Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad Parking in Waterford

• 06-01-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭

I'm not wanting to name and shame drivers like a Facebook group did recently with regards to bad parking. But there are areas in Waterford City that rules regarding parking is constantly being broken.

Over the last while, I have noticed the following two:
    - Lidl on the Tramore Road. The big yellow rectangle outside the front doors and trolley area. This area is to allow cars to go past each other when parking around the corner at the left of the building. Why people have to park here is beyond me. There must be at least 200 spaces alone surrounding Lidl, but I counted 10 cars on the yellow rectangle on Sunday.

- TK Maxx/Tesco Poleberry. Main gripes is that little parking area outside the front of TK Maxx, and the footpath across from it. The parking area can only hold a few cars. No problem if they are parking ok, but there are some who would try to find the smallest nudge of a space, and park the car there, leaving nearly 75% of the car still on the road sticking out. The footpath across from it, which has double yellow lines always has cars on it. It's probably also hampering the delivery trucks when entering or leaving Tesco.Yet again, there is a perfectly usable parking areas in Tesco.

I could add Tesco Ardkeen, but I think the whole of waterford knows whats going on out there.

Any other areas in Waterford where people feel drivers are always blatantly breaking the rules regarding parking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Clamping is to good for some people, towing away is the only language they'd understand.

Personally, I just don't park like that but is hate for Waterford to get clamping and towing.

Traffic wardens only seem to cover the same few streets that they will find expired tickets on.

Lidl is private property so up to the drivers to behave.

I never shop there, it's just not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

worst place is the quay...... its an actuall joke some days as people park arseways on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The worst day is sunday, no traffic wardens on duty so its a free for all and you can park wherever you like.

I've even seen people drive into John Roberts Sq, leave the car and head off shopping. The guards dont seem to give a sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Barrack street. When popping over to spar, instead of pulling into one of three free spaces they park length ways and block all three and if they are not blocking spaces then they are blocking cars in by doing the same thing.
    I cant understand why people won't walk an extra 20 paces to get to a door, if the doorway was wide enough they would park in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

You know in advance you're going to come upon bad/inconsiderate parking every time you drive into town (just like in nearly every town/city on the planet). What do you do? Get on with life or start an internet moan thread. Jebus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Outside the gpo the little road alongside it. people park their cars on the footpath and nip in to do their business. CARS ARE FOR THE ROADS PEDESTRIANS USE THE FOOTPATHS GET THE FLUCK OFF THEM .. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Those paths lasted a few months outside the reg when they had to put flower tubs on it to stop cars parking.

I could think of 20 more locations for the bollards they put outside the del LA salle in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I'm sure there are also hundreds drivers who would like to thank to city council for the brand new parking lanes located mostly in the city centre. New lanes are kind a reddish colour and has a pictograms showing a bicycle (don't know why).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Arundel Square. People double parking outside the legally parked cars, and with traffic coming from Peter Street towards Exchange Street, and High Street towards Arundel Square and Exchange Street, it can cause chaos. I was reversing out of a space there yesterday, around 16.30, and there was traffic coming from both ways. There was a tw@ double parked behind the loading bay space. The jeep in the loading bay (we won't debate if it was business or pleasure parking there) was trying to get out, because of traffic coming from High Street towards Peter Street i couldn't go around the double parked tw@, and someone coming from High Street was waiting for me to move so they could pull into the space i vacated. I beeped a few times, and no way was yer man moving. My passenger got out to ask him to move, and yer man said he would move in a while, he was rolling a cigarette!!! He had the whole place blocked up because of his ignorance.

old gregg wrote: »
    You know in advance you're going to come upon bad/inconsiderate parking every time you drive into town (just like in nearly every town/city on the planet). What do you do? Get on with life or start an internet moan thread. Jebus.

highly disagree with you, larger cities have clampers and hate them as much as you want they have helped controlled bad parking.....
    smaller cities/towns like waterford have what two or three wardens to patrol the whole city, never going to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

iseegirls wrote: »

I could add Tesco Ardkeen, but I think the whole of waterford knows whats going on out there.

:eek: what is going on out there?

There used to be cars abandoned in front of the doors blocking the pedestrian crossing but bollards have helped a bit.

Is the only language understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Clamping is to good for some people, towing away is the only language they'd understand.

Personally, I just don't park like that but is hate for Waterford to get clamping and towing.

Traffic wardens only seem to cover the same few streets that they will find expired tickets on.

Lidl is private property so up to the drivers to behave.

I never shop there, it's just not safe.

I have to disagree,I have been shopping in lidil for over two years now and the only danger that I have encountered on a regular basics is the bad trolly driving instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

looksee wrote: »
    :eek: what is going on out there?

Lads are lining up in the car park firing petrol bombs at each other, vigilantes protesting about same and the guards are just pulling up to use the ATM and fecking off again, utter madness out there.

What is becoming of this fine city.

I have to disagree,I have been shopping in lidil for over two years now and the only danger that I have encountered on a regular basics is the bad trolly driving instore.

If there are no spaces at the back of lidl where the disabled spaces are located, I dont shop there. There is no path from your car to the door, I'm usually holding 2 toddlers hands. .You should be able to park down from the bakery extension and walk along the wall to the trolleys, but there are cars parked in the yellow hatched area.

It just not safe.

In lisduggan, they have a pedestrian crossing from the car park to the trolleys, in Aldi, there are spaces where we can go from the car to the path and straight to the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Parking in Waterford is terrible but what really sickens me is folk using disabled parking or parent and child spaces out of pure disrespect and down right laziness when they have no right to use either.

Another thing that gets me is the lack of any driving skills as large amount of drivers in the city are unable to park inside their alloted / marked space, this usually leads to other users of the carpark being unable to easily get back into their cars also they may have suffered damage to their car as the result of some fool banging their doors off other cars as they parked to close. We should have a system like in the UK wherby parking outwit of your space in public and private parking usually attracts a larger fine than that for not having a parking ticket.

Finally the council really need to put up bollards in the paths to stop this "I have the right to park anywhere" mentality as at the end of the day its their infrastructure which is being ruined and damaged.

Says a lot when lines mean nothing, bollards are the only thing that works.

I'd hate to have clampers in the city but it's only a matter of time.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Says a lot when lines mean nothing, bollards are the only thing that works.

I'd hate to have clampers in the city but it's only a matter of time.

and bollard dont really work.... the biggest joke is the school just down from police station....
    narrow road for years was a nightmare cause of complete idiots of parents parking on both sides of road, blocking it... so they put in bollards.. now they still park on both sides of the road from where the bollards stop its laughable as they are parking on the path outside the cop station....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

double yellow lines, loading bays, bollards or anything else mean nothing in Waterford. parking by some people is a disgrace. they would park on your head if you stood still long enough. hazard warning lights don't give you the licence to abandon your car!

Jambo wrote: »
    parent and child spaces

Possibly about to start a heated debate with this, but, why should these spaces exist? I don't agree with them, and would much prefer to see OAP spaces instead. Elderly people could require closer parking, but parents should not get automatic rights just because they have kids.

I don't park in them myself, unless there are literally no other spaces around, but only because i couldn't be bothered trying to defend my position on them to strangers on the street who take exception to it.

There's also no legal requirement not to park in them. And before anyone asks, no, i don't have kids of my own, and no, i don't care about the struggles parents may have with bringing kids to the shopping centres. That's another annoyance of mine, but that's for a different thread. Parents decided to have kids, shouldn't mean they get automatic rights at anything. I've decided not to have kids, so can i have my "No Children" spaces near the doors?

• Advertisement

Possibly about to start a heated debate with this, but, why should these spaces exist? I don't agree with them

they exist because the business wants to attract parents as they spend more money than childless couples or singles, in general.

families are cash cows to these big supermarkets... your not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Possibly about to start a heated debate with this, but, why should these spaces exist? I don't agree with them, and would much prefer to see OAP spaces instead. Elderly people could require closer parking, but parents should not get automatic rights just because they have kids.

I don't park in them myself, unless there are literally no other spaces around, but only because i couldn't be bothered trying to defend my position on them to strangers on the street who take exception to it.

There's also no legal requirement not to park in them. And before anyone asks, no, i don't have kids of my own, and no, i don't care about the struggles parents may have with bringing kids to the shopping centres. That's another annoyance of mine, but that's for a different thread. Parents decided to have kids, shouldn't mean they get automatic rights at anything. I've decided not to have kids, so can i have my "No Children" spaces near the doors?

It's nothing to do with being near the shop doors. It's for door opening space to strap.in a child/childseat. And so you don't have your car door damaged when a child swings a door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Mabey they should do away with some some of the parent/child spaces and put in a few "arsehole" spaces. There seems to be alot of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe they should call them 'buggy spaces' or 'parent and baby spaces' to hint to those adults and their teenage offspring that that is not what is meant by 'parent and child'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Samsgirl wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with being near the shop doors. It's for door opening space to strap.in a child/childseat. And so you don't have your car door damaged when a child swings a door open.

Exactly. This is why they are wider than normal spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The people in Lidl who insist on parking on the lovely yellow box right outside the front of the store adjacent to the empty car park are bad enough, not only do they break the rules , they back out on top of the pedestrians walking into the supermarket because they are parked where the pedestrians should be walking.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The people in Lidl who insist on parking on the lovely yellow box right outside the front of the store adjacent to the empty car park are bad enough, not only do they break the rules , they back out on top of the pedestrians walking into the supermarket because they are parked where the pedestrians should be walking.

I whole-heartedly agree, wonder who owns that carpark / business park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I am amazed no-one has mentioned the brain-cell free zones that are School-run parking. At any school you mention, there will be parents (sorry girls but mostly women) trying to drive in the door of the school, parking in the middle of the road, parking in disabled spots. You name the illegal manouevre and it is being performed in the 10 minutes either side of school start times.

I do the Ballygunner run. My favourite one is the spot where the road narrows as you go out the country. It is wide enough for two cars just about and there is a large speed bump right at the gap (one of those rubber yokes you drive up on, drive across, and down the other side). Two yards further on the ditch has been dug away to provide a long strip of safe off-road parking. Yet, incredibly, every morning, one car after another parks ON the speed bump!

It not just that it then renders the road a one-way system, or even that it makes it highly dangerous for little kids to be walking out from behind these vehicles, it's just that there is something absolutely breath-taking about illegal parking on a safety feature.

robtri wrote: »
    they exist because the business wants to attract parents as they spend more money than childless couples or singles, in general.

families are cash cows to these big supermarkets... your not...
    Samsgirl wrote: »

They are the first, and best, proper answers I've gotten for those spaces being in existence. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Any time I go to the former Superquinn in the morning there is a particular lone woman who parks in two parent and child spaces. Because taking one space you shouldn't use just isn't enough.

Advertisement