Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

457's rock

also did ye notice that its generally Holden Drivers that are thebiggest Tools on the road as young fellas

I know a few younglads workin out in the yard who got their licences recently,

one went out and bought a 94 EBII Falcon and cruises around everywhere at about 50K

the other bought a VL Comodore and you should smell the tyresmoke as he leaves of an evenin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

duno about oz, but in nz, it's the cops riding the holdens.

and woo! i actually went to a party last night, with some people i konw!

and forcing myself to a halloween party by myself on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Mmmmm, good weather.

Thoroughly enjoying the country life in mid-spring Victoria today. Though my neighbour's effing dog is currently making a noise like an indoor football team with rubber sneakers on one of those shiny gym floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How did ya end up in Rural Vic?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Got my 457 visa. Wahoo!
    I don't have to go home to poverty ridden Ireland!

How long did your 457 take to process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Once I'd submitted the application it took about 2 weeks to approve.

The application took a while to prepare though, as I did it myself. A lot of people go through Visa agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

Oh God! Hellooooo!!!!!!! I've just found ye! :D I'm in Auckland and on lots of forums populated by the people across the water but nobody from Ireland! I was in Ireland in August and am not homesick as such but I miss the humour...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

iIdont want to start trying to get mine until i know if ill still be in the country come jan (and previous crap is cleared up... change for the better! :)) so if i do get my visa i shall celebrate by starting the lengthy process of learning to drive and getting a licence in nz :)

Warning, warning: do you ever want to move home to Ireland? If you do, then having an NZ licence will let you drive in Ireland for up to 12 months. Then you have to go through the WHOLE painful process (pass theory test, get learner permit, have learner permit for six months, pass practical test - 10 week waiting list for the test!, get full licence). Licences for NZ are not accepted for trade-in in Ireland. Grossly unfair, cos Irish licences are traded in in NZ. But that's life in RoI.

The way around it is to go home via a state in Oz that does trade in with NZ licences. You have to be there for long enough to get a postal address, a few weeks in a hostel might do it. Then the Oz licence can be traded-in in Ireland.

'Tis a good thing to tell any Kiwis you meet who might be thinking of moving to Ireland.

ooh! thanks for that! im not sure if i intend to come home or not... ive had a fantastic weekend so far though, so maybe ill say no. either way i wanna learn to drive, mainly for surf convenience. surf whichever beach i want, minus the hassle of having to get a lift with someone so's to move my board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    Oh God! Hellooooo!!!!!!! I've just found ye! :D I'm in Auckland and on lots of forums populated by the people across the water but nobody from Ireland! I was in Ireland in August and am not homesick as such but I miss the humour...

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like what you see. I have to say it has been great to come on here and have a laugh- I miss the Irish humour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Thank Cripes, more Irish people! Anyone else in New Zealand finding it a bit more difficult than you expected to get work??? And howdy to everyone! I'm only here 2 weeks but I love Auckland already

Thank Cripes, more Irish people! Anyone else in New Zealand finding it a bit more difficult than you expected to get work??? And howdy to everyone! I'm only here 2 weeks but I love Auckland already

/waves at dirty Frank. Welcome!

No, I found it pretty easy to get work but then again I'm in Wellington and I arrived 5 months ago.

Keep on going - I'm sure you'll find something, just be flexible I get. What kind of work are you looking for?

i applied for two jobs, and got both! within a week, actually, of applying!

what sort of sectors are youa pplying in? i was looking at looking after people... early childhood, and elderly care.

how do you find auckland? looks scary up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

was over in nz and oz between 2006 and earlier this year and they were crying out for workers in every sector,
    ringin people up from ads in the paper wasnt doin it
    i got work lickety split when i went thru an agency in nz and oz.

there was this one ad i saw in the paper while i was over there, (cant rem the name of the main paper now...) the ad was for people to come work down in the research stations in antartica, apparently the money is amazing and you get to go to antartica!
    if id heard about it in time i definitely would have a applied for it, but alas i was too late

watna wrote: »
    /waves at dirty Frank. Welcome!

No, I found it pretty easy to get work but then again I'm in Wellington and I arrived 5 months ago.

Keep on going - I'm sure you'll find something, just be flexible I get. What kind of work are you looking for?

I'm bein flexible nuff... I think! I got a part time job interview for a job on tuesday so its a start. Maybe my CV just sucks monkey balls or something. I moved in with a Canadian girl and she said best way she found was through an agency so I'm goin trawlin them now. God, the dole was so much easier than this job crap. That Antartica sounds flippin mint! I really like this city so far - Auckland that is. Where is everybody else? The most Irish I've met so far were in Irish bars.

I'm bein flexible nuff... I think! I got a part time job interview for a job on tuesday so its a start. Maybe my CV just sucks monkey balls or something. I moved in with a Canadian girl and she said best way she found was through an agency so I'm goin trawlin them now. God, the dole was so much easier than this job crap. That Antartica sounds flippin mint! I really like this city so far - Auckland that is. Where is everybody else? The most Irish I've met so far were in Irish bars.

Yeah, I got my jon through an agency. I signed up for temping work but they also looked for longer contracts for me. Hays put me forward for the job I'm in now - even though I wouldn't have gone for it myself and it's worked out great. They're willing to keep me on when my residency comes through and I enjoy it. I don't enjoy the pay though. When I think of my Irish salary it makes me cry! I would send in your CV to some agencies though.

Glad you're enjoying Auckland. I really like Wellington too. It's similar enough to home that I don't feel really awkward but different enough that I'm having lots of new experiences and am not bored.

how the FCUK do people live in this heat?! it's unbearable! just drains energy almost entirely. this is gonna be a crap summer. :|

how the FCUK do people live in this heat?! it's unbearable! just drains energy almost entirely. this is gonna be a crap summer. :|

It was fecking freezing in Wellington today. After such a nice weekend and everything - I was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

30-odd here yesterday. Absolutely beautiful.

I went for a run at about 11am on Sunday. Bad idea! it was about 26degrees in Melb. Struggled around 5km.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    It was fecking freezing in Wellington today. After such a nice weekend and everything - I was not impressed.

we had snow and hail on friday. saturday was just cool and cloudy, felt like home, sunday was cloudy, miserable looking, but warm enough.. hit 22/23 degrees here by 10am. pure blue skies, all that bull. i guess we've had reversed weekends.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! we're moving at the end of hte month, thought we had 2 weeks of bond to carry us through. at the end, which woulda been a nice lil saving...

turns out the chick who was living here before (who is now married, living with her fella the other side of town) used the bond up by missing rent payments, as well as racking up some debt in rent as well. fortunately, landlord's not charging us for that, but we don't get the two weeks rent free like we thought, and HAVE to keep paying rent till the 25th, so gonna move on the 29th. BLEH! this is costing a couple hundred dollars more than anticipated already. :(

Its really nice here in Auckland, like a really good summer at home (around 20 deg most days). But the forecast is muck! It was supposed to be raining on Saturday last and I got sunburn, bad as MET Eireann are these guys could learn a thing from Evelyn Cusack and Gerald Fleming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! we're moving at the end of hte month, thought we had 2 weeks of bond to carry us through. at the end, which woulda been a nice lil saving...

turns out the chick who was living here before (who is now married, living with her fella the other side of town) used the bond up by missing rent payments, as well as racking up some debt in rent as well. fortunately, landlord's not charging us for that, but we don't get the two weeks rent free like we thought, and HAVE to keep paying rent till the 25th, so gonna move on the 29th. BLEH! this is costing a couple hundred dollars more than anticipated already. :(
    Always, always the way im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Its really nice here in Auckland, like a really good summer at home (around 20 deg most days). But the forecast is muck! It was supposed to be raining on Saturday last and I got sunburn, bad as MET Eireann are these guys could learn a thing from Evelyn Cusack and Gerald Fleming.

Is that Martin King clown still doing the weather for tv3? I still have nightmares about him.

"And a special HELLO to Bridie in Ballina. Happy 95th Birthday to you Bridie"

F0ck off Martin!

Always, always the way im afraid!

bah! got a letter today telling as all the things we have to do to get our bond back. i dont see what the point is, when hiring professional carpet cleaners will cost about the same amount. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

bah! got a letter today telling as all the things we have to do to get our bond back. i dont see what the point is, when hiring professional carpet cleaners will cost about the same amount. :mad:

Feck them and their carpet cleaners. Get a bit of shake n' vac and run the hoover over it a couple of times and it leaves it smelling nice. Then tell them ya had the 'carpets steam cleaned', there's no such thing as a carpet expert. I've done this loads of times.

Sh!t it's warm! 33degs in Melb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It is disgustingly warm today in Melbourne today. Waiting for the clock to strike 5pm and I am heading to the bottle shop, getting out of these clothes, into my wife beater and shorts and hanging out in the garden for a while sinking a few coldies :cool:

Advertisement