Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2020, 17:43   #1
Yellow_Fern

How to predict water visablity

Hi
I love the odd spot of snorkling around rocky beaches and I am interested in doing it more. However water visability always seems to be a lottery. If it is poor I dont enjoy snorkling much. How does one predict when there will be good water visability in the sea? Is it based on tides and wind speed?

Last edited by Yellow_Fern; 25-08-2020 at 18:06.
Advertisement
26-08-2020, 06:15   #2
yankinlk

What part of the coast are you asking about? Viz can be a hyper local thing....

Generally rain is bad, runoff from the land worse again. But a few km from a closed beach can be fine if you can get away from it.

Settled conditions for a few days are ideal, but then extended periods of sun and calm breeds algae eventually and you can have that green plankton bloom...
26-08-2020, 07:01   #3
Irishphotodesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Fern View Post
Hi
I love the odd spot of snorkling around rocky beaches and I am interested in doing it more. However water visability always seems to be a lottery. If it is poor I dont enjoy snorkling much. How does one predict when there will be good water visability in the sea? Is it based on tides and wind speed?
If you get to know an area (visit regularly) you can learn how it reacts to different conditions (rainfall, sunshine, coastal winds etc) , after a bit of time (a year or two), you might get a better idea of what the visibility will be like .
26-08-2020, 10:12   #4
Yellow_Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinlk View Post
What part of the coast are you asking about? Viz can be a hyper local thing....

Generally rain is bad, runoff from the land worse again. But a few km from a closed beach can be fine if you can get away from it.

Settled conditions for a few days are ideal, but then extended periods of sun and calm breeds algae eventually and you can have that green plankton bloom...
South east. Thanks a lot. I guess I should find rocky beaches with less streams near

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion