Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on first show?

• 29-05-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

To me this show felt so awkward and neither presenter felt natural, it all felt to scripted and fake. The lack of charisma by either felt worse when they tried and the studio audience was completely new as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thought the studio work was wooden and forced, sound was terrible in studio with an awful echo.
    Some of the stuff out and about was OK as it's just lads having a bit of crack in cars.

Has a long way to go to be a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well now we know what car crash TV looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Some say...Matt LeBlanc is still reading from the autocue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Being covered in the new trailer thread already. Maybe a separate thread for reviews makes sense - will leave it to a mod to split the threads if they want.

Posted my opinion here (link to avoid cross-posting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

It was never about the cars, those guys just worked together it was awesome, you cant create chemistry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

It was desperate altogether. Managed to watch the first half hour before I had to turn it off.

You can't beat the three amigos.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

It was fine. Same show just different people. I like Matt leBlanc, seems like he will grow into it

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

They'll need to get a few shows behind them before it starts to fit together. When Clarkson and co first started together they weren't exactly brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but only Matt worked there (and only in a limited capacity) and the rest of the crew (esp. Evans running around like a child on a sugar rush) were simply a waste of time and people; I'll simply not bother going forward short of it starting to get glowing reviews somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It was o.k. Felt very wooden, the laser tracking bit was a bit silly. I'm sure they're aware they've massive shoes to fill and will relax a bit as they settle in. I don't know, we'll see how it goes but I'm not convinced Chris Evans was a good choice as presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Evans was annoying.

Matt Le Blanc was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I really wanted to enjoy this, but frankly I wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't forced myself - it looked like just yet another car show on Dave or Discovery or something, with a bunch of people driving and shouting things. Which is great if driving and shouting things in loud cars is your sort of thing.

LeBlanc was an awful lot better and more likeable than I thought he'd be.
    Evans was very scripted and came across very square. "That's not in the rules".

I suppose it does take time to build chemistry, but I can't see them being given this time - there were very low expectations for the old Top Gear which gave it breathing space to grow, this one will just get panned continuously by high profile reviewers.

What I find most odd is that they simply copied the old format (with very minor changes, perhaps not for the better). If you have exactly the same show and only change the presenters, you'll only be judged on the presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

hmmm wrote: »
    What I find most odd is that they simply copied the old format (with very minor changes, perhaps not for the better). If you have exactly the same show and only change the presenters, you'll only be judged on the presenters.

Good point actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Same set, same format, with even more annoying presenters. Evans rushing a round like maniac high fiving LeBlanc. Cringeworthy. And he couldn't even pronounce Sabine properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

MillField wrote: »
    They'll need to get a few shows behind them before it starts to fit together. When Clarkson and co first started together they weren't exactly brilliant.

Exactly. People have forgotten how awkward it was then Clarkson and co started off the current style of Top Gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Suckler

lertsnim wrote: »
    Exactly. People have forgotten how awkward it was then Clarkson and co started off the current style of Top Gear

Also how cheesy and scripted it got since 2006/2007 roughly. The specials kept it afloat for me at times. The same cries were heard when Tiff Needell and Quentin Wilson left, "it's not as good/ never be as good as the previous / New presenters are up to it"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

didnt like it. cant stand evans. LeBlanc was reading scripts....no personality of his allowed show through.

Gave up watching it after the bit on the beach. Seemed like Sabine is only a bit part presenter...not a 100% of shot, like evans & LeBlanc. shame as shes the only proper driver of them.

the reasonably priced car slot is now a joke. too much off road /mud/water to make it a proper lap of a race track. the whole point was to see how well a celeb could drive an average car around a lap of a road track.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'll reserve judgement yet. Le Blanc was the better of the two presenters, it was all very staged but there were times in the Nomad where he seemed more natural. Evans is annoying, he's just jumping around like a spare tit looking for attention. Very little of the interesting people, Harris has been relegated to some web show that can't be watched outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ScumLord wrote: »
    Evans is annoying, he's just jumping around like a spare tit looking for attention.

You pretty much summed up his entire career since day one :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

TFI friday meets Topgear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I thought it was okay. Not sure what people are expecting, there wasn't really a huge amount of studio time to deem anything scripted or wooden in my opinion. The old format was just as scripted. I'll wait and see another few episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I found the Robins part a bit bemusing. Matt seemed to be sentimental about driving his into Blackpool but we were shown no motivation for it. He was lumped on the back of a truck for the most part, giving out that he was given a car that didn't work and all of a sudden "The Robin may not have driven to Blackpool, but at the least the Robin will drive into Blackpool."

I think Chris should stand aside in more of a Master of Ceremonies role. Matt may of been a bit beside himself with the audience flanking him, but I think he had more awareness of charisma with the Camera.

Haven't seen the Extra Top Gear, but I think Top Gear needs more than Chris and Matt too. With Sabine only being in as a small part of a feature. I really don't want to see this as being something lead by Chris, with everyone else as an accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I thought it was ok but Evans really grated. Le blanc outside of the studio was good. I understand why they have only minimally changed the format initially. Changing the presenters and the format at the same time would alleniate the faithful viewers as it would in no way be top gear anymore. I imagine they will slowly change the format bit by bit to make it more their show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Chris Evans continuing to be shouty on Twitter about the first show -
    "That's without the 1.2 million views (so far !) on the i Player. Obviously as these ate THE ACTUAL FACTS, they'l continue to ignore them."

"More bad news for the Top Gear haters: consolidated figures for the first episode of the new series have now past 5.6 million and counting."

"Top Gear series 1 episode 23, catch it again tonight 7 pm BBC2. That's when it's on. FACT."

"Top Gear audience grew throughout the hour. FACT. Won its slot. FACT. Still number one on i Player. FACT. These are THE FACTS folks."

"The new Top Gear is a hit. OFFICIALLY. 23 % audience share. 12% MORE than the opening episode of the last series. These are the FACTS"

That the first episode drew big numbers reflects on Clarkson, Hammond and May's show, not yours. Your show will be a hit if it can keep those numbers (which are already well down on the series 22)

You would expect viewing figures to drop further for the next couple of programmes as the first show back would have piqued a lot of curiosity and interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

cdeb wrote: »
    Chris Evans continuing to be shouty on Twitter about the first show -

That the first episode drew big numbers reflects on Clarkson, Hammond and May's show, not yours. Your show will be a hit if it can keep those numbers (which are already well down on the series 22)

You would expect viewing figures to drop further for the next couple of programmes as the first show back would have piqued a lot of curiosity and interest.

Really shows how delusional he is to rely on "facts" that would have been the case regardless of the quality of the show. People were going to tune in to see and judge anyway.

Evans is a terrible presenter and narrator. "FACT"

The problem for the BBC is, everyone said they hated Clarkson too, but in reality they loved to hate him and tuned in to get upset by him. So BBC will wonder if they've got the same thing in Evans.

I don't think it's the same thing. Clarkson is who he is. He's outdated, upperclass, cock sure, typical upper class Brit really, that's a familiar character that you can't really copy, your either a snob, or you're not a snob. That's why people watch him, he's like your grumpy uncle, or prince Charles, interesting because of he's a genuine oddity.

Evans just isn't that. He may grow into the show, I don't think it's fair to judge someone on one performance, he could very well be the kind of person that gets hyper when they're anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

With the line-up the picked, it went exactly as you would have expected and feared ;)

sunny2004 wrote: »
    With the line-up the picked, it went exactly as you would have expected and feared ;)
    I was expecting something much better when they had Sabine and Harris on the payroll. We only get to see Sabine for a few minutes and Harris gets relegated to some side show. Both have actual car show experience, both come with their own legion of fans, their both experts at everything to do with cars. It's such a waste hiding them in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

HighLine wrote: »
    Really shows how delusional he is to rely on "facts" that would have been the case regardless of the quality of the show. People were going to tune in to see and judge anyway.

Evans is a terrible presenter and narrator. "FACT"

You left out "...with a massive inferiority complex and chip on his shoulder" if those tweets are anything to go by.

The guy has been peddling the same routine since the 90s and apparently can't grasp that people don't watch TG to see TFI Cars or him jumping around and shouting at the audience/camera like a hyperactive 4 year-old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The old show was scripted but Evans & Le Blanc hammered it home that it was scripted. The other 3 had their moments of quality, I dont think these 2 will get that far if Evans is that fixated by the number crunching.

Advertisement