Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from Amazon.de

• 29-11-2012 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys does anybody know if it is a good idea to buy a laptop from germany?

Amazon.de has some really good prices but was concerned with the language of the OS, the keyboard QWERTZ vs QWERTY issue, and the mains adapter plug.

Are there workarounds for these issues or is it not worth it? does anybody have any experience with it?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Work around would mean replacing the keyboard, and as for plug you can just use an adapter which converts from European to UK/Irish plug.

What are the prices? I think it'd have to be a big jump for it to tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dorro6391

About a 400-500 euro difference

So would the OS be in English or German?

Could i just get keyboard stickers for the keys and change the software mapping to uk qwerty keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭digitaldr

dorro6391 wrote: »
    About a 400-500 euro difference

So would the OS be in English or German?

Could i just get keyboard stickers for the keys and change the software mapping to uk qwerty keyboard?

If you're carefully it should be possible to pop off the keyboard caps and just change them around. Remapping works well - there's lots of freeware software. Another option would be to just replace the keyboard with an English one - usually not too difficult. If it's a new model it might take a while for parts to become available though. I would imagine the OS would be German :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dorro6391

Would there be import tax when importing from inside the EU? ive computers from the uk and never been charged import duty, vat etc.

Also could i not just change the language of the OS within windows or reinstall and choose english on a fresh reinstall?

Probably not worth all the hassle....

Asus G74 on amazon.de for 999 euro which isnt bad at all

Any decent gaming laptops for around that price i can get in ireland or uk?

thanks for your help

Advertisement