Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Series 24 (2017)

• 05-03-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭

OK, it's the reboot of the reboot of the reboot, let's see if they can keep it together. So far they're making much better use of Reid and Harris, and now they're playing tag on the road to Baikonur in Kazakhstan ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The scripting in the studio is awful, making Matt Le Blanc out to be like Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Pretty poor I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Fairly decent, yeah some of the studio bits are a bit stilted, but it shows promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

meh, and where the feck was the stig?

Actually yeah, where was the stig, he was mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

They've certainly taken it back to it's roots which is probably a wise move, not many other places this format can go.....people will either like it or hate it with not much middle ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Good episode.

Only bad part was the guys commentary over the lap.

Other than that it was better than most of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Don Juan D N11

Thought it was a step in the right direction with a few chuckles thrown in. Will tune in for episode two!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought it was a much better show with just the three guys. It is now essentially top gear with 3 different lads but I have no problem with that.

It did come off as very scripted. I'd hope they get better at that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought it was a much better show with just the three guys. It is now essentially top gear with 3 different lads but I have no problem with that.

It did come off as very scripted. I'd hope they get better at that kind of stuff.

It was a hell of a lot better than the scripted GT that's for sure. All they need is to get that chemistry which won't happen straight away but it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Can't believe what he did to the Alfa... :-(

They all looked shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That's the word of the day: "frangible".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Again, it's a meh from me. I'm just not feeling it. Yes it is much better than that horrible last season but I'm starting to dislike Harris a lot. I'll still watch, nice cars, nice montages and nice cars..... it just needs something, I dunno........

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Again, it's a meh from me. I'm just not feeling it. Yes it is much better than that horrible last season but I'm starting to dislike Harris a lot. I'll still watch, nice cars, nice montages and nice cars..... it just needs something, I dunno........
    Harris is the only one that comes with proper car cred.

They do seem to be trying to pigeonhole them into defined characters. Harris is grumpy, LeBlanc is Mr Tidy, Rory is the common man.

The previous 3 earned their reputations, Captain slow wasn't christened, he earned the name.

The producers are still trying to force things.

They're trying to rebuild a tarnished brand with a new team, and that's going to take time. I'm quite content to moderate my expectations somewhat for now.

Harris seems to be taking over Chris Evans role as 'Mr Shouty' .....looks very awkward in the studio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Has taken a step towards old Top Gear. The Alfa piece was basically a traditional car review. Top gear hasn't done anything like that in years. The trip to Vegas was again very much about the cars versus personalities in a way TG hasn't been doing.

that's all fine with me but not sure it will do much for audience numbers.

The Alfa segment is where the show ultimately wants to be, good factual motor journalism, well presented and filmed, a balanced review, and then try to drift the car sideways through something Frangible.

TG 1.0 with Tiff, Quentin etc, very much about car reviews, some humor

TG 2.0 CHM era, very much about cocking about, some cars involved

TG 2.1 seems to be heading for a balance between both

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

it just needs something, I dunno........

Probably the ironic/sarcastic Clarkson humour mixed in with a bit of mild zenopho........I mean nationality banter!

It now very much feels like they are trying to simply recreate the old show with 3 new hosts and since they won't be attempting to use a similar style humour and it's obvious the 3 of them aren't really friends off camera (yet, if ever) then I don't see it working in the short term at least.

"Dr. No-Hair" ... oh dear. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That Bond skit was easily the best segment in top gear since Clarkson and Co left.

First time it's felt like Leblancs show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Now get out of the ****ing car and.........:D

Nice to see Sabine back on her old stomping ground: tearing chunks out of der Nordschleife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I think there's too much time spent with the guest, the interview was a bit flat. Also the segment where Chris is "angry" and trying to teach them to drive should be dropped. It's getting old very quickly.

I also don't get the discrepancy in the lap times, the old cars were much closer together, but maybe that's me.

Apart from that it's very good, I loved the 3 segments; the Aston v Merc, the Golf and the Fiat, especially the nod to the original 124.

Sabine should keep on doing Ring segments, but they could throw up the odd time on it. Still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Too character driven .it was always about the cars not the presenters.They failed too appreciate that in the final years of the previous series and continue with it more so with this one.
    Bland presenters,boring delivery arkward Interaction and badly scripted. Le Blanc might be interesting in fairness if the leash was taken off,otherwise the guests are the best part of it,perhaps because they aren't told what to say.

bnt wrote: »
    Nice to see Sabine back on her old stomping ground: tearing chunks out of der Nordschleife.
    Sabine is a lunatic, she's great. I thought that bit and even the bit before looked more like an advertisement than ever before. I don't know what actual lap times are like for that car but I don't think it would have had such an easy time on the Nords even in the hands of Sabine. The other cars were basically getting out of her way and making the car look good. It all felt very contrived. Good, but contrived.
    Red Kev wrote: »
    I think there's too much time spent with the guest, the interview was a bit flat. Also the segment where Chris is "angry" and trying to teach them to drive should be dropped.
    I'd agree with that, they're not letting a relationship develop naturally. May got the name captain slow naturally through circumstance, now they're handing out personalities and Harris is getting the short end of the script. Maybe he's just super excited to be there and he'll get more comfortable.

LeBlanc gets better with each show, the scripted nature of it probably suits him and highlights a lack of training in Harris. Reid looks like he was born and raised as a TV presenter, but he's almost too perfect, the other two have obvious flaws, Reid seems to take everything in his stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Sabine is a lunatic, she's great. I thought that bit and even the bit before looked more like an advertisement than ever before. I don't know what actual lap times are like for that car but I don't think it would have had such an easy time on the Nords even in the hands of Sabine. The other cars were basically getting out of her way and making the car look good. It all felt very contrived. Good, but contrived.

Not so contrived I think. That Golf has a best time round the Nordschleife of 7:47, so right up there with most of the exotica she was overtaking. That, and it was in the hands of a professional driver and 'ring expert who wouldn't have been personally liable for any damages caused vs Touristfarhten drivers in their own cars being careful not to crash.

Anjobe wrote: »
    Not so contrived I think. That Golf has a best time round the Nordschleife of 7:47, so right up there with most of the exotica she was overtaking. That, and it was in the hands of a professional driver and 'ring expert who wouldn't have been personally liable for any damages caused vs Touristfarhten drivers in their own cars being careful not to crash.
    Sabine makes it believable, but some of the cars she was overtaking clearly got out of her way maybe they just see the car coming and let it through but some of those cars would have left the golf for dust every time a straight came up. It's still 20 seconds slower than the likes of the GT3.

It just seemed somewhat set up at times, I know that track pretty well and the shots were jumping all over the track, it wasn't in sequence. Like it is a scripted show, you can't set a fast lap time and have a camera car on the track too. I just thought they over did it a bit. The GT3 is not slower than the golf for example, it's just not. Yes Sabine is going to make a massive difference but it was pulling to the side just as they got to a straight, it's likely in the real world if you left the camera on them the GT3 would just shot past again.

Sabine makes it believable, but some of the cars she was overtaking clearly got out of her way maybe they just see the car coming and let it through but some of those cars would have left the golf for dust every time a straight came up. It's still 20 seconds slower than the likes of the GT3.

It just seemed somewhat set up at times, I know that track pretty well and the shots were jumping all over the track, it wasn't in sequence. Like it is a scripted show, you can't set a fast lap time and have a camera car on the track too. I just thought they over did it a bit. The GT3 is not slower than the golf for example, it's just not. Yes Sabine is going to make a massive difference but it was pulling to the side just as they got to a straight, it's likely in the real world if you left the camera on them the GT3 would just shot past again.

It was an open track day .....most of those supercars were probably been driven by someone not capable of getting even half of what they can do......put someone like the Stig in one of those and it's not even a contest

• Advertisement

The studio bit was somewhat hit and miss, but Leblanc was good, I really liked the dung spreader bit, it was short, entertaining, and somewhat informative, also helped that both of them seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves

Advertisement