Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.E. Aoife.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Silly post really, this is a good news story potentially for Waterford, the hope is that the ship will become a tourist attraction in Waterford and that the ship replacing the Aofie might be twinned with Waterford too, maybe a brand new ship might be more apt as Waterford has made many positive strides of late, more to come hopefully but some just cant wait to push their negativity onto others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Max Powers wrote: »
    Silly post really, this is a good news story potentially for Waterford, the hope is that the ship will become a tourist attraction in Waterford and that the ship replacing the Aofie might be twinned with Waterford too, maybe a brand new ship might be more apt as Waterford has made many positive strides of late, more to come hopefully but some just cant wait to push their negativity onto others.

I agree with you I must say - I think it's good news. All ships come to the end of their usable lives and it's nice for Waterford to have this involvement. However the report just says it's going to be decommissioned here - I don't see anything to say that it will be a permanent fixture here, in the way the Intrepid in New York or HMS Belfast in London are. Do you know something that isn't in that report?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

The Minister Simon Coveney said in the Dail on 3 December last that the L.E Aoife would be decommissioned and sold. Looks like it's just going to be decommissioned in Waterford and taken away afterwards. Have to agree it doesn't send a positive message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

mountcisco wrote: »
    The Minister Simon Coveney said in the Dail on 3 December last that the L.E Aoife would be decommissioned and sold. Looks like it's just going to be decommissioned in Waterford and taken away afterwards. Have to agree it doesn't send a positive message.

It wont be taken away the crew will stay onboard and the ship will sail back to the Naval Base.

The Aoife has had a long history with Waterford and its very fitting that the Department of Defence recognises Waterfords maritime traditions by having the decommissioning ceremony in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

My point was it goes well with all that has been decommissioned in this City.
    The eventual cull of both Bus Eireann, Iarnrod Eireann, Waterford Airport to go along with Waterford Crystal.

As for pushing negativity Max, I only comment on what I see.
    Take off your blinkers!

• Advertisement

My point was it goes well with all that has been decommissioned in this City.
    The eventual cull of both Bus Eireann, Iarnrod Eireann, Waterford Airport to go along with Waterford Crystal.

As for pushing negativity Max, I only comment on what I see.
    Take off your blinkers!

No blinkers here.Your comment smacked off someone who couldnt wait to spread a negative story when the decommisioning ceremony story is not negative. Jobs loss are a justifiable negative story, poor health care is a justifiable negative story, losing services is a justifiable negative story but spreading stories that are not really negative or being another kick in the teeth for us is just plain wrong, why push something that is not negative, it is not I with the blinkers.
    It is thoroughly disappointing to learn from mount cisco that it will be sold (to whom?) surely it would be possible to do Eddie Mulligans plan/hope that it would become an attraction, thought it was a great idea. I suggested in a previous thread that we should have added an extra 5% to the LPT which could help fund capital and worthy projects that benefit us all, this would be an ideal case, buy the boat, for small money and get the project started.

I suggested in a previous thread that we should have added an extra 5% to the LPT which could help fund capital and worthy projects that benefit us all, this would be an ideal case, buy the boat, for small money and get the project started.

Another bail out for the government! We pay our taxes Max to pay for such!How much more to you want to put on the people of Waterford backs? How much would it cost to maintain & to have a crew on board? Probably a Job Bridge or Tus schemes to play with the unemployment figures!

I couldn't imagine thousands lining up to see it. It's not after all the HMS Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

mikeym wrote: »
    It wont be taken away the crew will stay onboard and the ship will sail back to the Naval Base.

The Aoife has had a long history with Waterford and its very fitting that the Department of Defence recognises Waterfords maritime traditions by having the decommissioning ceremony in Waterford.

OK, so it will be taken away by the crew to the Naval Base and then sold. What many Waterford people are seeing here is that a ship which "has had a long history with Waterford" is being decommissioned and sold. This is seen by some as just another symbol of the decline of Waterford, and it's perfectly understandable. To be honest I can't see why politicians think it's a good thing for Waterford to have a ship decommissioned there. It's perceived by some as a negative thing. Aoife's sister ship L.E Emer, a year older, was sold for 320,000 euro to a Nigerian businessman in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm going to try buy it and will park it just off the Plaza to live in it. Next time Enda visits I'd check if the cannon still works when I point it at the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

It's just a large boat being decommissioned, nothing more.

The only people who will think of this as 'another decline' in Waterford are the people in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

lads the vessel is gone past its expiry date with regards being fit for service, she will more than likely be bought by a multimillionaire and turned into a luxury yaght like the first of the PV,s the L.E. Deirdre, but she saw a sorry end as during the refit the owner died so she was scrapped.
    former naval vessels are highly sought after because of there tough hulls, L.E. Emer as far as i know was purchased by a rich nigerian.
    the L.E. james joyce which is to be her replacement will more than likely be twinned with waterford??

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

ghly disappointing to learn from mount cisco that it will be sold (to whom?) surely it would be possible to do Eddie Mulligans plan/hope that it would become an attraction, thought it was a great idea. I suggested in a previous thread that we should have added an extra 5% to the LPT which could help fund capital and worthy projects that benefit us all, this would be an ideal case, buy the boat, for small money and get the project started.

there are plans afoot to keepit in Waterford - money depending - i for one remember the Guilimot Lighthouse ship on wexford quays when growing up - there was always activity on board at weekends - small entry fee - kids parties onboard, im sure Waterford folk could make it work!

jennygirl wrote: »
    there are plans afoot to keepit in Waterford - money depending - i for one remember the Guilimot Lighthouse ship on wexford quays when growing up - there was always activity on board at weekends - small entry fee - kids parties onboard, im sure Waterford folk could make it work!
    On wlr eddie mulligan mentioning plan still to keep it here, that's great,I think it would be great, kids and adults love that type of stuff.it's on this weekend. Looking forward to the gun salute being compared by some on here as another attack on Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

What time is the DE-comissioning ceremony starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

marlin vs wrote: »
    What time is the DE-comissioning ceremony starting at?

Saturday 31st 3pm. Id advise you to be early to get a good viewing spot.

i heard/read somewhere that the last ship to be sold was sold privately for about 300,000....not much, worth bidding for LE aoife? Obvioulsy some sort of plan on how it would be maintained would need to be part of the councils bid if it went down that route. Surely, they would sell it to the council for less. I think their are volunteers out there, i was on a similar ship (WW2 one) in the USA recently, all volunteers, free to enter but you give a donation obviously. Here, its not so much the initial cost but the insurance and mainteance costs that are the biggest hinderence probably.

i heard/read somewhere that the last ship to be sold was sold privately for about 300,000....not much, worth bidding for LE aoife? Obvioulsy some sort of plan on how it would be maintained would need to be part of the councils bid if it went down that route. Surely, they would sell it to the council for less. I think their are volunteers out there, i was on a similar ship (WW2 one) in the USA recently, all volunteers, free to enter but you give a donation obviously. Here, its not so much the initial cost but the insurance and mainteance costs that are the biggest hinderence probably.
    yeah the L.E.Emer was bought by a rich nigerian man, good luck to him she did,nt have pepe le pu as her ships insignia for nothing, had major trouble with her sewage plant years ago but was sorted and it was prob the only ship in the fleet tpo spend most of its time in the basin in the naval base with technical problems haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

wont be coming to waterford for any maritime feature/museum now,
    thejournal.ie/malta-aoife-1948564-Feb2015/

wont be coming to waterford for any maritime feature/museum now,
    thejournal.ie/malta-aoife-1948564-Feb2015/
    link is'nt working

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

link is'nt working

You never know seeing that the Maltese have rubbished the idea.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/malta-calls-navy-ship-gift-junk-313894.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Cork already has haulbowiline and a maritime museum !. This is a selfish decision !

The government has given the vessel to Malta on humanitarian grounds!
    E500,000 would have done quite an amount of 'humanitarian' work in regional
    hospitals!

Will The Labour Party ever pull the plug on this shambles of a government?

The government has given the vessel to Malta on humanitarian grounds!
    E500,000 would have done quite an amount of 'humanitarian' work in regional
    hospitals!

Will The Labour Party ever pull the plug on this shambles of a government?
    they love wasting our money!!! fianna fail does'nt have a patch on this coalition jaysus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My father nearly choked on his lunch when he heard. they even had expressions of interest from parties willing to pay. Typical.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My father nearly choked on his lunch when he heard. they even had expressions of interest from parties willing to pay. Typical.

I was as disappointed by anyone as its not being given to or bought by Waterford but in fairness, you can tell your father that it is being used to prevent people from risking their lives to get to a place where they can live and work a normal life.
    By your rationale, we should give zero to charity, if that is what you are saying, there is an argument for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Surly the cash offer on it would have been just as useful to the patrolling of the Adriatic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Waterford should buy the Jeanie Johnson famine ship, that would bring in a few visitors, it's worth only €150K now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I take it we all know why they didn't want to give/sell the ship to Waterford?

Always comes back to politics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement