected to see many gushing reviews of it, but it was a little disappointing if I'm honest.

Too short for one thing.

But its only the start. I hope it will kick on and turn into essential viewing.

Although the costumes, sets etc all excellent, agree about how 'clean' the locations were. Not grimy, dusty, dirty enough. Also thought his helmet should have had more damage to match his suit. More like Boba Fett's. Make it look like he's had an interesting back story.
    Well they showed an armourer making a new pauldron for him so maybe his helmet is also newish. I'd say by the end of the series he'll have a full suit like Jango Fett

Everyone complained solo was too dark and murky. It was. Even in the cinema. It’s felt like the projector wasn’t working.
    I’d say this is in response to that. It’s a godsend it’s clear and visible. Especially for model builders and cosplayers.

I really liked that in solo, seen solo outside the cinema too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Am I the only one who enjoyed the music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed the whole thing. I thought it worked well as an opener, and definitely makes me want to see more. The learning how to ride the thingy was a bit off, that'd be my only complaint. Liked the reveal at the end, liked the whole setup of the bounty hunting guild.

Looking forward to seeing more. Could still turn out to be awful, but it's promising enough as an opener imo.

Advertisement