Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft must-have mods?

• 30-11-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im new enough to minecraft and have just been playing the vanilla game. Just wondering is there any must have mods or texture packs that you really cant live without?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

most people love the flying mod. Painterly texture pack is alright too as you can customize it slightly for your own look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

vanilla is king. mods can be fun for messing around but i've never played seriously with any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Now That's What I Call Minecraft - not sure what dev. they're on now but just don't for the love of god let the bunnies breed :D It has loads of mods you can pick and choose from inc. Millenaire

Aether - LOVED this...if slightly terrified of this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

laura-can wrote: »
    Now That's What I Call Minecraft - not sure what dev. they're on now but just don't for the love of god let the bunnies breed :D It has loads of mods you can pick and choose from inc. Millenaire

Aether - LOVED this...if slightly terrified of this

The Yog-Box is another of the same, if they have it updated anyway.

You install the console and then tick a box beside what mod you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You install the console and then tick a box beside what mod you want.

+1 for yogbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Don't think they have updated the yogbox at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

This is all you will ever need.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Better Than Wolves adds cool stuff.

Millenaire adds enhanced NPC villages that interact and trade with you (it also adds storyline missions to boot, but is in a constant state of improvement)

Flan's Mods are neat, if requiring a lot of support mods to work. WW2 Guns adds... well, guns. Planes is the most popular of these mods, adding craftable WW1/2-era planes and biplanes, some armed. Vehicles adds some WW2 vehicles but seems to be very unfinished and needs a lot more work on it. Teams is mainly a server tool. Moods alters your mining and combat ability dependent on a variety of variables.

Risugami adds lots of smaller mods as well as the essential ModLoader. Shelf is small and sweet. Biospheres is nice every once in a while. SpawnerGUI is great for SSP and adds reward to finding dungeons and mine spawners.

And last but not least... Rei's Minimap. Absolute must-have.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭killerhitman

the Technic Pack is also a great set of mods much like the yogbox it adds a hell of alot of things to it and simple to install as well:http://technicpack.net/

also the clay soliders mod is good as it allows you to make armies of clay soliders the battle each other to the death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Modloader and Rei minimap for sure, not sure if MCpatcher for HD textures and Optifine for performance are still updated or necessary since I havn't played since 1.9pre4, but they were great

Also I love Sphax BDCraft texture pack, he's really good with updates and mod support, and has branched into other mods himself too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Updated 2 hours ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Optifine - essential mod
    faithful32 - Good texture pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

No mod or texture pack is "essential". I have played on Vanilla since I bought the game!

There are few mods that take the game in different directions ... eg the Technic pack or Better Than Wolves that introduce complex machinery. However if you are only starting then I would advise you to set up a single player map and focus on that for a good few days before you start on mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Yeah ive tryed a few of these texturepacks now and though alot of them are graphically better looking i couldnt help but stick with the vanilla one ha :) also the only mod ive used so far is optifine just to get a bit of extra fps out of the game. Think ill be sticking with vanilla for the time being cheers for all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just thought I'd ressurect this thread and recommend the Fossil mod. I've pretty much only played vanilla from the start and decided to try a few mods to see what's fun and the fossil mod is great. It adds new fossil blocks which you mine and get new items, like bones and relics. You build new machines which can analyse these blocks and get dinosaur DNA from them, and then you can cultivate this DNA to create and egg, hatch the egg and you've got your own dinosaurs. You can even tame and command the dinosaurs too.

It's great fun, especially if you go mad at the start and create loads of packs of raptors all over the place. The models are really well done, and the whole things is really well thought out.

I would warn though, that since I installed it, I've been unable to create stacks of items from the furnace. If I have 2 iron ore blocks, for example, and put them into the furnace, the first will smelt fine, but the second one will just overwrite the first one, soyou're just left with one iron bar.

The way I dealt with this is to just use Invedit to edit my inventory and change the ore to bars. It's annoying, but it works.

Advertisement